Ham Radio Operators! What radio / band do you use?

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
I'm a relatively new ham radio licensee, and I'm looking to get a mobile Ham Radio for my TJ for our back country excursions. I like the Yaesu FT-2980R, but only works on 2m. The FT-7900R will work on 2m and 70cm, but is decently more money.

Which band do you normally talk on while wheeling? Generally speaking, if people usually stick to 2m on the trail, then the answer is pretty easy, but if people out on the trail are using both bands, I will wait longer and get the FT7900.

Experience? thoughts?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I just picked up a Rugged Radio's RM-25R from one of our vendors, @RuggedRadios . It's a Dual Band radio, operating on VHF @ 144-148 MHz and UHF 420-450 MHz . The RM-25R has 25 watts which means it's good for up to 10 miles of communication!

It looks like they've just retired the RM-25R and upgraded the same radio to the RM-25WP which is now water & dirt proof! - https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=296_26&products_id=2180

I'll be posting a thread about it, once I get it installed in my JKU.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I've been happy with my 2980, just don't mount it where it will sit in the sun.
DAA and I were able to talk at almost 20 mile distance.
Either band is more than sufficient for trail runs.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
I just picked up a Rugged Radio's RM-25R from one of our vendors, @RuggedRadios . It's a Dual Band radio, operating on VHF @ 144-148 MHz and UHF 420-450 MHz . The RM-25R has 25 watts which means it's good for up to 10 miles of communication!

It looks like they've just retired the RM-25R and upgraded the same radio to the RM-25WP which is now water & dirt proof! - https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=296_26&products_id=2180

I'll be posting a thread about it, once I get it installed in my JKU.

Hurry up and get that installed so I have a good reason to get one.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Almost always on 2m. Pretty much everybody with a radio has 2m, so if yacking with the group is on the agenda, a single band will do you fine.

There are a bunch of 70cm repeaters out there though, so if you're getting a radio with the idea that it'll let you reach out and touch someone in an emergency, the dual band might be worth the extra coin...

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm looking to get a mobile Ham Radio for my TJ for our back country excursions.

Which band do you normally talk on while wheeling?

I am a huge proponent of dual band radios for Jeeping and/or back country excursions. The primary reason being obvious: if you're off the grid (read: out of phone range) and trying to reach someone in an emergency, you significantly expand your options when you have 70cm capability on top of 2m capability. Utah happens to have more 70cm repeaters than 2m repeaters, for example, and I like knowing that I have that many more options for help should something bad happen. While 2m usually works from nearly anywhere around here, I have on occasion used 70cm when I've been out in the boonies.

OTOH, if you only want to chat with your fellow trail buddies in their rigs, 2m will suit that need perfectly.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Just a side note... while out on the trail with buddies most of us don't use the repeaters but instead use simplex mode where you are talking directly to each other not thru a repeater. so 2 meter works great for this where as 70cm has just a bit smaller range. either will work for you.

I have had my license since 1991 and have always used Yaesu radios. my first (still have it) is a Ft-2200 that I had to replace the battery that holds the memory after 12 yrs of working.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Something I forgot to mention:

I'm looking to get a mobile Ham Radio for my TJ .... I like the Yaesu FT-2980R

Another significant benefit the FT-7900R has over the FT-2980R is a removable faceplate. Being able to mount the body of the radio anywhere in the Jeep gives you many, many more installation options; the only part that needs to be near you is the faceplate itself. In my TJ, my FT-7900R's faceplate is mounted directly to the windshield frame above the driver's sun visor--it is right in front of me when I need to see it, yet completely out of the way when it doesn't matter. Slick.

Also:

Just a side note... while out on the trail with buddies most of us don't use the repeaters but instead use simplex mode where you are talking directly to each other not thru a repeater.

This is precisely what I meant to say in my post, but failed to do so. John knows this all too well, as he and I have stayed in ham contact via simplex operation on a variety of runs at Easter Jeep Safari... sometimes even while running different trails miles apart.

Thanks for the clarification, John.

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Something I forgot to mention:

Another significant benefit the FT-7900R has over the FT-2980R is a removable faceplate. Being able to mount the body of the radio anywhere in the Jeep gives you many, many more installation options; the only part that needs to be near you is the faceplate itself. In my TJ, my FT-7900R's faceplate is mounted directly to the windshield frame above the driver's sun visor--it is right in front of me when I need to see it, yet completely out of the way when it doesn't matter. Slick.

Mind snagging a pic of your install when you get a moment? I'm intrigued. I'm currently considering waiting a little longer and getting the FT-7900R, one of the big selling points is just what you described above.

This is precisely what I meant to say in my post, but failed to do so. John knows this all too well, as he and I have stayed in ham contact via simplex operation on a variety of runs at Easter Jeep Safari... sometimes even while running different trails miles apart.

Agreed. I have a UV5R currently, and have been very impressed with what even the handhelds will do. I was on top of the mesa headed towards Metal Masher, and had a friend down on the opposite side of Gooney Bird Rock, and was able to hear very clearly.

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
I don't think I've seen that one. I've been communicating with a guy selling a 7800 and the faceplate remount kit for $250. I'm torn because if I go to ham radio outlet, I can get a brand new 7900 for $330, so for around $80 more I get everything new. Not sure what to do yet.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Mind snagging a pic of your install when you get a moment? I'm intrigued.

Here ya go:
xTXJgcx.jpg

Since my ham radio is remote mounted, I also installed an external speaker for it. That speaker and location work very well.

I don't think I've seen that one. I've been communicating with a guy selling a 7800 and the faceplate remount kit for $250. I'm torn because if I go to ham radio outlet, I can get a brand new 7900 for $330, so for around $80 more I get everything new. Not sure what to do yet.

Actually, you can get a shiny new sealed box FT-7900R for only $269.95 shipped from Ham Radio Online. Since that gives you a full warranty, all new hardware and an equally new remote mount kit for the faceplate, I don't see how a used 7900 for $250 is any kind of "good deal." But maybe I'm just weird that way.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I have spent the majority of my time on 2m, but I have occasionally found a 70cm repeater with traffic and have listened in. I also helped shuttle some HAM nerds up to install a repeater in AF canyon they want to connect to other repeaters in the area. The one they installed in Major Evans gulch was a 70cm, so I am glad I have a dual band rig in my truck.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I'm currently considering waiting a little longer and getting the FT-7900R, one of the big selling points is just what you described above.

I meant to mention this earlier: would you like to check out the FT-7900R in my TJ? I'm going to drive the Jeep to work today (Doug Smith Autoplex in American Fork), and I'll be there until 9pm. Come by so as to look things over and see what you think. You are certainly welcome to fire up the radio and make a few contacts while you're at it, of course.

I'll PM you my number.

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Thank you sir! I'd love that, but will have to take a raincheck. I've got other obligations tonight, otherwise that would be very appealing. I'll shoot you a brief text. I'll be up that way next weekend for a club meeting, if you're around I'd like to come check out your setup.

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Well, I succumbed to a labor day sale on Ham Radio Outlet. Bought an FT-2980R for $130. We'll how it goes, if I still want 70cm for wheeling, I'll put this in the tow pig.