Goblin Valley vandalism

DAA

Wow... Dude just attained a whole new level of Tool in my book. I mean, there are tools and then there are Tools, with a capital T. Mr. Taylor certainly appears to be an upper case Tool. Wow...

- DAA

blznnp

I just heard about that lawsuit a few hours ago from a friend, can't stand people that do that type of crap, pretending to be hurt to get money.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
Well that disability claim is out the window. I guess it made national news, CNN. They talked to both the guys in charge and the district attorney. The attorney said they are part reviewing the case and may b pushing for a felony. Plus with it going national, they will be made an example of. Unless somebody backs down. These guys ara screwed.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I was involved with scouting from 8 - 18 and was a reserve police officer under charter of the Explorer Scouts after that. I made it to Eagle and even got a letter from Ronald Reagan. I credit scouting with giving me an opportunity to rise above my circumstances.

Fast forward a couple of decades to when my oldest Godson was old enough to join scouting and I was excited for him to join in the largely secular community of Ft Lauderdale. At the time, the county had declared war on scouting due to their anti-ghey policies and wouldn't allow troops to meet at any of the public schools. With all the negative press, his dad was hesitant to sign him up.

The first troop overnight was upon us and we were all meeting at the parking lot. The scout master came up to my friend and I to tell us that he had the pot so we could smoke-up after the kids go to sleep. The parents set up a screen house with a bar and spent the night inside mixing drinks. The guy who was head of the council told me he preferred to have campouts outside of the Boy Scout Camps since no alcohol is allowed there.

Point is, without LDS support or any faith- based organization the BSA couldn't survive. Not only is it the financial support, it's also moral equivalence of the organizations. After all, isn't a scout reverent?

blznnp

I love how they go into PR mode when they get heat, saying they did it for the children. If anything, it sounds like they're trying to convince themselves of their motives.

how do you think his lawyer feels with him now trying to claim disability. His lawyer said that just because he is recovering now doesn't mean he hasn't suffered in the past. To me, if this guy is now claiming disability after 4 years from the car accident, then he should still be in pain, which is definitely not the case, or so it doesn't seem. Anyone know what the stature (not sure if that's the right word) of likitation is to file a claim on a car accident? My dad had a guy that tried to do the same on him once the limitation was almost up.

ZUKEYPR

Point is, without LDS support or any faith- based organization the BSA couldn't survive. Not only is it the financial support, it's also moral equivalence of the organizations. After all, isn't a scout reverent?

So are you suggesting that without a religious based BSA that no leaders could possibly have a moral compass or the scales would tip overall as to not having one or am I interpreting your words incorrectly?

neagtea

Supporting Member
Fu<tards, then trying to justify by saying it is safer now.
Yes we did stupid stuff when we were young but these are grown men.

XJEEPER

Dont judge all by the actions of a few. This applies to the BSA, LDS, Non-LDS, wheelers, etc. Im confident that they will be held accountable for their actions and this incident will be a lesson to all Scouters for years to come.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
So are you suggesting that without a religious based BSA that no leaders could possibly have a moral compass or the scales would tip overall as to not having one or am I interpreting your words incorrectly?

In my home state of NJ where I was involved in BSA, councils have had to merge, a scout camp I used to go to is now a landfill and the other is now open only a couple of weeks as a day amp in the summer, the troop I was in no longer exists.
On the other side, the Catholic school I attended in Newark, NJ has been renamed and merged with 5 other parochial schools that had to shut down due to an erosion of membership.
I believe that in areas that secular attitudes are on the rise and conservative principals are in decline (NJ & FL perfect example) the scouts are simply not needed.
Although I personally do not believe that it's possible to be a moral progressive, I do not have evidence that it's impossible.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Most are church based. You do not have to go to church to be a good person but church seems to draw more good then bad but there are still both there as in any group of people.

ZUKEYPR

Most are church based. You do not have to go to church to be a good person but church seems to draw more good then bad but there are still both there as in any group of people.
Now we're in agreement as well as probably the legal defense for the past 20 years for the Catholic church, or the legal defense for the three LDS bishops cases in the past 6 months for sexual abuse. Organized Religion doesn't make the persons character, only the individual can make their own character. Each has their saints and each has their dirtbags.

ZUKEYPR

"A northern Utah Boy Scouts council announced Monday that Glenn Taylor and Dave Hall will no longer be allowed to lead scouting troops due to what happened Oct. 11 at Goblin Valley State Park, which they filmed and posted on Facebook."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27331679&nid=148

I'd just be inquiring as to what else the idiots did in front of the young men. You know they never, ever, get busted on the "first" time.

Caleb

This thread is quite pathetic. A thread about a couple guys making a bad decision has turned in to a religious bashing thread, then a BSA bashing thread, and now a religious BSA bashing thread...only in Utah would any of that be a discussion when ultimately it's ONLY about a couple of guys being stupid. The fact that they were there as a calling from their church with a boy scout group is completely irrelevant to the story.

DAA

The fact that they were there as a calling from their church with a boy scout group is completely irrelevant to the story.

In Bizarro World perhaps. Here in the good old Utah, USA, Planet Earth, the fact that they were there as a calling from their church leading a boy scout group IS THE STORY. The rock getting pushed over is a necessary side bar to the story but definitely IS NOT "the story".

Had they been two random, garden variety atheists by themselves, people would still be outraged, but only at the act, and really, just how much controversy can pushing over a rock generate? It would have been over already by now, except on a few SUWA social media outlets. Make them Mormons though, in a position of leadership, over a group of young people, chosen to be put there by their church. Well now, there is some controversy with legs!

BTW... I actually agree that the thread is kind of dumb. Herzog really nailed it in that regard. But I don't agree that the BSA/church thing isn't relevant. Instead of the rock being the important aspect, the rock is just a symbol in a story that reaches more people on a much deeper level. It's one thing to be a solo dum-azz operating on your own without any guidelines or other peoples children under your supervision to impact with your stupidity. Quite another to do the same dum-azz stuff while acting in a church appointed youth leadership position.

- DAA