Garage built cj 4-door

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I really love the idea... it looks great! I was thinking how the doors from a cj7 in front would be nice yet have the doors from a cj5 in the back... this would really make it look like the newer JK's...

Keep up the great work... Hope to see this wheeling locally sometime so can get a up close look at it!

cj14

thanks everyone

del007

im trying to reduce frame flex by ttieing all 8 points of the cage to the frame also the boat sides are 1/4" plate that bolt to the side of the body and each body mount below between the body and the cusion the inside of the frame 3/16"x3, fishplates the outside will be 1/4"x45" from bodymount to bodymount i think that

thankyou for any sug. that would be helpful

del0075

i also have my roll bar attached to the frame in 6 points, and the tube front fenders, with the front bumper around the winch, and i still get alot of flex. i dint beef up the frame like i should have. i didnt box it, just ran some cross support. my frame is a 73 chevy short bed

STAG

On my grind
Lookin good. So I assume you have seen this TJ? reminds me of it.
standard.jpg

del0075

i think with it boxed and plated, you will be alot better than i am, my problem is with all the flex, it keeps tearing the body, and i have to keep welding it up

del0075

some of both, i put a few rubber bushing for spacers, the thickest one is about 1 inch thick, the body is just so long, and being 1 piece solid tub, it dont twist with the frame...

STAG

On my grind
i think with it boxed and plated, you will be alot better than i am, my problem is with all the flex, it keeps tearing the body, and i have to keep welding it up

Can you weld in any crossmembers?

(Keep in mind I havn't seen your rig so it may or may not already have this but,)

Howabout some heavy-duty, and several frame tie-ins to a sturdy roll cage? should keep the frame from flexing too much and not to mention the safety factor.

del0075

i am looking into putting some cross straps, and see if that helps.. iwas also looking at my dodge, and it has some tubes that run side to side, and through the frame, i think i mite try that as well

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
that would be mine.. looks like yours will be alot like mine as far as lenght, i am 124" and about 30" from the bottom of the frame..my big problem is the flex in the frame. i wish i would of done more to keep it more ridgid....yours looks great

CJ14, You'll go along way to increase frame strength if you get rid of the rubber on your tcase cross member. That needs to be solid from frame rail to frame rail. Then add to the rubber at your tcase to cross member mount. I know it stinks to do this now, but I also learned that the hard way one time. And, if you don't mind me saying, a little more wire feed speed (and heat, if you have it) will help clean up your overhead welds a bit along those frame welds (overhead welding is the hardest by the way, so don't feel bad).
You are on your way to having a very nice project. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
That thing is looking sweet!

Did you by chance see the 4 door stretched jeep wrangler that was featured on extreme 4x4 this weekend? It looked like a really cool project

cj14

Thankyou for all the good input. I'm running 2x2x1/8th wall square in a couple spots as cross member's the body will be on rubber I was going to conect all 8 points of the cage to the frame but use rubber bushings there also(GOOD IDEA OR NOT) and thanks for the overhead welding tip oh and i didn't see extreme 4x4 wished i had