Good exhaust shop?

Lka1988

poor college student
I need some work done to my exhaust. Gotta replace the O2 sensors. I'd also like to upgrade my downpipes from the dinky 1-7/8 or whatever they are to maybe 2-2.25. Spoke to Jesse at Ricks Muffler in Orem and he said he doesn't want to build new downpipes. Dunno, maybe it's harder than it looks.

Anyone know of a shop that would be willing to build downpipes? Or am I missing something? I'll be supplying the O2 sensors and new bungs.

jdub

Scrambler
I'd say Gaylons then, I didn't know they did exhaust, makes sense though.

Jr's by geneva and 4th south Orem has been good at unconventional stuff but they snuck up from $80 original quote to $200 without a phone call. Worth it but I didn't give them the go ahead.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
EJ at Kwik City in Layton is awesome as well. He enjoys doing the custom stuff. He did the Scout exhaust a couple weeks ago and I was impressed.

But if your in Utah co. already.....Gaylons

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
EJ at Kwik City in Layton is awesome as well. He enjoys doing the custom stuff. He did the Scout exhaust a couple weeks ago and I was impressed.

I had EJ do my exhaust in my cj about 4 months ago and already most the welds are broken... I will be going back to him to get it fixed... but I didn;t like the looks of his welds from the start...

N8RB8R

I need some work done to my exhaust. Gotta replace the O2 sensors. I'd also like to upgrade my downpipes from the dinky 1-7/8 or whatever they are to maybe 2-2.25. Spoke to Jesse at Ricks Muffler in Orem and he said he doesn't want to build new downpipes. Dunno, maybe it's harder than it looks.

Anyone know of a shop that would be willing to build downpipes? Or am I missing something? I'll be supplying the O2 sensors and new bungs.
On most vehicles if you go to bigger downpipes you lose some back pressure which kills your low end torque and economy, certainly on a fuel injected v6.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I had EJ do my exhaust in my cj about 4 months ago and already most the welds are broken... I will be going back to him to get it fixed... but I didn;t like the looks of his welds from the start...

interesting.

His welds on the Scout are not the prettiest but he didnt have much room to do them either. Everything is VERY tight. They wont be breaking tho

RESCUETJ

Downpipes

Dear lka1988, I can build them if you want but like I told you at the shop, you will lose bottom end torque, which you don't want in a crawler. Still, let me know if i can help. Thanks jess@ricks muffler.

Last edited:

Lka1988

poor college student
On most vehicles if you go to bigger downpipes you lose some back pressure which kills your low end torque and economy, certainly on a fuel injected v6.

I resent that comment. NO Land Cruiser EVER had a V6.

thefinger.gif

Lka1988

poor college student
Dear lka1988, I can build them if you want but like I told you at the shop, you will lose bottom end torque, which you don't want in a crawler. Still, let me know if i can help. Thanks jess@ricks muffler.

Jess, you saw the pipes firsthand... To me, they're WAY small. You think replacing them with slightly larger diameter pipe will reduce low-end a lot? It doesn't put out a whole lot to begin with; about 220 ft-lbs at 3000, 155 HP at 4000....

In my mind, the bigger the better... Or am I out of line here? I know the engine needs some back pressure to operate properly, but I thought it came from the manifolds themselves, at least on this engine.

Last edited:

Lka1988

poor college student
Actually, Jess, I have a question... You saw how the pipes were all curvy and stuff... I've been told that less bends will free up some top end... Could you weigh in on this?