Getting healthier in 2020. Who's in?

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I have been soooooooo busy with work (which means a lot of sitting in front of a computer), with the addition of a fridge with unlimited cold mountain dew in my truck, throw in kids being home schooled and the wife mad at them all day... coupled with snacking being my go-to comfort when stressed, and it has not been a good few months for me. I was at 221 last night, which is up 14 from my low point in February.

J-mobzz

I have been soooooooo busy with work (which means a lot of sitting in front of a computer), with the addition of a fridge with unlimited cold mountain dew in my truck, throw in kids being home schooled and the wife mad at them all day... coupled with snacking being my go-to comfort when stressed, and it has not been a good few months for me. I was at 221 last night, which is up 14 from my low point in February.

I know you’re a die hard but I made the switch to diet dew and it’s a game changer in empty calories.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've put the quarantine 15 on for sure. I only have one pair of shorts that fit me. I have never quit soda ever but I decided that tieing my shoes was something I want to be able to do without being short of breath so 3 weeks ago I stopped all soda. Now if they would just take the snickers ice cream bara out of the vending machine at work, I'd be golden. Those things are evil.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Started a divorce in December. Been on my own since mid February. Finalized in March. Down 25 to 195 today, feeling good, just can't stop moving. Diet sucks, but at this point who cares

4x4_Welder

I know you’re a die hard but I made the switch to diet dew and it’s a game changer in empty calories.
I did that for a whole summer a couple years ago. Life just wasn't as good. I need to cut back to just 1 or 2 cans a day again. The 6 or 9 I am doing now is too much!
Working night, Mountain Dew is what keeps me going. I try to stay under 4-5, and my kids help by thoroughly disposing of any they can get their hands on, but still-

I've managed to gain 30lbs since this time last year, granted I had some help with weight loss with the chemo and all, but still not happy about it. The meds I'm on now cause weight gain pretty badly, but man I'm unhappy with my gut now. I usually look decently healthy in the 200-210 range (still obese by BMI but screw that chart), but after topping 240 for the first time last week, just as I crossed the 40 year mark, I just feel like a fat middle aged guy now.

Tonkaman

I've put the quarantine 15 on for sure. I only have one pair of shorts that fit me. I have never quit soda ever but I decided that tieing my shoes was something I want to be able to do without being short of breath so 3 weeks ago I stopped all soda. Now if they would just take the snickers ice cream bara out of the vending machine at work, I'd be golden. Those things are evil.

I’d happily give up shoe laces for snickers ice cream bars!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Working night, Mountain Dew is what keeps me going.

I also need some caffeine to keep me rolling during night shifts. But, I've mostly given up soda for water with a mixer of either Crystal Light Energy (the grape flavor is really good), or one of the Mio Energy varieties. All the caffeine (and then some), without the sugar/corn syrup.

RockChucker

I've been watching caloric intake and either riding a stationary fan bike or my mtn bike 5 days a week since Feb. Bike rides I try and get 1200+ feet of elevation and 8 - 10 miles long. I'm down from 208 to 192. The weight hasn't come off as fast as I would like, but I feel way better and I've gotten quite a bit skinnier. Turns out that muscle gained is denser than fat lost....

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm down from 208 to 192. The weight hasn't come off as fast as I would like, but I feel way better and I've gotten quite a bit skinnier.

Threw away my scale roughly 7 years ago because of this. Scales are nonsense!

My recent bicycling has made me think about this. I use my scale to (occasionally) check my weight because, well, that's what you're supposed to do, right? That's all I've ever known, anyway.

A couple weeks ago, I was standing at the sales desk when a co-worker (who knows about my biking) spontaneously blurted out, "wow--you're really starting to get into shape." I told him to stop teasing me. "I'm only down six pounds so far, and there is no way you can see that." He then told me I was wrong, and another co-worker (who went to the gym regularly to lift weights before COVID struck, and also knows about my biking) chimed in with his agreement as well. He concluded by saying, "when you increase your amount of exercise, you need to throw away your scale and buy a mirror instead to properly monitor your progress."

