Forrest Lake Aug 25th

nate__82

The Mighty Green
bigzuki said:
sweet. i think we'll shoot for forrest lake then. Maybe you could show me where mineral basin starts so i can hit it another time. We'll see how capable the vehicles are in our group then decide on there. was there water in the river last time you went (the river you cross for forrest lake)?

mineral basin is pretty easy to find. just keep going on that dirt road as you pass forrest lake (mary ellen gultch trail is just off to the left as you crest the hill past forrest lake trail head) and be sure to stay to the left when the road forks. just follow that road past the mine tailings (another fun trail arount the backside of the mine tailings: dutchmans grave) and the main road turns into the trail, and goes all the way to the backside of snowbird. its very beautiful and a fun trail!

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
bigzuki said:
yeah. i definately won't be stock. I just wanted people to give it a try. That's exciting that it's about like rattlesnake.

If you want to know where it is, just tag along and we'll show ya ;) . forrest lake is in American Fork Canyon. At tibble fork you keep going straight after the parking lot. After about 30 min on that road, the trail is up on the right. I've been there twice, and it's a great place to wheel. The scenery up there is amazing. hopefully we'll see some moose this time, but I don't know when moose season is. I've neve even seen one.

where's the gulch trail, and is it fun?

can any of you make it?

Mary Ellens gulch trail is about 1/4 mile farther than the Forest Lake turn off on the left side. Trail #111. It's a fun trail- most stock 4X4's can make it. Very pretty scenery up there with some cool mines to explore.

sixstringsteve

does it start near a parking lot with some campsites nearby? I think i've been up there exploring without knowing the name of the trail. It was a lot of fun, and not challenging at all (which is okay too). Are you going to make it with us Dunatic? We'd love to have ya.

reddevil

'93 Cherokee
Steve, I would be more interested in doing Mineral Basin ('cause I haven't done it yet,) but if I can make it I would be willing to do ether.... as long as it was Mineral Basin.

sixstringsteve

yeah, i pick it up tonight. I'm excited. Here's a pic of the cage. that's why i'm going out friday and saturday night. That's what i meant by "now i have a red 4x4 to match you, roD, and your wife." I'll be testin it out at forrest lake, rattlesnake, and moab in a few weeks. i can't wait.

did i mention that i'm excited? i haven't been able to sleep for a few days.

Attachments

• 591268_53_full.jpg
    591268_53_full.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 591268_59_full.jpg
    591268_59_full.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I was just getting you to surface. Just kidding roD. Sorry about that. It just shows I don't go with you guys enough. that's going to change starting tonight. Can you make it to Forest Lake ROD? We still have to get that granola recipe from your wife.

reddevil

'93 Cherokee
Yea, I can probably make it to Mineral Basin on Friday.
That's a nice looking ride, was it easier to sell the 4 runner than changing your screen name bigzuki

sixstringsteve

I've always been a zuki man at heart. The 4runner was awesome, and far more capable than I am as a driver. It was heavy, huge, and I just wanted to get better gas mileage, so i bought a honda. I almost cried when i saw it pull away, but i tried to get over it. I'm over the 4runner, but not over wheeling. You guys have gotten me hooked. thanks a lot! I mean it. I should change my name to "bigforazuki". This is actually a great vehicle for me. Seats 4-5, small, not a huge lift, roll cage, lower gears, cute, and my wife likes it. she didnt love the runner. If i were building a trail only rig it would be another toyota. they're so cool, but not for a dd.

sixstringsteve

if you can't make it friday night, then we're going to do rattlesnake on saturday night. I'm more excited for Mineral Lake personally :D than for 5 mile pass, but they'll both be fun. I love wheelin with ya rod, i haven't since you broke your brake line on wayne's world. I haven't been with mark either since then... i'm definately overdue.

i just realized i misspelled FOREST on the thread title. It must be time for me to go back to school.

zukking01

Whats the count on people going?

I was planning on getting off work at 1:00 and getiing down there with plent fo time but snags at work have put me getting off at 5:00 and with travel and shower I wont make it untill at least 7:30 Plus I only know that is in American/spanish? fork. I would love to come but only time will tell. I finished my lift yesterday and fixed my CB today.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
nate__82 said:
...(another fun trail arount the backside of the mine tailings: dutchmans grave)...

Huh?

I've heard it called Miller Hill, Sunday School Road and Tyng's Grave, but never Dutchmans Grave, I'm interested where you heard this from. I don't beleive George Tyng was a Dutchman? (I was thinking Scottish?) Anyways... I'm interested where you heard that??

sixstringsteve

yep, 6:00 PM at the Chevron by Kohler's in Highland (1/2 mile from the entrance to the canyon).

Total count looks like about 7, but there's always people that show up that don't tell you they're going to. i hope we get more. It looks like most people will have a cb too, so it'll be really fun!

call me if you need directions (i know some do)

~steve

I just got my steering done last night, and i'm trying to cram a rear seat in before tonight. we'll see if it gets done.

Last edited: