FSJ talk

allterrain

AllTerrain
That's the funny thing about them- who knew what parts you were going to get from year to year? Vacuum leaks all over and I had to advance the timing like 14 degrees to get the motor dialed in. I could load days worth of camping gear in that land yacht though and just go.

berrett

I wheel a 73 wagon that I have had for the last 9 years. It has a 360/th400/q-trac, full-width 10/14 bolt combo with 4.10s, welded diffs, and well used 36 sxs. It is has a SOA, cut fenders, and front clip narrow about 12". It is a fun rig to take friends and family out in (and can comfortably seat 5 of them), and people where always suprised how capable the cheap and simple station wagon was. It has been a great rig and wheels really well, just doesn't get used much anymore. I keep juggling the idea of selling/trading it, but love wheeling a fsj.

Attachments

• jpwfs1.JPG
    jpwfs1.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF3759.JPG
    DSCF3759.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF3817.JPG
    DSCF3817.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 16

ElJefe

uh. . .
thats a nice Wg. i know I've seen those pics somewhere before. Looks just like my73 I had cept that was completely stock.

berrett

thats a nice Wg. i know I've seen those pics somewhere before. Looks just like my73 I had cept that was completely stock.

All of the 73's i have seen were like it too, did they even offer a different color that year?!? It was near stock when i first got it. Had some 2" add-a-leafs, 31s, aux. fuel tank, and reciever hitch. Other than that it was unmolested and in really good shape, everything was tight and functioned properly. I now wish I would have left it that way, I would love to be able to drive that thing around town, down the freeway, into the mountains, ect... (would be especially nice now since I no longer have use of a tow rig).

wagonmaster

ONE TON 'O WAGON
I have also noticed that the dodge distributor run by the ford ignition box to power the chevy coil doesn't work very well! I trashed all that and installed a 4wheel hardware hei distributor that fixed alot of the stupid running issues. I also found the fuel injection to be a serious improvement. I will never do another waggy without these two mods done to them makes all the difference, the 360 actually has some nuts now!

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I have also noticed that the dodge distributor run by the ford ignition box to power the chevy coil doesn't work very well! I trashed all that and installed a 4wheel hardware hei distributor that fixed alot of the stupid running issues. I also found the fuel injection to be a serious improvement. I will never do another waggy without these two mods done to them makes all the difference, the 360 actually has some nuts now!

What type / brand of fuel injection did you go with?

401fsj

my horse is a 78 chief, 401, th400, quadracrap that i put a new 200$ first thing when i got it and dana 44s. Problem for me is i have had the leaning chief(broken leaf when i got it now it has chevy burb springs not leaning anymore but still the leaning chief) almost 8 years and olny wheeled it twice, pulled it around on trailer and drove to tooele becuse now i have dead trans. All the moving becuse i dont have a garage or very big place. so i really need to get this thing going I have a collection of parts going a 205 wanting a 203 to play with and a 14 bolt. caddilac 472 as soon as i go pick it up and the th400 with the cad bolt pattern but 2 wheel. time for me to build something

trcooperone

76 Cherokee

Here is my latest creation. It is a 76 cherokee with a 401/th400/D20 drivetrain, it has a 14 bolt rear w/detroit and dana 44 up front on 38" tsl.

The suspension is 63" chevy springs in the rear and a spring over in the front with some home brewed 3" lift springs.

I am almost done with it and hope to be wheeling in a week or so, it is just to cold to work on it.

100_2730.jpg

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
I have a lot of FSJ parts if anyone is looking. Also a pretty nice '78 Waggy on 37s with a 401. We can build sliders, bumbers, custom grille insert, etc. etc.

Last edited:

401fsj

i really like the 76 a lot. basically what im going for with my 78. Did you stretch wheel base? what did you do for homegrown 3" springs? love the nice shop. kinda like mine but im a bigger wimp

trcooperone

i really like the 76 a lot. basically what im going for with my 78. Did you stretch wheel base? what did you do for homegrown 3" springs? love the nice shop. kinda like mine but im a bigger wimp

I did stretch the wheel base about 7-8 inches, I moved the rear about 6" back with chevy 63" springs and the for the front I moved it forward about 2" by reversing the springs to move the center pin forward.

As far as the home grown springs the main leaf is the stock leaf, the middle two are from a 4" lift pack that was for a dodge ram charge and the bottom leaf is a random leaf that had a lot of arch, I found a set of them laying in my friends garage.

Thanks for the compliment on the shop, I wish it was mine. My friend is the maintenance man at an apartment complex and this is the shop at the apartments. It is our make shift shop, most of the time we are getting yelled at and working in the parking lot :-\

ElJefe

uh. . .
hey another 76. right on. yours is a bit bigger then mine though. but we got the same drivetrain cept i got a chevy engine. I like it.