Hmm.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
@SAMI pedaling helped me a ton after I tore my ACL a decade ago. My knee used to yell at me if I did more than maybe 4.5 miles running. But my Ortho told me the pedaling polishes everything up in there. And now I can run again.

Seriously ride uphill 15-30 minutes. It's a great workout and coast home.

My back still is mad at me when I run from my 2 surgeries 12 weeks ago, but I've been pedaling lots lately since it doesn't hurt and I can feel the difference in my cardio fitness.

Last edited:

Coco

It's no secret I am fat and out of shape. I did keto a year/year and a half ago and lost 40 lbs. Well, I started slipping and eating carbs and everything again, and gained a lot of it back. I am not happy with myself, and I honestly hate diets. Currently trying to figure something out that I can stick to, that is healthy, and that I can do some type of workout that I enjoy and can stick too. I used to chase RC cars all over little moab in an ultra4 style race(s), and that was a damn good workout, and something I enjoyed doing too. Still not something I did enough though.

We just bought a house, so I have been doing projects on that to stay busy and doing something, but I know I still need to do more.

OMAD I tried, but just couldn't do it. It was like losing your will to live. lol

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
It's no secret I am fat and out of shape. I did keto a year/year and a half ago and lost 40 lbs. Well, I started slipping and eating carbs and everything again, and gained a lot of it back. I am not happy with myself, and I honestly hate diets. Currently trying to figure something out that I can stick to, that is healthy, and that I can do some type of workout that I enjoy and can stick too. I used to chase RC cars all over little moab in an ultra4 style race(s), and that was a damn good workout, and something I enjoyed doing too. Still not something I did enough though.

We just bought a house, so I have been doing projects on that to stay busy and doing something, but I know I still need to do more.

OMAD I tried, but just couldn't do it. It was like losing your will to live. lol

Diets are overrated. Most if not all are not sustainable.

Controlled portions, balanced, clean foods. This is how I'm down 35lbs over 1.5yrs; slow and steady by eating right... now comes the exercise.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I saw this thread earlier this year and just kept scrolling...

Flash forward 6 months, I am currently down to 209 from 226 in early March when Covid struck. At that time my pay was cut 75% and still is. We went on a strict budget of only eating out once a week (that's down from once a day for me. Eeeek that looks bad to write). We also bought a Peleton back in February with the intention of my wife using using to loose some inches and me just getting back in riding shape. Well, my wife is still working full time or more through the Covid mess and has not ridden much. Once I saw some weight come off it was addicting and I am rolling full speed ahead (pun intended). I ride either the Peleton or my mountain bike 5 days a week on average. I still look at the scale because it is super motivating for me. I actually check it daily (I know that's frowned upon) but it keeps me going and that's my motivation. If I ride, eat good for breakfast and lunch, have a moderately healthy dinner and keep my alcohol at a minimum I have been losing about a pound a day recently. Days I drink more than I should or after our weekly fast food dinner I stay flat with the day before.

I did Keto last year and lost 60 lbs. From last summer to this Spring I gained 30 if that back. Three years ago I stopped doing crossfit and eating super clean for 3 years consecutively. Stopping Crossfit and eating clean gained me my initial 50 lbs and totally changed my body composition in a bad way. Keto was super easy for me and I lost a ton of weight really quick. I love sugar too much to make that a consistent way of living and eating. Crossfit was also really good but I didn't love the workouts and my ego pushed me too far. I started to get injuries and had to have a hernia surgery post Crossfit. I feel like I have found a very good balance of eating and I have totally fallen back in love with riding. I even don't mind a big climb on my bike. I must be getting old because I hated climbing on a bike in my teens and 20's.

Keep up the good work to everyone else that has lost some weight. It's addicting once you start to see some changes. I actually have to make myself have a double chin again and that was a big deal!

EDIT: one more add. In late winter of 2019 my bad cholesterol (LDL) was like 239. The doctor said I was a walking time bomb and put me on meds. High cholesterol runs in my family as does heart disease. Last summer after losing 60 lbs on keto my LDL was was still high at 166. I had my blood work done again a month ago and I am now down to 151 and my doctor was floored. WIN!

Last edited: