H2 spy pix.....well sort of....

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
i decided to head over to seiners to check out the H2s you can see from I-15 as you drive by.....i guess they are OK?!? anyway i pulled into the backlot in my suit and tie to try and reduce the chance of harrassment from the sales scumbags. I was successful and was only questioned by the lot boys who i promptly growled at and they left me alone to open the hood, doors, fire it up and take all the damned pictures i wanted!!

anyway here goes!!
h21.jpg

look at the pretty paint job and those BFG all terrains get me all excited!!
h22.jpg

wow look at that shiny shift knob and all that leather, now that screams offroad!!
h23.jpg
I got a sticker price that could choke a donkey!! now if it came with the duramax diesel, that would be something to raise an eyebrow over!!

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
h24.jpg

hold on.....what have we here.... locking rear diff....hmmm this might get interesting yet....
h25.jpg

how pretty....it even flips up like a "real" hummer!!
h26.jpg

and this is ever so useful for pumping up the kids BMX tires with!!! located ever so nicely in the rear compartment!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
h27.jpg

lets play name that GM differential!!! there is an E-locker in there somewhere so the sticker says!!!
h28.jpg

look at those shiny buttons......pretty obvious what those things are ayyyyyy

I cant say that i wouldn't own one someday. If they tossed the diesel in there i would be a lot more pleased with it's credibility. I do have to admit that it is probably the most rugged thing we have on the common market right now that is born in the USA. excluding the real hummer of course but hey the prices on those suckers started where these little ones left off!!

talk to me people!!

Last edited:
Oh, bay-bee!!!!!!!!!

I've been watchin' these for a while, ever since my bro-in-law asked me about them a couple years ago, and I dissed on them at the time, since the locker & 35's & skidplates & decent clearance & 6.0 & stuff hadn't been discussed yet. Ever since it evolved into what is now on sale, I've been in LOVE. I am impressed.

I make no bones, I WILL have one of these someday. The 6.0 is no slouch, and the e-locker in that 9.5" 14bolt is SUWEEEEEEEEEEETT. GM has needed to do something like this for YEARS. Ya, it still has IFS, and no front locker, but it does have a rear locker and traction control that is biased for 4-wheeling in addition to snow and stuff.

Can't wait to drive one. Can't wait to own one.

Wow, the H2 and the Rubicon in the same year. Whodathunkit?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
if theyt would plop the duramax into the thing, i thinnk they would have an expedetion/excursion beater on their hands. they would need to drop that exorbatent price tag though!! that would make one helluva tow rig and all the parts are gm bin parts that are pretty much run-of-the-mill....no expensive genuine hummer stuff to replace!! my buddy wants one in a utility bed version for his tow-rig!!

Too Far

parts is parts
I was sitting at a stoplight today and here comes this LOW RIDER h2! It was red with 20" or so rims with super low profile tires on it. Everything was chromed out. Some big black guy at the wheel thumping out his tunes.
It must be that jeep thing again because I sure as hell dont understand.

demon jeep

Banned
I'm sorry but that is not a hummer. It is just a chevy with a locker and a nice body with a cool warrenty. lets take one out to play w/ my open d-35 and lets see who will come out the winner not the humdinger i mean hummer. JUst look under any chev and the hummer and they are VERY close yes the hummer may have one or two tys to it but not enough to class it as a offroad vehicle.. I count it as a family wagon for the rich show off. If you want hummer go to surplus and get one (then put in seats that you can stand to ride in) and then you will have something

my 2 cents

What do you mean by your open dana 35 beating the h2?

If you don't like it, that's a subjective call and that's fine. But to say that it's gonna "lose" to a vehicle equipped with an open D35 just doesn't make sense. Is a locked 9.5" axle with 35s now inferior to a D35?

No one is pretending it doesn't have chevy running gear. It's a damn fine application of chevy running gear too. I just wish they'd have done it sooner (and it wasn't so expensive).

Brett

demon jeep

Banned
I will agree with inferior d-35 very much. The reports that I have read on the H2 pretty much said chev drive train. The rear is a twelve bolt and the new silverato front end. The front has diffrent tortion bars than the chev. The rear I thought said had upgrade axles but not shure. Tranfer case is new and the tranny is silverato.

demon jeep

Banned
HOLY COW I just read three reports ont the H2 and all three of them gave the H2 a diffrent rear end one www.bobsH2review.com said it had a 14 bolt, Ya lets just drag a log off road (no offence to the 14 bolt just hangs low)

The other two one said 12 bolt and the other :D 10 bolt get real
you just wait for the boom. Then I found the right one that gave all Nuber was right 9.5. But still the frame hand to low and
they drive way to wierd it is like riding with your seat on the ground in a truck. Yes I have drove one my father is getting one
:eek: The sales man took us to an area to drive it off road I got the thing stuck twice with the rear end locked. the cool thing is it has to throttle types one for off road and one for pavement and the towing thing that the new chevs are running. After getting stuck the second time we were asked to buy or leave my father is not talking to me for that. The air bags just let you hopp all over on the trail were the old ones just killed your kidneys.

That is my call on the Haaachuu or H2:p

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Nuber
What do you mean by your open dana 35 beating the h2?

If you don't like it, that's a subjective call and that's fine. But to say that it's gonna "lose" to a vehicle equipped with an open D35 just doesn't make sense. Is a locked 9.5" axle with 35s now inferior to a D35?

No one is pretending it doesn't have chevy running gear. It's a damn fine application of chevy running gear too. I just wish they'd have done it sooner (and it wasn't so expensive).

Brett

I promise that thing won't go where I've had my open/open d30/d35 on 33's (more like 31) grocery getter. Well, I guess it depends on the body damage factor. If the H2 owner didn't care about damage then I concede, but otherwise it isn't keeping up.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have that axle, but it isn't that much of a stretch to think that an open rig w/ a d35 couldn't kill that H2 thing off-road.

Cody

Originally posted by GroceryGetter

I promise that thing won't go where I've had my open/open d30/d35 on 33's (more like 31) grocery getter. Well, I guess it depends on the body damage factor. If the H2 owner didn't care about damage then I concede, but otherwise it isn't keeping up.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have that axle, but it isn't that much of a stretch to think that an open rig w/ a d35 couldn't kill that H2 thing off-road.

Cody

What??!?!??!??! Why won't it? I keep hearing these claims, but it is inconsistent with my experience wheeling. If you are going to make such preposterous claims, please at least provide some reasons.

How can you say that with a straight face, that an open rig will kill it off-road??? If that's true, I guess I should just get rid of my lockers then, and the ones in my earlier rigs I guess didn't make any difference either.

I guess you are pulling my leg, cuz I can think of some very simple obstacle types that would stop an open rig cold, yet my stock burb with the stock locker would walk through. It doesn't mean my burb would "kill it" off road, it just means that in different situations, different aspects are more important.

Anyone with a locker knows that they have to engage the front axle much less often. I routinely do stuff in 2wd that stockers in 4x4 are having a hell of a time with, simply because I'm running a locker and bigger tires.

I'm thinking that the H2 will shine anywhere that it will fit. Having wheeled a blazer, a later bronco, and 2 burbs, I know that it will fit in quite a few places. Having also wheeled a pinto :)D :D ), a sammy, a cherokee, a nissan pickup, and a cj (before and after) I know where a smaller rig can fit.

300+ HP, 35's, locker, clearance, skid plates, on-board air. Stock.

I think it will do just fine, and I have yet to hear why it won't. I look forward to wheelin' in one.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Nuber

What??!?!??!??! Why won't it? I keep hearing these claims, but it is inconsistent with my experience wheeling. If you are going to make such preposterous claims, please at least provide some reasons.

How can you say that with a straight face, that an open rig will kill it off-road??? If that's true, I guess I should just get rid of my lockers then, and the ones in my earlier rigs I guess didn't make any difference either.

I guess you are pulling my leg, cuz I can think of some very simple obstacle types that would stop an open rig cold, yet my stock burb with the stock locker would walk through. It doesn't mean my burb would "kill it" off road, it just means that in different situations, different aspects are more important.

Anyone with a locker knows that they have to engage the front axle much less often. I routinely do stuff in 2wd that stockers in 4x4 are having a hell of a time with, simply because I'm running a locker and bigger tires.

I'm thinking that the H2 will shine anywhere that it will fit. Having wheeled a blazer, a later bronco, and 2 burbs, I know that it will fit in quite a few places. Having also wheeled a pinto :)D :D ), a sammy, a cherokee, a nissan pickup, and a cj (before and after) I know where a smaller rig can fit.

300+ HP, 35's, locker, clearance, skid plates, on-board air. Stock.

I think it will do just fine, and I have yet to hear why it won't. I look forward to wheelin' in one.

a locker is beneficial in any circumstance!!! there are things you can do in some vehicles that you cant do in others!! i think that H2 would kick the **** out of your open diff vehicle!! not that we have the ability to prove it either way but lets just say that GM put some effort into making this vehicle "off-highway" ready!! i dont like how low it sits, but how long do you think ti will take suspension companies to fix that??!!?? go crawl around one and check it out. given it is little more than a burb with a locker and onboard air but it is better than an opened diff rig of any type. i know greg has taken a bone stock tj through golden spike i saw the video!!

all i am saying is dont bag on it till you put it up against your rig with a competent driver, and dont think that i am calling ti a rock crawler because it is an off-highway vehicle!! i like it and would love to have one as a tow rig!!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I'm not saying I don't need lockers or I wouldn't love to have lockers fore and aft (just give me a few months!), but just like you said, anywhere it can fit it can go. I've done Lower Proving grounds, Lower helldorado, Pritchett, lots of cool lines in Lil' Moab, don't spin a tire on dump bump, walked up rock chucker and widowmaker with little effort, and lots of other stuff. Granted, some of those trails and obstacles are easy for you, but would you take an H2 through them and expect it to emerge unscathed?

