Getting ready to put a lunch box in the D30...

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Why do you people have to come in here and speak sense and logic to disprove me?! :cool:

Mine had factory 3.55's. I was too afraid to remove the carrier, fearing that when I put it back together I wouldn't tighten something right or something so I left it in.

Low gear sets inherently have thicker ring gears, and can in some cases effectively trap the cross pin from sliding out in either direction, forcing the carrier to come out, and the ring gear to be pulled from it, just to get the cross pin out.

Other than for that exception, I completely agree.

Even with 3.73's I couldn't get mine done without removing the carrier. Honestly it's easy enough to just pull it and it makes it that much easier to do the install on the work bench instead of on your back.

Hoping I can just do the pullthedriveraxlepullthediffcoverpulltheinnardsreplacetheinnardsreplacethecoverreplacetheaxle boogie (since I effectively have to do two, I'm pulling it out of one axle and putting it in another). 3.55 on one and 4.10 on the other.

SpeedyVic

The Locker came on Monday as promised. Looks good, just like any other Auto locker. Simple packaging, nice logo, no frills, no plastic, no stickers. This one does not come with the cross pin so you have to reuse your old one.

I'm still waiting for the new dif covers to show up. Supposed to be here before Friday. If the weather is good this weekend, I'll be doing the work on Saturday. I'm supposed to be replacing the steering pump on my GF 88 XJ as well. Busy, busy!

SpeedyVic

Just had a change of plans. Called Dusty Sexton about doing a gear swap. After talking to him for a bit, I decided that I wanted the new gears done next week so he said he would put the locker in for me.

Nice guy to talk too!

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Just had a change of plans. Called Dusty Sexton about doing a gear swap. After talking to him for a bit, I decided that I wanted the new gears done next week so he said he would put the locker in for me.

Nice guy to talk too!

Good call on that, no point in going through the hassle if you don't need to right.

thenag

I appreciate the input! I know that it will add more stress to areas that have otherwise not seen any. I'm not really turning this XJ into a serious wheeler. It still must remain my (or my daughters) DD. Currently riding on 32's and will never go any bigger than 33's. I am planning on replacing the 8.25 with a 44 at some point this summer before regearing. Trying to get it ready for Fall Fling in Moab this October.

I was always under the impression the 8.25 was just about as strong as the xj d44, I thought the consensus was not worth the upgrade unless you destroy the 8.25. I guess some 8.25's got axle shafts with higher spline counts too.

Even with 3.73's I couldn't get mine done without removing the carrier. Honestly it's easy enough to just pull it and it makes it that much easier to do the install on the work bench instead of on your back.

I thought you needed a housing spreader on most jeep dana axles to get the carrier out?

I just ordered 4.88's and an ARB for my rig so I get to learn all about this for a 14 bolt and a d60...

Nathan
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

reddman

Fabber
I thought you needed a housing spreader on most jeep dana axles to get the carrier out?

You don't need a case spreader for any of the standard Dana axles. I only bother using my case spreader when actually setting up a ring and pinion (it's still merely a convenience, not a necessity), but never for less involved tasks like lockers. It's too easy to use two prybars (on the carrier) or two wrenches (on the ring gear bolts) to pry it out; case spreaders are too heavy and cumbersome. With some smarts and a soft faced deadblow, carriers go back in pretty easily as well.

By the way, the carrier is heavy, so have a friend be ready to catch it while you pry. It's possible to do alone, but I wouldn't do your first one solo.

Last edited: