Help designing a backpacking class

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Davy, you might want to touch on clothing. Watching the weight. Properties/advantages/disadvantages of materials. And the concept of not taking any "extra" clothes. Clothes are one of the areas I see people carrying way more weight than they really need to and not necessarily being as well prepared as they should be despite carrying too much.

- DAA

This is a great idea. When I was a scout my scout leader made us pack 2 EXTRA pairs of Levis for a summer backpacking trip. People usually carry way too many clothes. I will definitely talk about this. A single piece of the proper clothing will outperform 5 lbs of improper clothing.

You have kindof touched on it, but a starting point for the number of calories required. I can get by on 2.5-3k/day hiking, but my son easily needs 4.5k/day. We get to a pass and pull out an energy bar and he is cooking up mashed potatoes! I've never heard of a good way to judge a starting point. With my scout groups, us leaders just carry extra and it is never a problem getting rid of it halfway through the hike!

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Oh man, Levis. Can you say chaffing .

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Lots of chaffing and super heavy. I wouldn't consider taking 1 pair of Levis on a backpacking trip, let alone 2 extra pair.

You have kindof touched on it, but a starting point for the number of calories required. I can get by on 2.5-3k/day hiking, but my son easily needs 4.5k/day. We get to a pass and pull out an energy bar and he is cooking up mashed potatoes! I've never heard of a good way to judge a starting point. With my scout groups, us leaders just carry extra and it is never a problem getting rid of it halfway through the hike!

Awesome talking point. I will need to look into this a little more.
We start teenage boys with about 3500-5000 per day. They all carry their own food though. A few extra calories are easy to pack in by adding the right foods. Macadamia nuts can be 200ish calories per ounce and olive oil can be 240ish calories per ounce. A handful of macadamia nuts in the morning cereal and in the trail mix helps a ton. A squirt of olive oil in the ramen noodles or mountain house meal for dinner makes quite a difference.

Often you can gauge a boys calorie needs based on his pre-hike body composition. Boys that are skinny will need more calories.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have spent many a night with scouts backpacking and here are a few tips I have learned over the years:
No Levis just light nylon pants which dry out fast.
Take food out of the packages they come in and put it in ziplock bags and only take what you need. I like to put a days worth into a bigger bag and label it.
Take a light nylon stuff bag that you can put your food in and a rope to tie it up in a tree.
Never have food in the tent.
Double sock with a thin slippery sock first, thicker one second.
Break in the boots before you go.
Trekking poles help a bunch as mentioned before.
With scouts .... don't wash your plates (or pee) in the lake or where you get your water.
Don't put your tent in a wash or low spot.
On the first night I like to eat a hearty meal to regain energy. I usually make a nice tin foil dinner which I cook at home first then freeze. I seal it in a ziplock and stuff it into my sleeping bag. It usually thaws out about the time you get to camp and all you need to do is warm it up.
I like to use a light weight reflector oven to make rolls and cook fish in.
Breakfast are usually instant oatmeal, simple and easy to clean up.
For lunch I like to take some sealed tuna salad pouches and some bread and make an easy sandwich.
Lots more but running out of time....