Getting ready to put a lunch box in the D30...

SpeedyVic

What all should I have on hand? What else should I do while I'm in there? Tips, tricks, etc.?

Oil, of course. Also, I have new Solid dif covers coming and will put them on at the same time. What else should be done?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
What all should I have on hand? What else should I do while I'm in there? Tips, tricks, etc.?

Oil, of course. Also, I have new Solid dif covers coming and will put them on at the same time. What else should be done?

What kind of locker are you doing? Also just check and make sure the gears and bearings are in good shape you should be able to wrap it up in an hour or so.

SpeedyVic

I got a Lokka locker. Basically an Aussie direct from the people that used to make Aussie in Australia.

I've been corresponding with the sales rep over there for a few months now. I would tell him how unbearably cold it was here, and he would say how freaking hot it was there! Anyway, the Lokka comes with a 3 year warranty and is very competetively priced, $227 shipped FedEx. I just placed the order this morning.

Now I just need to save up for some new gears and I will be set, I think.

blznnp

impact does make it nice, although I didn't use one on mine, I just clamped the housing into a vice and used a ratchet and a torque wrench of course.

mombobuggy

You do realize a front locker makes breakage a more common reality. Because of the added stress on everything steering u joints pinion bearing axle shafts steering. I love having a locker in front it makes your rig soo much more capable. But man if there is any way you could upgrade to a 44 in the long run you might be happier. They often come with lockouts and owner serviceable bearings. Some have flat top knuckles. So you can do high steering without replacing your knuckle. Hope this is not rude just my two cents worth. Some people have good sucess with a 30 especially conservative drivers with small tires. A four popper helps a lot, To me the gas savings alone would be enough to justify the swap having lockouts is a nice thing for several reasons but that one is a big deal at least to me. good luck hope to see you on a trail this summer either way and hopefully not broken. again just my opinion. Mombo

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Dana 30's aren't all that bad and if I'm not mistaken from the OP's sig line it looks like this is going in an XJ which should have the HP D30. To me a lunchbox locker is a good investment in a D30 not too much to break the bank or you heart if you happen to break something.

As for what to look out for, depending on your tie rod it can be a little bit of a wiggle getting the carrier out. If your carrier hits your tie rod before it will come out easily just turn the wheels a little until it hits that sweet spot and it will come.

SpeedyVic

You do realize a front locker makes breakage a more common reality. Because of the added stress on everything steering u joints pinion bearing axle shafts steering. I love having a locker in front it makes your rig soo much more capable. But man if there is any way you could upgrade to a 44 in the long run you might be happier. They often come with lockouts and owner serviceable bearings. Some have flat top knuckles. So you can do high steering without replacing your knuckle. Hope this is not rude just my two cents worth. Some people have good sucess with a 30 especially conservative drivers with small tires. A four popper helps a lot, To me the gas savings alone would be enough to justify the swap having lockouts is a nice thing for several reasons but that one is a big deal at least to me. good luck hope to see you on a trail this summer either way and hopefully not broken. again just my opinion. Mombo

I appreciate the input! I know that it will add more stress to areas that have otherwise not seen any. I'm not really turning this XJ into a serious wheeler. It still must remain my (or my daughters) DD. Currently riding on 32's and will never go any bigger than 33's. I am planning on replacing the 8.25 with a 44 at some point this summer before regearing. Trying to get it ready for Fall Fling in Moab this October.

I got a call from FedEx this morning. They needed me to declare the shipment was not going into a commercial vehicle, and also asked if it contained any bearings of any kind. Thought that was kinda strange. Anyway, the Lokka will be put in a plane in Australia and arrive at my door on Monday. Less than 4 business days from order to arrival from halfway around the world. That's some impressive service right there!

Now if my replacement grill I ordered 2 weeks ago from New Jersey would get here....

SpeedyVic

As for what to look out for, depending on your tie rod it can be a little bit of a wiggle getting the carrier out. If your carrier hits your tie rod before it will come out easily just turn the wheels a little until it hits that sweet spot and it will come.

I have installed and removed a lockrite in a D35 before, I'm hoping that it is basically the same thing, but thanks for the heads up on the tie rod! I never considered that it was right in the way.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I don't know why people keep talking about taking the carrier out, I didn't have to. Take off the diff cover and drain it, take your driver side caliper and rotor off, pry off the unit bearing (I used an air chisel, worked awesome), pull the shaft part way out, remove the cross shaft, pull out the spider gears, install the locker per manuf. instructions, reverse the order to put it back together. It's really straight forward. If you've done a lockright, you'll have no problem doing this one.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I pull the carrier cause it's easy.

I doubt you'll have issues with anything on your d30 if you keep that size tires on there. Mine has only ever spit ujoint caps and I beat it like it owes me money. I also wouldn't bother with a d44 for the rear unless it's free or something. I had one and I bent it. Switched it to a 29 spline 8.25 (you might have one since it's a 96) and haven't had an issue.

One thing I definitely suggest is a tie rod upgrade. They are cheap and necessary because the front locker puts a lot of stress on the tie rod

reddman

Fabber
I don't know why people keep talking about taking the carrier out, I didn't have to. Take off the diff cover and drain it, take your driver side caliper and rotor off, pry off the unit bearing (I used an air chisel, worked awesome), pull the shaft part way out, remove the cross shaft, pull out the spider gears, install the locker per manuf. instructions, reverse the order to put it back together. It's really straight forward. If you've done a lockright, you'll have no problem doing this one.

Low gear sets inherently have thicker ring gears, and can in some cases effectively trap the cross pin from sliding out in either direction, forcing the carrier to come out, and the ring gear to be pulled from it, just to get the cross pin out.

Other than for that exception, I completely agree.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Even with 3.73's I couldn't get mine done without removing the carrier. Honestly it's easy enough to just pull it and it makes it that much easier to do the install on the work bench instead of on your back.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
X2 on the tie rod upgrade. A locker in there will really put stress on the tie rod.