Get ready for Spring!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's mid-February and snowing, but warmer weather is right around the corner! It's time to get the bikes ready for riding, thought we'd have a thread about what you guys have on your plate to prep your bikes for the upcoming riding season.

My DR650 needs some attention, a bit of maintenance and a handful of mods to make riding that much better. Here's my list-

• Fab up a set of highway pegs. Something that will fold out of the way when offroad, then flip down for stretching out the legs on long sections of pavement. I will probably order some bigger/better pegs and use the stockers for the highway pegs.
  • Get some soft saddle bags and mounts. Wolfman is having a sale on their new saddle bags & mounts, $400 for the Expedition Bags and their new, killer looking side mounts!-
    http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/SpecialSale/10BagRackIntro.html
    http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Accessories/wolf_side_rack.html
    That's a lot of money, but those are the best looking side racks I've seen and they are high quality, water-proof bags.
  • Need a new air filter, probably get a Twin Air instead of the stocker.
  • I need to go thru the carb again and replace an O-ring. My bike will leak gasoline thru the carb and make the bike hard to start due to gas leaking into the intake. :eek:

I think that will do it for the DR650, not too much but pricey or involved projects. There's some other minor stuff, but nothing that's required before the next big ride.

Catherines TT-R 250 has had some good mods, but still needs lots of work to get it where we want it. The next mods for the TTR are as follows-

• It needs some serious maintenance, new plug & air filter, oil change, etc. Could use a new chain & sprockets, but I think we're going to put that off for now.
  • DOT approved tires, I have a slightly-used Dunlop 606 for the front and a rear Kenda Trackmaster II that I've heard good things about. That will get us street legal rubber F & R.
  • The next step towards getting it street legal is a dual sport kit. Looks like Rocky Mountain ATV now carries a Tusk Lighting Kit that is super-inexpensive, $160. I've had some Tusk parts before and they worked well, so I might have to give this option a try. Here's a link- http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...&webCatId=20&prodFamilyId=26724#vehicleSelect
  • The TTR could use some new plastic, at the least a new number plate/headlight piece. The old one is busted up pretty badly. The rest of the plastic can stay for now.

Other than that, the TTR is coming along. If we can get it plated this Spring, Catherine and I can make some great rides!

So that's what I have before me. I'm really looking forward to warmer weather and a dry desert, so I can get the bike out. What do you guys have on your list to prep your bike?

Caleb

Good thread!

Well, so far what I've done in the downtime is:
  • New Bags - Went with a full set of Wolfmann Enduro Bags (tank, saddle, fender, and duffel bags). I agree, they are spendy, but I think they look the best of any soft bag out there and I wanted a smaller set of bags. They also fit extremely well.
  • General Maintenance - Oil change, filter cleaned, replaced the intake housing elbow thingy (connects the airbox to the carb). Nothing too major.
  • New Large Capacity tank - Was able top get a larger 4.5 gallon factory offered tank. A much needed addition.
  • Started ordering camping gear for overnight trips. So far I've picked up a nice lightweight compact sleeping bag and I'm looking to pickup a small single man tent now.

Here's the list of To-Dos
  • Need to get a new set of tires. The set that's on are the original tires, so they're ~7 years old. Still in good shape with no cracking, but I just don't like that old of a tire, especially on a two-wheeler.
  • Check valves - I doubt they've ever been done, but with only ~1000 miles on the bike, they may not need it yet. Preventative more than anything.
  • Rebuild carb - Right now, occasionally one of the needles will get stuck open (I'm guessing) so it will leak out one of the overflow/vent tube. Again, it's a ~7 year old bike that has sat for most of it's life, I'm sure it's just got gunk built up in there.
  • A NEW SEAT. Besides it feel like sitting on a board, the faux ostrich skin seat is uncomfortable and looks kind of gay. :)
  • Need to buy more gear. I have yet to get boots and and pants or any type of compression suit. I'm 99% sure I'm picking up the ZacSpeed SP-3 very soon.
  • New set of wider pegs. Not necessary, but would be nice.
  • New taller handle bars. I also plan to replace the bar clamp with one that has an integrated trail tech computer mount and bark busters.
  • New Trail Tech computer

I know there's more but that's all I can think of for now. For the most part, my bike is ready to go ride right now, just the weather disagrees with that :D

Greg

Admin
Greg, I have a front number plate you can have. I took it off a TTR230 when I put the light kit on it.

Sorry for the confusion, I actually need one with a headlight, not just a number plate. One from another TTR 250 would be perfect or one from a WR. Thanks for the offer though!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Had the 450 XCW out last weekend so other than washing off the mud its good to go. However there are some things it will need come spring.

Valve adjust and oil change
New tires
Headlight upgrade (something brighter)
Possible a new battery, it doesn't seem to be holding a charge too long
Horn, brand new from Sicass, need to ring them

Other than that?

Candaces Kawi needs some love. Oil change and a new front tire.

Greg

Admin
Sounds like you guys are ready to ride! Just need this white shite to melt away.

I picked up a pair of folding pegs today to make my highway pegs out of. It will be interesting to make them work, as they have a threaded stud that you'd use to bolt the peg up. I haven't figured out how to make them work, need to get some steel out and see what I can do.

I also ordered some of my maintenance parts too, I should see them next week and have plenty of time to get that out of the way before it's time to ride.

I was having problems with my Garmin Zumo GPS since before my big ride in October. For some reason it was having power supply issues and wouldn't stay on. I replaced the battery, the power cord and the mount and that seem to have taken care of the issue. Tonight I uploaded 300 songs to the Zumo, placed it in it's mount and tested it out. It will be so damn nice to have tunes built into the GPS so I can listen to music anytime I like! Only problem is that a lot of it is pretty hard and I tend to ride fast when listening to that kind of stuff. Better watch myself! :rofl:

I'm getting excited to get out on the bike, I plan to make as many rides as I can this year and put down a lot of mileage. :cool:

Caleb

Here's the list of To-Dos
  • Need to get a new set of tires. The set that's on are the original tires, so they're ~7 years old. Still in good shape with no cracking, but I just don't like that old of a tire, especially on a two-wheeler.
  • Check valves - I doubt they've ever been done, but with only ~1000 miles on the bike, they may not need it yet. Preventative more than anything.
  • Rebuild carb - Right now, occasionally one of the needles will get stuck open (I'm guessing) so it will leak out one of the overflow/vent tube. Again, it's a ~7 year old bike that has sat for most of it's life, I'm sure it's just got gunk built up in there.
  • A NEW SEAT. Besides it feel like sitting on a board, the faux ostrich skin seat is uncomfortable and looks kind of gay. :)
  • Need to buy more gear. I have yet to get boots and and pants or any type of compression suit. I'm 99% sure I'm picking up the ZacSpeed SP-3 very soon.
  • New set of wider pegs. Not necessary, but would be nice.
  • New taller handle bars. I also plan to replace the bar clamp with one that has an integrated trail tech computer mount and bark busters.
  • New Trail Tech computer

I've now purchased Boots, pants, and a chest protector/pack (Zac Speed SP-3 :greg: ). I've also got a new set of tires on their way. I'll probably send my seat of to be re-made in the next week or two. :) I'm ready to ride!

Greg

Admin
I've now purchased Boots, pants, and a chest protector/pack (Zac Speed SP-3 :greg: ). I've also got a new set of tires on their way. I'll probably send my seat of to be re-made in the next week or two. :) I'm ready to ride!

:cool:

I looked at the Zac Speed gear, looks like nice stuff! Which tires did you go with? That Ostrich did look a bit out of place, good call on replacing it. :rofl:

You'll have to post up some updated pics of the bike soon, sounds like you've really outfitted it well!

I'm really thinking about ordering those Wolfman Expedition Bags and racks, may do that at the end of the week.

Caleb

I went with the Maxxis Desert IT front and rear. (I know their not DOT, but I've got almost a year till I need to get it inspected again :D) I've read a lot of good about them and thought I'd give them a try. My next tires after these will be a much more street oriented tire (more dual sport I guess) and then I'll decide what I like best (sacrifice offroad or sacrifice onroad). I've also thought about have some different rims built and just having two sets that I can swap based on the trip.

Greg

Admin
I went with the Maxxis Desert IT front and rear. (I know their not DOT, but I've got almost a year till I need to get it inspected again :D) I've read a lot of good about them and thought I'd give them a try. My next tires after these will be a much more street oriented tire (more dual sport I guess) and then I'll decide what I like best (sacrifice offroad or sacrifice onroad). I've also thought about have some different rims built and just having two sets that I can swap based on the trip.

Those are great tires, had a rear Maxxis Desert IT on my DRZ and it held up well to lots of desert abuse. I wish Maxxis still make the 6006, that was another really good tire.

