Hanging Tree vs. JKU on 35's

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've seen plenty of pics and video of Hanging Tree, but have never ran it myself.... thinking about changing that soon. How would a long, low JKU on 35's fare on that trail? My suspension isn't the most flexy (heavy springs), but I have lockers, rocker protection and beefy bumpers. I realize there is the waterfall at the end, if I have to winch (rather than break) I will. Can a JKU on 35's make it thru Hanging Tree without body damage? That's my biggest concern... don't want to destroy my Jeep.

Pile of parts

35's are fine with a TJ but hard to judge the JKU. Ran is once with sixstringsteve when he had his IFS Toyota on 35's, I believe. It was built low and kind of long. No body protection and if I recall correctly, he suffered some body damage.

Greg

Admin
35's are fine with a TJ but hard to judge the JKU. Ran is once with sixstringsteve when he had his IFS Toyota on 35's, I believe. It was built low and kind of long. No body protection and if I recall correctly, he suffered some body damage.

It seems like 35's are good on a TJ for tough trails, but minimal on a JKU on 35's for the same tough trails. I don't mind beating up the sliders & bumpers, but sheetmetal damage isn't appealing to me.

I need a beater 4x4... :rofl:

I won't take mine on it and it's right in my backyard, but come on over and I'll ride with you in yours ;)

That's a good gauge, then. My bigger issues are that I usually leave my hardtop on and I have that full-length roof rack... plenty of stuff that could get damaged if the JKU gets leaned over into rocks.

I may have to pass on this one. :(

Thanks for all the info, guys!

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Probably a wise move. I think it can be done without any body damage but I always told people to expect body damage. I have done that trail on 35s in my XJ. I want to say maybe even 33s a long time ago but can't remember bt pretty sure I did.

Greg

Admin
Probably a wise move. I think it can be done without any body damage but I always told people to expect body damage. I have done that trail on 35s in my XJ. I want to say maybe even 33s a long time ago but can't remember bt pretty sure I did.

I ran the Rubicon with friends last year and had a close call with body damage... my JKU is too nice & new to be denting up! Thanks for the further intel!

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I ran it once in mine on 35's got some minor body damage. Easily could have been worse. I think at the time I decided that Jeep wouldn't see HT again until I was on 37's which never ended up happening.

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Just checked some pictures and I was still on stock suspension with a budget boost. Had all my body protection and still managed to get a little rock rash on the body.

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk

Greg

Admin
I ran it once in mine on 35's got some minor body damage. Easily could have been worse. I think at the time I decided that Jeep wouldn't see HT again until I was on 37's which never ended up happening.

Just checked some pictures and I was still on stock suspension with a budget boost. Had all my body protection and still managed to get a little rock rash on the body.

That says a lot, coming from you... I know you weren't scared to wheel your JKU hard! I felt the same way about the Rubicon, 37's would have helped my long & low JKU. Thanks for the input Brian.... and it's good to hear from you!

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Greg if you want to run it you can ride with us, We are planning on taking the rear steer JK and the buggy out there soon. We can save you a seat

sixstringsteve

All my damage was to sliders and bumpers. I don't think I had any body damage from it. It was a fun trail in that little rig, but it pushed it to the limit. I think it's about on par with the Rubicon.

Bart

I think you're smart leaving your JK off HT in that configuration. I don't think there is a harder trail on wheels, especially on a long wheel base rig. That trail definitely favors shorter wheel bases. Hey Skippy, let me know when you're heading out.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
we are headed to sand hollow this weekend, so any weekedn after this one should be good for me, Whats your schedules looking like?