General Dirt Bike Questions

rholbrook

Try changing out your gas first. I doubt it's a clogged pilot. Your pilot may be too small. As far as a 165 main I have no idea. I have not read what comes in it and from there you would have to look at altitude and temp. Most 4Ts come really lean from the factory. You can read your spark plug as well.

If it was me, I would change your gas and hold on before changing any jets. Go ride it and get it warm. You should be able to adjust your idle to keep it running. If you can't, then increase your pilot jet one size

sixstringsteve

Here's my general dirtbike question for the day:

I need to order jets and I'm trying to find out the best place to get them. RMATVMC is out of the one I need.

Do all Keihin carbs have interchangeable jets? Obviously jet pilot hole sizes will be different. Do I need to specify which keihin carb I have when ordering jets?

rholbrook

I am trying to find the website I have used to cross reference jets. RMATV shows they were out of jets for my sons 150 but its the same jet used on a TRX250 ATV and RMATV had that jet. Go figure. I will see if I can find the website for you.

jentzschman

Here's my general dirtbike question for the day:

I need to order jets and I'm trying to find out the best place to get them. RMATVMC is out of the one I need.

Do all Keihin carbs have interchangeable jets? Obviously jet pilot hole sizes will be different. Do I need to specify which keihin carb I have when ordering jets?

They guy at South Valley Motor Sports in Draper said Keihin is phasing out making jets. EDC (I will have to double check the name) will be making them.

sixstringsteve

A couple jetting questions for Andrew...

1) If I jet a bike for sea level, then bring it here to 5000 ft above sea level, it'll be running rich, right?

2) For a Keihin Carb (or any other for that matter), a smaller # jet means it's more lean, right? So going from a 50 pilot to a 40 pilot, you lean out the mixture, right? The smaller number means a smaller hole for the gas to pass through, right?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
A couple jetting questions for Andrew...

1) If I jet a bike for sea level, then bring it here to 5000 ft above sea level, it'll be running rich, right?

Correct. Less air = more fuel.

2) For a Keihin Carb (or any other for that matter), a smaller # jet means it's more lean, right? So going from a 50 pilot to a 40 pilot, you lean out the mixture, right? The smaller number means a smaller hole for the gas to pass through, right?

Correct. Whether it is main jet or pilot the smaller the number the leaner the jet

Remember there is no (or should not be) guess work in jetting. It can be very time consuming and every bike is unique which requires unique jetting no two are ever the same. Always start very rich and work your way down. By doing that you'll quickly find the bike will tell you what it is doing and what it needs. Erratic/sputter/miss/cutting out = lean. Blubber/smoke/loading up/sometimes cutting out = rich. If you're not sure try looking at the exhaust lots of smoke = rich. No smoke = lean on a 2T.

I like to start with the bottom end (pilot/fuel screw) jetting then work on the midrange jetting (needle) and lastly the top end jetting (main)

Tuning the pilot jet is easy. If I'm starting from scratch I install the factory recommended jet for this altitude and set the fuel screw at 1.5 turns out and go from there. Get the bike completely hot and up to operating temperature not just a burn around the block. Does it idle at a nice low and steady RPM?

-If so: Turn the fuel screw clockwise very slowly. If you turn it in and it dies turn it back out to where it was and leave it alone. If you can turn it all the way and the bike does not die replace pilot jet with one size leaner then repeat. Ultimately you want the engine to die at .5-.75 turns out once you get it near that point back it out ccw until you get a nice smooth idle and call it good.

-If not or if it is a very erratic idle: Pull the choke. Does it idle now? If so turn the fuel screw counterclockwise no further than 3 complete turns out. Does it idle with the choke off now? If not add one size richer jet and repeat.

The fuel screw fine tunes the pilot jet. It is only efficient between .75 and 3 turns out. The pilot/air screw jetting is for idle thru 1/4 throttle. Old gas especially ethanol blend easily plugs this circuit in as little as a month from what I have seen. Don't attempt to jet unless your certain your carb and air filter are clean and gas is fresh.

Use a magic marker and write your settings on the swing arm, engine case or something that will always be with the bike like this for example:

Pilot- 52
A/S 1.5 (air screw 1.5 turns out)
Needle 1348NS / 3rd (needle number and clip position from top)
Main-155

Checking your spark plug will tell you a lot of things however the bike will need to be ran for a long period of time to get a good reliable color. Installing a new plug and riding around the block is not a good way to read a plug. Fwiw I rarely if ever check my plug when jetting.

Jetting 4T's are no different although they have a few more jets and accelerator pumps to tune in. Whoever said 4T's are less susceptible to jetting was high :brett:

Does this help at all or is it confusing? I could show someone in person easily but have a very difficult time trying to explain through typing. Anyway I'll try to break down needles and main jetting when I get some time..

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
My question of the day will have to be answered by pm. I'm supposed to be heading to the dunes in the morning. Looks like my son has lost my key to my yfz450. At least I'll blame it on him. What I need to know is how to get my bike running without the key. For some reason my ignition harness has 4 wires on it. I have read there are a certain 2 that you have to put together. What are the extra 2 wires for? Will something not be running? it is an 07. Thanks for the help.

Caleb

Dealers usually have keys in stock. Not sure how Yamaha does it, but Honda you just needed some code and they could that key.

Caleb

When I realized my key was missing I called escape but they were closed. I have my key code. Just no one to cut it.

Back when I had to get replacement keys for several of our bikes, the dealer didn't even had to cut them, they had them in stock.

Have you looked for a wiring diagram or have your manual? That should be easy enough to tell what you need to connect together.

sixstringsteve

question of the day:

What's your favorite front tire for AF type singletrack? Whatever came on my KX 125 is dry, cracking, and doesn't inspire confidence.

Caleb

question of the day:

What's your favorite front tire for AF type singletrack? Whatever came on my KX 125 is dry, cracking, and doesn't inspire confidence.

I've yet to find a front I absolutely love. The MX51 is ok, but wears fast, the MX71 was a pretty decent front and the Maxxis Desert IT was also another decent tire. I also ran the D756 (I think that was the number) and it was ok but also wore fast. Whatever was on my 300 (maybe Greg can chime in) I would say avoid, it was probably the worse front I've ever had. I also did not like the Pirelli MT21 that was on my Husky.