Gear Pattern Opinions

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Seems a little bit deep to me. This is with zero shims. The smallest shim I have is a .010. The pinion is too shallow with that. I would like to try a .006 shim but have no idea where to find one.
Here is a pic of the pattern on the other side of the ring gear.

Rock Taco

What is your pinion depth code for both old and new pinion gears?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Table for calculating shim adjustment from pinion depth codes
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Depth code of original Pinion[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-2[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Depth code
of new pinion
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .001[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .002[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .003[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .004[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .001[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .001[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .002[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .003[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .002[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .001[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .001[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .002[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .003[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .002[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .001[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add .001[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .004[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .003[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .002[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subt. .001[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0[/FONT]

From here http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_Gear_Setup/

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
What is your pinion depth code for both old and new pinion gears?

Table for calculating shim adjustment from pinion depth codes
Depth code of original Pinion
+2+10-1-2
Depth code
of new pinion
+20Add .001Add .002Add .003Add .004
+1Subt. .0010Add .001Add .002Add .003
0Subt. .002Subt. .0010Add .001Add .002
-1Subt. .003Subt. .002Subt. .0010Add .001
-2Subt. .004Subt. .003Subt. .002Subt. .0010

From here http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-ARB/articles/14b_Gear_Setup/

The new gears are Yukon 5.38s. They do not mark them with depth code numbers. Original 4.10s had .022" of shim. I am not impressed with the Yukons to say the least.

gertsch

I always hate setting up Yukon gears. Sierra gear was probably the best gear I've felt with. If you need shims talk to Torq. They have tons of 14 bolt shims.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Ordered a .006"shim, the thinest available as far as I have been able find. Here is that pattern. Now I think I am shallow.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yep, you're right. I prefer just a bit deep rather than just a bit shallow. I don't mind the pattern you show with no pinion shims at all. What backlash did you set it at for the original pics?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I am going to button it up and go with no shims, but I am probably going to second guess my self for a while. I could take the support apart chuck it up on the lathe dial it in and cut .005" off of the face in an hour or two. I also want to cut an o-ring groove into the support to seal it better. The groove will seal the bore not the face, if that makes sense. It will not affect depth.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
What backlash did you have with no shim?
If it was tight on the lash you could loosen it up and it may make it less deep on the drive side.
I thought the coast side looked ok.
.006 -.008 Problem with the 14 bolt is moving a whole hole on the adjusters can move it quite a bit and take you out of spec quickly.

I have ordered a set of shims to put under the inner pinion bearing. It will get me in the range where I have .001" adjustments. I hate to tear down the pinion support but it will give me the opportunity to install an o ring and I will eliminate the crush sleeve while I am at it also.

gertsch

Thanks I'll call them. What do you think of the pattern?
M. The no shim pattern looks the best. It's deep but I wouldn't say it's to deep. I'd keep the backlash tight to allow for gear wear and deflection in the gearset. Running it deep like that with a tighter backlash will keep you from breaking teeth as easily. But it could also result in a noise gearset. I'm guess in this is a 5.38 gearset as well?

gertsch

Author thought. I'd check and make sure your races pressed into the support all the way and the bearing on the pinion are on all the way. I'm assuming you've got all new bearings?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Author thought. I'd check and make sure your races pressed into the support all the way and the bearing on the pinion are on all the way. I'm assuming you've got all new bearings?
If the bearing was not pressed on all the way or the race not into the support all the way. It would cause the pinion to run deeper not too shallow as mine does. I am going to solve the issue with a shim that will basically do just that. Yes all new bearings.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Cut .005 off the face of the pinion support today. It should get things where I want them.
Also cut a grove for an o ring.

Crush sleeve eliminator.