I like my combination of Pirelli MT21 front and Dunlop 606 rear, it's a good mix of DOT legal and quality knobbies. The front Dunlop 606 sucks IMO, washes out way too often. Unfortunately the rear 606 doesn't last much more than 1500-200 miles, but they're reasonably priced.

A 2nd set of wheels would be really nice, I'd like to do the same and have a pair of MEFO tires for lots of street riding. They are expensive, but rear tires last for 5000-8000 miles. :eek: Would be great for a ride to Alaska or something similar.

Caleb

Those are great tires, had a rear Maxxis Desert IT on my DRZ and it held up well to lots of desert abuse. I wish Maxxis still make the 6006, that was another really good tire.
Good to hear!

EDIT: Just checked out the 6006 and I agree. If those were still available, I think I would have gone with them. They look like they'd be an excellent compromise of both on and off-road.

I like my combination of Pirelli MT21 front and Dunlop 606 rear, it's a good mix of DOT legal and quality knobbies. The front Dunlop 606 sucks IMO, washes out way too often. Unfortunately the rear 606 doesn't last much more than 1500-200 miles, but they're reasonably priced.

I have MT21s front and rear right now and I feel the front is always getting a bit squirrelly on me when ever I get in to anything even remotely sandy...but that could be due to an old tire or just my inexperience, most likely the latter :D That's partly why I wanted to go with such an aggressive tire with good reviews this time to see if it improves.

A 2nd set of wheels would be really nice, I'd like to do the same and have a pair of MEFO tires for lots of street riding. They are expensive, but rear tires last for 5000-8000 miles. :eek: Would be great for a ride to Alaska or something similar.

EXACTLY! I think my bike would be my summer commuter if I had a nice set of very streetable tires on. :cool: I also keep thinking about picking up a second bike setup for SM :D I know I'd get in trouble on that though. :p

Last edited:

ricsrx

2004 Honda 250x
Blinkers to pass safety this year.
Replace spokes in rear rim and true it.
Rebuild carb so it will Idle, it never has....
hand throtle ass. never replace from slite trail rash last year.
Maybe a larger sprocket for the front so it will go faster than 40mph.

My front end sucks also after the DOT tire install..
I installed a generic tire that RM ATV had on hand to get the saftey afew years ago.

Caleb

2004 Honda 250x
Blinkers to pass safety this year.
Replace spokes in rear rim and true it.
Rebuild carb so it will Idle, it never has....
hand throtle ass. never replace from slite trail rash last year.
Maybe a larger sprocket for the front so it will go faster than 40mph.

My front end sucks also after the DOT tire install..
I installed a generic tire that RM ATV had on hand to get the saftey afew years ago.
:cool: You going to make the Hole in the Rock ride this spring? thread

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I got my eyes on an XR600 but I'm afraid it wont haul my fat ass around good enough. I am so ready to get back on an enduro and do some adventure riding, It has been too long!

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I got my eyes on an XR600 but I'm afraid it wont haul my fat ass around good enough. I am so ready to get back on an enduro and do some adventure riding, It has been too long!

You aren't THAT fat Spence. Get an XR650R and be done with it... and save yourself the 10 grand or so from buying a KTM 990. If you ever want to test drive my XR just give me a shout. I'm still in Ogden.

For me there is still the same long list there was last fall.

• Check everything in the motor including valves. I've never turned a bolt on this motor yet.
  • Finish off and install my do-it-yourself street legal kit. I wish the new Tusk kits from RMATV would have come out last summer!!!
  • Get a freakin worthwhile headlight!
  • I still want to do a high output stator for some big dual lights.
  • Get some DOT tires.
  • Fix the slow leak on one of the radiators.
  • Install my little rear rack and find a little bag for it.
  • I'd love to find a low profile windshield.

Jared

Caleb

UPDATE: So I tried to adjust my valves and I think I made them worse :rofl: I might give it one more go at it and then just take it in and have it done right :p I did tear my carb down and cleaned it real good, now my bike fires up so stinking easily (not that it was ever that hard). I'M READY FOR SPRING!!!

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
UPDATE: So I tried to adjust my valves and I think I made them worse :rofl: I might give it one more go at it and then just take it in and have it done right :p I did tear my carb down and cleaned it real good, now my bike fires up so stinking easily (not that it was ever that hard). I'M READY FOR SPRING!!!

What bike are you trying to adjust the valves one?