Helicopters/drones for filming

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Okay, let's talk. There's some sweet new stuff coming out. I absolutely love my Iris+, but it's big. There are two new drones that IMO are game changers, The DJI Mavic and the GoPro Karma. Anyone else following the release of these two?

Caleb

Okay, let's talk. There's some sweet new stuff coming out. I absolutely love my Iris+, but it's big. There are two new drones that IMO are game changers, The DJI Mavic and the GoPro Karma. Anyone else following the release of these two?

I actually cancelled my 3dr order I previously mentioned. Too much chatter about them getting out of the consumer drone market. I didn't want to end up with a broken paper weight. I'm 99% sure my next/first drone with be the Karma. That thing looks pretty cool.

rholbrook

I actually cancelled my 3dr order I previously mentioned. Too much chatter about them getting out of the consumer drone market. I didn't want to end up with a broken paper weight. I'm 99% sure my next/first drone with be the Karma. That thing looks pretty cool.

DJI MAVIC, twice the drone as the Karma. Im looking at MAVIC

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
THe Mavic has way more features, but I'm a little worried about the vid quality.

If I can refit a Session to the Mavic.... I'm in.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

I was stoked about the Karma when GoPro released it, the portable size is incredible! Then DJI released the Mavic.... I'm REALLY loving it! I've seriously thinking about selling my Phantom and getting a Mavic.... or picking it up as a 2nd aerial camera.

I have been having so much fun with my Phantom, it's incredible the perspective change you get from shooting from the air. Having something smaller would be so nice!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I'll let y'all know about the Mavic when it shows up in a couple weeks. It'll be my spare to back up the Inspire Pro on the commercial shoots. The karma is silly compared to the Mavic; No follow-me, no smart flight modes, just a drone with the features from a drone made 5 years ago but with a detachable gimbal . I don't trust GoPro to make anything other than cameras but we'll see. I pulled the trigger on mavic release day after about 15 minutes. Never even considered the karma.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I'll let y'all know about the Mavic when it shows up in a couple weeks. It'll be my spare to back up the Inspire Pro on the commercial shoots. The karma is silly compared to the Mavic; No follow-me, no smart flight modes, just a drone with the features from a drone made 5 years ago but with a detachable gimbal . I don't trust GoPro to make anything other than cameras but we'll see. I pulled the trigger on mavic release day after about 15 minutes. Never even considered the karma.

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about the Mavic. From what I've seen on the Karma it does have the smart flight modes, follow me, orbit, ect (although they are called by different names). It actually seems like they are the same ones from the 3DR Solo. Which isn't surprising because GoPro and 3DR collaborated on the Solo. I'm leaning towards the Mavic, but I do like the removal/handheld gimbal and the ability to use the Gopro 5 on the Karma. I really want something I can stick in a backpack and hike with for a bit and my Iris+ is just too big for that one increasingly common part of my life. It works for 80% of what I want though.

Edit: No follow me mode, I had incorrect info. That kills the Karma for me.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm glad you mentioned the maverick, that's on my radar now.

On a side note... i just picked up 2 Hero 5s. I have mixed feelings about them. My biggest gripe is the proprietary cable for charging them (you can't use a regular USB in the camera anymore) and the fact that the batteries from the hero 4 don't work in it (no big surprise here, they do this every year, but they could have easily made them work). I also don't like how you have to open the battery hatch to get at the SD card, but I guess that's the price you pay for having a waterproof body. I'm tempted to return one and get a session 5....

I AM liking the voice activation, along with the one-button on feature on top (or the side button for full menus). I've been fine without an LCD in the past... I'm scared I'm going to break this one. If the session had removable batteries, I'd buy 2 or 3 of those. I love the pricepoint of the hero 5s though, they knocked it out of the park with those.

Ok... back to drones. I'm hoping 2017 is the year I get a drone (and don't crash it on my first outing).

blznnp

looks good greg. Id love to get a drone and do some filming of driving in the canyons and doing offroad (when I actually get the chance to)

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Looking into this more and watching a bunch of youtube videos comparing. The Mavic definitely offers a ton more for a similar price point. Looks like my choice is made. While the video may be a little softer than shooting with a Hero 5, when taken as a package I think it's way better overall. I'll be keeping my Iris+ and adding the Mavic here shortly.

Caleb

I hadn't seen the Mavic (obviously not paying too close of attention to the drone market) until it was mentioned in this thread. While I don't like being locked in to their camera, realistically I doubt I would ever upgrade the hero 5 before it was outdated. I still have my hero 3 that I've never used and it's obviously outdated at this point. I like everything else about the Mavic, it's probably the top spot on my list now. :cool:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You know what sucks? Crashing your drone and seeing bits and pieces flying off it, while it tumbles down a cliff....

:ugh:

#dronelife

rholbrook

A friend of mine took his to White Wash Saturday and his stepson took it out for a minute. Its a DJI Phantom 4. Towards the end of the footage you can see where he skipped it off the ground. The video is of my friend Shawn and my son Harrison.

Here is a link to it on instagram plus another one a week or so above Farmington Canyon. It only makes me want one even more.

https://www.instagram.com/lars.02/