Going Buggy at BFE

Badbuggy

rock star
There were 4 rigs from GJ planning an overnight to Area BFE. Being the Friday night of Labor day weekend, we expected big crowds out there. But when we got there we meet CSR and his Mosquito leaving, and leaving the place to us. We jumped in on Lockjaw for the warm up. It is a fun trail with a couple of hard lines that had us testing the metals of our rides. After the warm up, we went straight over to Greenday as it started getting dark. Taking all the hard lines coming up the ravine we came upon a rock with a deep cut in the left side. I was running in the front and thought I had the line just right, but no. I layed the buggy over ever so gently on the left side. Both right hand tires were sicking up in the air. I shifted to reverse, and found just enough tranny fluid to back up about 6 inches. I opted for a winch line to right my rig back to all fours. Then found the right line to drive it on up. Bob was next and made it look easy, Mike came next and foolishly followed my spotting to nearly the same predicament I had just gotten out of. After a back up he hit the sweet spot and climbed right up. By the time we got to suicide hill it was darker than the inside of a cow. Bob and I had tried it in the rain one day with out much luck, but this time Bob knew the line he wanted and drove right up. I chickened out and drove around. The first time I tried that hill I caught my buggy on fire..... but I digress. Peer pressure don't bother me. Mike put his front wheels up on the rock and ended up a little sideways. After backing down he tried it again. Bouncing a little over to the left in the front. He was a little further up on the hill and this time he came back hard and bounced on the right rear tire. His buggy rarred up like the the lone ranger and fell hard, landing upside down at the bottom of the hill. It is all fun and games till someone stops with all four tires in the air. It took us a while to get it turned back over, so we chose to pull spark plugs just to be on the safe side. Soon we had it fired up without any major issues.
Afterwards we drove back to camp and cooked hotdogs and smores on the campfire, like a bunch of girlscouts, under a very full moon. Thus ending the first day at BFE.

Badbuggy

rock star
Lock Jaw
BFELockJaw.jpg

Badbuggy

rock star
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VpB1z8aqgNQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VpB1z8aqgNQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

JeepDiva

Dang, that hill at the top of Green Day is intimidating enough in the daylight, let alone at night. Looks like you had fun though!

Badbuggy

rock star
Nice pics. Bummed I missed running with you guys.
The next day was even better, you missed out.

that looks like a pretty fun trail, did you guys spend the night in BFE?
We brought campers and tents and spent the weekend out at BFE.

We thought we saw you in the parking lot at gold bar. If I wasn't flying I would have stopped to say hi.
Wish you had, I have not seen you in a while.

Dang, that hill at the top of Green Day is intimidating enough in the daylight, let alone at night. Looks like you had fun though!
Yep, nobody got hurt, and damage was kept to a minimum. I am with you, I want to be able to see how bad I am going to screw it up.

Badbuggy

rock star
Okay, on with the story.
The next morning we were up and at it early. Checking over the rigs in the daylight, and making some minor repairs to Mikes buggy, and tightening up a few bolts on mine.
Ed (black Cj5 on 44s) spent the night in town, and found something else to do for the day.
We decided to run Helldorado next. The entrance, and the squeeze were no problem. Bob crossed over breakover rock like it was nothing. I was next and tried several times to slide the buggy over the rock. No luck, so I opted for a pull. Mike got really close and with some human ballast up front, he came over the rock too. Tig showed up about that time and tried the line on the right. I have seen rear steer buggys go through pretty easy, and Tig said he had made it through before. But this time he couldn't find the line. After several attempts, Tig tried Breakover rock. He ended up suspending all four and had to be pulled off the rock. But not for the lack of trying.
Next we headed for the waterfall. We all had visions of hitting the right line and zipping up over the top, but it was Tig who kicked sand in our face, so to speak. I love high horsepower.