Front locker only?

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
I am thinking of throwing a front locker in until i get my rear axle swapped. I dont want to waste any money on my 35 boat anchor to get it locked. How effective is just a front locker?

1995zj

I'm addicted
I ran just a front ARB in my D30 on my old XJ for a year or two before I swapped in the 8.8. It worked great! Definitely helped me out in MANY situations!

Coco

It didn't work so hot for me. Of course I was an idiot, and decided to play in mud, at SLOW speeds...But other that that, it worked OK, not great, but OK.

IMO, I would put in a rear locker, rather than the front though, but you did say you were swapping them out...

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
I am just trying to find the time to get a new 44 in that will be locked. But i will put a front locker in anyway so i thought that it could help for now. I dont do mud just rocks.

1993yj

I ran an ARB up front for many years with my not-so-effective limited slip in the rear of my 35, and that front ARB made a world of difference at times.

Do it!

Lifelong Jeeper

I understand replacing the rear D35 and not wanting to put any money towards it but I locked my rear D35 several years ago when my spider gears broke and have only broken 1 axel shaft since then. It has worked well for me. I locked the front as well a couple of years ago and absolutely love having front and rear locked. I put a teralow in it this year and love it even more.

I too want to replace my axels but don't have the money to do so. I decided that I wanted to wheel with the confidence of lockers even though I might break. I carry spare front and rear shafts with me just in case.

My $0.02

RockChucker

get at least on locker. front or rear. i'm locked in the front and have a limited slip in the rear. i plan on getting a detroit for the rear asap. i was in the same boat you are in. i didn't want to put money in my d35, so i used that money and bought an 8.8. it is an awesome axle and should definitely be considered for a swap. it is the same width, a little beefier than a 44 and it comes stock with disk brakes.

you should also consider your driving habits before you decide which axle you want to lock. if you are a hammer down kinda guy, don't do anything to the 35. it will quit on you quickly. however, if you are light on the gas like Ryan (Lifelong Jeeper), you will probably have the same luck he has

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Just remember, most of the time you find yourself wishing you had a locker, your rig will be will be pointed in the air. Most of the weight will then be on the rear axle, so a front locker will lose a lot of it effectiveness. Consider using that locker money to speed up the purchase of a rear axle with a locker that will prove to be a lot more effective. IMO.

1993yj

Just remember, most of the time you find yourself wishing you had a locker, your rig will be will be pointed in the air. Most of the weight will then be on the rear axle, so a front locker will lose a lot of it effectiveness. Consider using that locker money to speed up the purchase of a rear axle with a locker that will prove to be a lot more effective. IMO.

I have to say I disagree with the ineffectiveness theory here. When you are up in the air, it is usually only one front tire, unless you are really talented and can stay balanced on just the rear two tires. In this case without a locker in the front, the tire in the air will spin and the one still touching the ground will not move. If you have a locker up there, then the one touching the ground will still have power. The two rear wheels should have plenty of weight on them, so it won't matter as much as to whether or not they are locked, one will for sure have power and will be touching the ground.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Great thread, looks like I can lock the front D30, without dealing with the **** D35 in the rear (yet) :)

~DaVe

There's really nothing to lose by doing the front first. When I did mine, everyone told me it was a waste, but I didn't want to invest anything more than diff fluid in the D35. I ran it for quite a while that way with good success.

1995zj

I'm addicted
There's really nothing to lose by doing the front first. When I did mine, everyone told me it was a waste, but I didn't want to invest anything more than diff fluid in the D35. I ran it for quite a while that way with good success.

That's exactly my thoughts. I had very good success running the front ARB with no rear locker. I'd say go for it! :cool:

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
I'm really not that rowdy either. I only have 33's and its a daily driver, plus with the 4 cyl i dont get moving all that fast. So usually i have both front wheels on the ground, one day, i'll pull wheelies all day long but right now i am all about finesse and and crawling smooth:cool:.

I have to say I disagree with the ineffectiveness theory here. When you are up in the air, it is usually only one front tire, unless you are really talented and can stay balanced on just the rear two tires. In this case without a locker in the front, the tire in the air will spin and the one still touching the ground will not move. If you have a locker up there, then the one touching the ground will still have power. The two rear wheels should have plenty of weight on them, so it won't matter as much as to whether or not they are locked, one will for sure have power and will be touching the ground.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.

I didn't mean having a tire in the air, I just ment when all the weight is on the rear axle. Anyway it doesn't matter, the outcome is the same. If you are totally on camber (all four wheels on the ground) and find yourself climbing something pretty steep, your front tires are providing little to no traction. Why do you think so many people are adding suck down winches to the front axle? To help put some of that weight back on that axle. I can't remember the last time I was glad to have my front locker while going down a hill, when all the weight was on that axle.
Don't get me wrong. I love my front ARB. I just try not to use it if I don't have to. Things brake less when the locker is off. It is great for climbing a ledge or something like that. And I'd much rather have a front and rear locker then just rear. I just think a built rear axle and an weak open front axle is better then a weak front axle with a locker and a very weak open rear axle. Did you get all that?:D

1995zj

I'm addicted
Why do you think so many people are adding suck down winches to the front axle? To help put some of that weight back on that axle.

Actually....a lot of it has to do with keeping the front end suspension from opening up too much and causing you to go end-over

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
on my jeep ... dual rate coil-overs - at about 45 degrees, when the weight on the weak spring is meet - they "unload" i.e. like a diving board .. spooky.

It's easier to pull something that push it ... definately lock the front