fuel cell questions

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Sounds like any aluminum tank might be susceptible to the same problem? How exactly did you apply these AL strapping?

Possibly, but I'm thinking one made with either thicker AL, or internal baffles (acting also as bracing) would be OK.

For my reinforcement, picture aluminum angle iron stuck right over the corner of a box. Now weld that on. :) It wasn't quite that simple since it's not straight pieces, but that gives you the idea.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
... A verticle tank is also a big help IMO.

Fergusor is running a poly tank vertically and not only does he have no starvation problems, it allows you more room in the back for seats, tools, gear, etc. He sealed up the original fuel cap, cut a hole for the new one on the 'side' of the tank, which then became the top. The shape of the tank will have fuel on the bottom at most any angle. I want to do the same thing on my future-buggy.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I built the verticle tank that was behind the seat in my CJ5 and never had starvation problems except for one time... when I was out of gas.:rofl:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Fergusor is running a poly tank vertically and not only does he have no starvation problems, it allows you more room in the back for seats, tools, gear, etc. He sealed up the original fuel cap, cut a hole for the new one on the 'side' of the tank, which then became the top. The shape of the tank will have fuel on the bottom at most any angle. I want to do the same thing on my future-buggy.
what did he use/do to seal the hole?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
what did he use/do to seal the hole?

You might have to ask him, Shane & I were checking it out on Helldorado a few months ago. It stuck in my mind because I want 4 seats & will need as much room as I can got. His username is Fergusor', if you want to PM him.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
You might have to ask him, Shane & I were checking it out on Helldorado a few months ago. It stuck in my mind because I want 4 seats & will need as much room as I can got. His username is Fergusor, if you want to PM him.

I dropped him a pm, hopefully he will post up here.

78mitsu

I use a summit tank. the pickup is weighted so it follows the fuel. works great, built a steel can for it. and mounted it undernieth the bed.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
His name is Rhett and it's pretty slick. I plan to run a more vertical tank in the corner of my buggy.

1993yj

Holley has discontinued their multi-point fuel pick-up kit. I was going to run it in my RCI fuel cell, since it's tall and skinny. I stumbled across the fact that many snowmobiles run a multi-point pick-up as well, pretty much identical to Holley's. I bought a fuel pump with two pick-ups from an Arctic Cat off of eBay, took the pick-ups and used them myself, and then re-sold the pump on eBay for what I paid. Works out pretty slick, just like the Holley kit would, but a lot cheaper, and since they don't make it anymore...

Arm&Leg Yotas

yeah baby
I am buying a fuel cell asap but i know nothing about them. I was reading this hoping i would find it. i need a pump and pressure regulator for an efi that can handle 38 psi fuel pressure. Anybody have good experience with any or what i should get? (sorry kinda tookover your thread)

1993yj

I am buying a fuel cell asap but i know nothing about them. I was reading this hoping i would find it. i need a pump and pressure regulator for an efi that can handle 38 psi fuel pressure. Anybody have good experience with any or what i should get? (sorry kinda tookover your thread)

what are you putting it in?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
multiple pickups a few of these, might be just the trick

see the "New Fuel Pickups" link in the "June 2005 section"

Great find... I've been trying to find a couple of those Holley pickups for the tank in my FJ40 (28 gallon unit that spans the width of the vehicle)... there was a RME'er that I was going to get them from a couple years ago when... I totally forgot we had this conversation :D

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=2826&page=2&highlight=holley

(a fun thread to read if you like suka talk)

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I bought the summit aluminum fuel cell and 3 of my friends and I all had to send them back because they leaked from the factory from bad welding, it was a huge pain in the butt, but none have cracked otherwise.

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
A good seperate resevoir that we used on a TBI set up we did recently was a Summit Racing fuel filter, part #SUM-G1501-KIT. It has a chrome bowl and a red anodized body with a pick-up that draws fuel from the bottom of the bowl. It comes with all the mounting hardware and an extra filter element for $33.99 plus shipping. We mounted a low volume pump before it and a high volume pump after it. I liked it so much I'm puting it on my own rig.

Last edited: