hard wired cb vs hand held

dbach

just got a jk and was wondering what kind of cb to get for off road use .don't go off road very often ,was wondering if a hand held would be good ,sure would save a lot of work mounting cb and running coax and antenna. what do think ?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
hand held can work, but the range is suspect. I had one for many years, but it was so ineffective I started leaving it at home. I am sure I still have it somewhere, but I don't know where now. It all depends on what you want out of it. Technology may have improved in hand helds over the last 15 years too.

Handheld CB's have never worked that well for me, but considering that most CB comms are jeeping where you are mostly line of sight and nearby, maybe a handheld would work. I suppose newer ones are better than what I used (20 years ago).

I have a Cobra portable CB with mag-mount antenna that I use in my eXcursion that I have also used in non-CB vehicles on the trail (or loaned to people) that seems to work ok. The nice thing is that a decent antenna could be mounted and then you just hook it up each time you use it. I may be adding an antenna to the eXcursion for just this purpose.

HAM is really the way to go, and there is an active HAM license discussion and a test Tuesday night if you are interested. I have HAM radios in my rigs, and a couple of handhelds (just ordered another one a couple of days ago).

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have a Midland 75-822 (http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822-Channel-CB-Way-Radio/dp/B00000K2YR) in my 4Runner, hooked up to a Little Will magnetic antenna. I don't know its max range, but it reaches out pretty far and has been great for trail comm. I just picked up a Cobra Roadtrip from Moody to stick in my wife's truck, it's basically the same thing except comes with it's own stubby magnetic antenna.

What do the guys you drive with have: FRS, CB, or HAM? I do plan on getting a HAM eventually, but it won't be as useful for trail comm until the rest of the guys I run with get one too.

chans

Unless you hook the handheld up to some kind of antenna mounted to your vehicle the range sucks. I bought an expensive one a few years back and at the dunes in the open I was lucky to get 500 yards and usually 100-200 on the trails with the stock antenna. I pretty much stick with GMRS/FRS radios since they are cheap, small and reach to 30 miles now. I can talk to someone on Hells Revenge when they are in the middle of the trail and I am in the city.

ricsrx

i installed my brand new hand held W/ magnetic antenna last weekend on Hunters truck for the training day in AF canyon, the volume was way to low for an open truck, I could barely hear it when i was holding it be for the run, it was difficult for him to operate due to small buttons and dial's, he didn’t even have gloves on, he ended up stuffing it between the seats and it fell thru the opining in the floor and the T-case chewed up the buttons on the side...... its still operable but im sure i will never use it again.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
just got a jk and was wondering what kind of cb to get for off road use .don't go off road very often ,was wondering if a hand held would be good ,sure would save a lot of work mounting cb and running coax and antenna. what do think ?

As others have said, handheld CB radios typically have lousy range unless you use an external antenna... and if you're going to mount an antenna anyway, why not just go ahead and install a fixed radio while you're at it? I'm sure that Midland handheld linked above is a nice unit, but for half the price you can just get a Uniden PRO510XL:

PRO510XL.jpg

It doesn't offer any superfluous frills, but it has all the essentials in a compact, rugged, dependable unit. Being on the smaller side, it'll be relatively easy to mount in your JK. Add a quality antenna and you're all set.

HAM is really the way to go

I agree with this sentiment for numerous reasons, but (of course) it does require a license and also has a higher buy-in to get on the air. Should you go this route? Well, it all comes down to this:

What do the guys you drive with have: FRS, CB, or HAM?

This really is the heart of the matter. I have run a CB for years in various Jeeps because it was the most useful--it's what most other guys run. As of late, I've been adopted into the Kool Kids Klub (do we spell it all with K's?) and most of them have HAM radios... so now I'm in the process of getting my license. Do you wheel with anyone that has a HAM radio?

Last edited:

skeptic

I ran regular old CBs in my Jeeps, but now I have a handheld (midland 75-822). IMHO, handhelds pretty much suck in comparison. I should probably run an external antenna since this handheld supports it and it would probably up the performance near that of a regular CB, but it's really low on my priority list.

I really like my Cobra 75 WXST. All the controls are on the unit so it pretty compact. Couple guys in my club have them as well and like them for their size and anti theft properties.

Heres one for cheap on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-75-WX...087431581?pt=US_CB_Radios&hash=item232d833f9d

That's the one I have. Works decent. Actually, I have two. I loaned one to mbryson but it was having squelch issues. I've had that one for a few years, started acting up recently. Might be a throwaway.

I prefer the Uniden 520xl over the 510. The gain control is quite usefull

I think that's what I have in the jeep. Works pretty well.

lhracing

I have the midland 75-822 with a firestick antenna and it works good. Plenty of range for wheeling and when it is not being used (which is most of the time) it stores under the seat.