I am by no means tooting my own horn, because I know my rig is ghetto and needs tons of work and I can't drive for ****, but I walked right up 3 different climbs in Hells Revenge that a toy p/u w/ dual cases, locked front and rear on 37's spent dozens of tries on before it could do them--right after he told me there is no way an open diffed rig would go up it. Kevin Hawkins told me that he didn't think it was possible for an open diffed rig to do the Rock Pile. After 2 tries he thought I was going to make it. If I had a dollar for every time someone has told me that I couldn't do something because I was open--and then did it, I'd have at least enough for a case of Corona's to hand out after the trail. So please don't take offense or flame me because I don't take your oppinion as law that a H2 can kill me off road.

The logic behind the claim you find so rediculous--
1) I weigh half as much as the H2
2) I'm narrower & more versitile WB
3) My HP to weight ratio is better (250-275hp)
4) solid axles, more flex
5) better break over, entrance, departure
6) body damage doesn't matter
7) axles that don't seem to break easily w/ open diffs
8) probably equal clearance under the diffs
9) lack of fear to try something that someone else says I can't do

H2 has on me:
1) bigger engine
2) bigger rear axle
3) rear locker
4) HD drivetrain

Your trying to make the argument that a vehicle with a locker is superior to a vehicle without a locker regardless of other factors. Old Caddy's have a big block and stout gear--if you put a locker in it will it be an offroad machine? If you lock the h2 up front and rear and pit it against the Assassin w/ open diffs, who do you think will win? There are other variables in the equation than just a big engine and a locker and the H2 is built on a platform that is inherantly disadvantaged. It's an Escalade w/ OBA.
A locker makes up for a lot, but is it enough? The entire argument is based on inductive logic that just reeks of fallacy. For an assembly line vehicle it's formidable I concede, but the notion that a locker makes up for anything is as "preposterous" as paying 1400 dollars for leather.

So, i'm not saying you don't know what you are talking about because you probably have way more experience than myself. I realize the value of a locker and I'm not trying to devalue that. I've watched many a locker push or pull a rig over an obstacle. But that rear locker has a LOT of weight to push. Besides, I'm sure you'll agree that there is no equation that makes a rig superior. It may look better on paper, but other factors come into play. Unless there is some higher law of wheeling that I'm not privy to , then I stand by my claim. So until someone can logicaly qualify an argument for the H2's superiority a little better, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Can the H2 go anywhere that I can go? Hell yes. Can it go a few more places? Probably. But I can promise you that if or when it does it will not look the same afterwards.

Cody

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by GroceryGetter

Can the H2 go anywhere that I can go? Hell yes. Can it go a few more places? Probably. But I can promise you that if or when it does it will not look the same afterwards.

Cody

I dont see why not. It has skid plates and rocker protection. It has excellent approach and departure angles. IT is wider and heavier making it harder to squeeze into certain spots.

I do have to hand it to you though, a good driver that knows their vehicles abilities is of even more worth than a locker!! that part is for certain. throw back to greg taking the stock TJ through the crack!! good driver = success on obstacles!! your success in navigation of obstacles proves the point that lockers are not 100% necessary for certain places. I will start a new thread about this topic.

I am not saying that the H2 is better than your rig!! I am saying it shouldn't be dismissied just yet!!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
We took a stock ZJ through the Golden Spike last weekend.

OK, it was on 30's, but thats it.

even with as little body as I have, I have still managed to bang sheetmetal on several obstacles over the past few months.

This year at GSW, I spent some time strapping several ZJ's with rear lockers and similar if not better suspension/tire combos over a few obstacles that I made it over. We've all seen lockers out do open diffs, but there are other factors that can effect the situation. So, I maintain that a locker is not a 1 size fits all solution for offroad prowess.

I'm not dismissing the H2-with the propper nut behind the wheel, I'm sure it could go some places. I kind of think that the kind of driver that would do such a thing (unless filfthy rich and therefor uncaring about damage) would not invest 50k into a hummer but rather 10k into a purpose built vehicle that they can trailer back and forth from the trials with their wifes H2. The H2 was built on a platform that is not designed for off road use with the intentions of making people think it is an offroad machine. They would have been better off sticking with and possibly refining the H1 suspension and updating the body and drivetrain to make it more suitable for the computer programmers that are going to buy the thing.

Cody

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
Hey, just a minute. You guys are going at this a little one-sided. Up front let me say I don't like the hummer. Sorry that's my opinion. The old-school hummer was okay. The H2 is way too GM for my taste. I'm on my 13th Ford now. But, you guys are talking about the hummer's ability as a rockcrawler. In the large world of offroading, rockcrawling is only a small portion. The US military chose the hummer for one basic reason, diversity. It can do it all. I hate to say it, but the new H2 follows that basic principal also.