Goblin Valley vandalism

roverrocks

I hadn't heard much about this, but it sounds like they're getting "charged" with third degree felonies. Surprising. I think it's kinda cheesy how they invented the $ ammount for the damages. It sounds to me like they just picked a number out of a hat.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home3/57478685-200/hall-formation-goblin-rock.html.csp
I hope they are convicted and get prison time for the vandalism and the supreme arrogance of posting the video. A detestable act of destruction. I visited Goblin Valley just last week for the Nth time and love that place. Idiots like these are a big reason why many wondrous places have been closed off. Nail em!!!!

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I hope they are convicted and get prison time for the vandalism and the supreme arrogance of posting the video. A detestable act of destruction. I visited Goblin Valley just last week for the Nth time and love that place. Idiots like these are a big reason why many wondrous places have been closed off. Nail em!!!!

I think they have more than learned their lesson. I imagine others have also learned a big lesson from their experience. Damage is done, tears are cried, lives were threatened. Let them move on.

If they MUST be punished.. A Fee and jail time does absolutely nothing to repair, or prevent the situation now or future... Let them give some lectures to school kids about the great wonders of Utah. Help spread awareness and love of our state.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
They're still insisting that they did it "to protect their Troop". I don't think they have learned their lesson at all.

I thought a news story said the mans dad died from a falling boulder.. Did I make that up or was it there?
If so, his story would in fact make sense..

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I agree with jeeper. They should be made to do a talking tour about vandalism. Our high adventure this year is in Moab. The kids have been put on threat of life and limb about their actions

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
How is it that these guys can get charged for this kind of stuff, and yet the cops that killed that lady in WVC during the drug bust have yet to be charged? I don't get it.

roverrocks

How is it that these guys can get charged for this kind of stuff, and yet the cops that killed that lady in WVC during the drug bust have yet to be charged? I don't get it.
Explicit video tape evidence of the Goblin Valley guys plus they are not cops versus Cops-can-do-anything-they-damn-well-please-and-get-away-with-it. The Blue Wall of Silence as it is often referred to.

Back to the Goblin Valley dufuses. I don't want them in jail sucking up more of my tax dollars to accomplish absolutely nothing. I want them spending their money and time doing whatever they can to right this wrong.

LT.

I think a large fine is a good start. As far as jail time goes I dont think that is prudent. However, I would love to see some community service. Especially for the parks service. I think 500 to 1000 hours for all involved would be a great start. Fines as punishment, community service as the apology. Maybe even in the goblin valley area. One of the corner stones for the boy scouts of america is service. Time these former leaders were taught this lesson.

LT.

DAA

My take...

Jail time for tipping over a rock is ludicrous. Yeah, it was stupid. Yeah it was an act of vandalism, destruction of public property and resources, occurred in an unthinkable setting. But, still - jail, for tipping over a rock? I don't think that is appropriate, or sends a good message. The message I'd get from it, is that peoples "feelings" are more important in the punishment of crime than simple objective analysis. And only the feelings of specific groups, at that. I'm against that in all it's forms...

I think these guys have already suffered substantially for what they did. Add on top of that the upcoming trial, attorneys fees etc., and I for one think they will have already paid a pretty heavy price before even being sentenced.

With that in mind, what I personally would like to see, is a fine - not a crazy huge one that will burden the families of the men for a decade or more, but just a nice hefty sting. The range proposed sounds about right to me.

And heck yes, community service of some sort. And lots of it. But NOT speaking to kids or anyone else. The last thing I want is this pair of stupid fawks being put in a position to preach to kids. Keep them the hell away from any situation even remotely resembling that. Don't let them talk to anyone. Just tell them to STFU and put them to work on some sort of park maintenance, lots of that work, for lots of hours. But not anywhere near Goblin Valley, either. It wouldn't be feasible anyway, given where they live, but again, when I visit Goblin Valley, the last thing I want to see is this pair of jack asses. Put them to work somewhere where nobody has to see them.

- DAA

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The kids of of one of the leaders goes to my school. The family has suffered.

I would be happy with fine if the guy would just admit he did it to look cool for the troop rather than for their safety. That is just silly.

If he won't change his tune punish him until he does:eek: