Help! I created a monster

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Well my winter time project is hopefully coming to an end in time to hit Moab. My son and I have built up a narrowed HP 44 front from a 79 F250 and decided to make a long arm system while we were at it for his MJ. The front came out higher than I expected due to having to ride the spring brackets up a bit high on the drivers side. This had to be done because we narrowed it to stock waggy width and wanted the springs centered properly on the axle. The problem I have now is that the rear needs to be lifted to match the front and I don't know where to find lift springs for a comanche. We still need to wrap up the steering, brake lines and tighten everything up. Here are a few pictures showing my lift problem and the long arm setup.
Does anyone have some extended brake lines, waggy tie rod bar, drag link, and limitting straps they want to sell ? Are there some other springs that would give me an extra 3 inches or will I have to have some made up ?

Attachments

• mjfront.JPG
    mjfront.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 54
  • mjrear.JPG
    mjrear.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 50
  • longarm1.JPG
    longarm1.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 79
  • longarm2.JPG
    longarm2.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 60

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Dave, I think you could add some extra leafs to your stock pack and a longer shackle and get what you need for lift in the rear without increasing the spring rate much, if any.

I might have some brake hoses that would work (I bought them for an XJ D30, though. I think they'll fit the D44?).

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
Sounds like your Monster needs a Bastard... (sorry bout the language, I didn't name them... ("Bastard Pack"))

Using Chevy S-10 leaf packs w/ the OEM Jeep main leef will yield ~3.5"
-or-
Old school (~'91) Dodge Dakota leafs...

Here are some links...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=597341
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=921734
http://webpages.charter.net/laurajeff44/Liftwriteup/s10_pack_PDF.pdf
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=704199
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5832105
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/gtse...fcql0qrhe&cof=FORID:11&q=XJ+bastard+pack#1423

* Also... -_- ... I'm interested in seeing what you did about the trailing arm wedge/tubes on the front axle...

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Thanks for the links on the mixed packs. We are headed out to the junk yards this afternoon to see what we can find. My son in law has another set of comanche springs we could use so I'll have to look at those too. The problem with the comanches is that the springs are longer than XJ springs and the only lift springs I have found are thick add a leafs which I'm not fond of. The 79 F250 axle didn't have problems with the tubes and wedges but it had leaf spring mounts cast on the housing that we had to trim off a bit.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Dave, I think you could add some extra leafs to your stock pack and a longer shackle and get what you need for lift in the rear without increasing the spring rate much, if any.

I might have some brake hoses that would work (I bought them for an XJ D30, though. I think they'll fit the D44?).

I put on chevy/waggy front rotors and calipers and I'll check to see if the xj ones would work. How long are the lines you have ? and how much would you need for them ?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
very cool dave. I especially like the arms off the crossmember!

how much lift do you have up front?

are you guys still spring under in the rear?
if so you could use stock packs and covert to spring over.

Green Leader

Hey Dave is the brake lines Bryson has for you don't work. Come see me at Hose & Rubber we can make you some new ones. They aren't that exspensive we will take care of ya.

Seven

That is my question also. How did you get your rear lifted? If it is already lifted springs, then I wonder how well Bastards will work. If you have the stock springs sprung over, then I would say go for the bastard packs. I did my rear leafs with leafs from a 89 dakota. I had to rework them a couple times, the first time with 3 inch lift they were too soft I thought(I carry lots of weight). I reworked them and got 4 inches and what I thought was a good ride. I also coated them with "slip" paint which is a graphite based paint that allows them to slide on each other.

That MJ looks great with that axle

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
very cool dave. I especially like the arms off the crossmember!

how much lift do you have up front?

We ended up with about 8 1/4 inches of lift up front. I could drop it to 7 but my son doesn't want to give up his fancy ACOS adjustable bump stops that he paid a bunch for.
It is spring over in the rear but this jeep was originally a two wheel drive which I think has 1 inch lower springs. We have access to some 4x4 comanche springs and I'll use those and mix them with either his old springs or some from the junk yard to give him a thicker spring pack. It has always had soft springs in the back so adding a few will help. I'll probably have to add some longer shackles also.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
That is my question also. How did you get your rear lifted? If it is already lifted springs, then I wonder how well Bastards will work. If you have the stock springs sprung over, then I would say go for the bastard packs. I did my rear leafs with leafs from a 89 dakota. I had to rework them a couple times, the first time with 3 inch lift they were too soft I thought(I carry lots of weight). I reworked them and got 4 inches and what I thought was a good ride. I also coated them with "slip" paint which is a graphite based paint that allows them to slide on each other.

That MJ looks great with that axle

Thanks, where do you get that paint ?
I'm still not sure how much mixing s10 or Dakota springs will help on a comanche which already has spring under springs mounted on top of the axle but I'll try to make it work. Most of the articles I read are for cheap cherokee lifts which have flatter spring over springs to start with.

Seven

Thanks, where do you get that paint ?
I'm still not sure how much mixing s10 or Dakota springs will help on a comanche which already has spring under springs mounted on top of the axle but I'll try to make it work. Most of the articles I read are for cheap cherokee lifts which have flatter spring over springs to start with.

That is a good point about the MJ already having a greater arch due to being a sprung under. Other things to possible consider are making a taller spring perch(max 1.5 taller) and putting some taller shackles on. I did my bastard when I was living in St. Louis and had to mail order the paint. It cost quit a bit since aerosol paint has to stay on the ground while shipping. You can apparently find it in spray paint or buy it in a bucket. You could call some of the tractor supply stores around your area and ask if they have something similar. I was told that the "slip" paint is used a lot on tractors. I will try to find out what product I used later this afternoon when I have more time.

actually was easier to find then I thought

http://www.agspecialty.com/EZslide.htm

another one

http://cfbenderco.stores.yahoo.net/slipplate1.html

Last edited:

Green Leader

Just aheads up to the RME guys out there since Dave is in need of brake lines. When you come down make sure you say you are with RME, we have a cash acount setup for you to use, gives you an extra discount. so remember to tell who ever helps you.

PM sent Dave

rondo

rondo
Dave,
the old brake lines that i had for my dana 44s had waggy calipers that will not work with my new chev calipers. Maybe they can work for you. i'll check to see if i still have the tie rod. oh, lines are 24 inches stainless.
checker guy said go to evco house of hose for my new brakes lines, which i need 36. i guess i'll ask for dave, thx!!!

BEHERSKE

Give it to me strait.
Don't go to Evco they will either screw it up, not know what to do or charge you to much. They are a bunch of morons. Go see the dudes at Hose & Rubber like Eflegal is saying. I haven't gone back to Evco since i found Hose & Rubber.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Don't go to Evco they will either screw it up, not know what to do or charge you to much. They are a bunch of morons. Go see the dudes at Hose & Rubber like Eflegal is saying. I haven't gone back to Evco since i found Hose & Rubber.

^^what he said.^^

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Dave,
the old brake lines that i had for my dana 44s had waggy calipers that will not work with my new chev calipers. Maybe they can work for you. i'll check to see if i still have the tie rod. oh, lines are 24 inches stainless.
checker guy said go to evco house of hose for my new brakes lines, which i need 36. i guess i'll ask for dave, thx!!!

How much for the 24" hoses ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Well after a lucky Friday the 13th at the picknpull we came back with most of the parts we needed and even an xj d44 that we didn't need. I built the composite spring pack using the 4x4 comanche springs and three of the 2wd comanche springs. I was figuring that I would get a minimum of 2 inches of lift due to the thickness of the spring pack and the 1 inch higher arch of the 4x4 springs but I ended up with around 5 inches of lift :eek:. So now the back is higher than the front. Do these mixed up spring packs settle much ? or should I take one leaf out ? I was surprised to see that this extra thick spring pack still flexes nicely and with a little bit of weight comes down to a nice ride height. It looks like I will need a slip yoke eliminator for his 231 tcase, does anyone have one they would sell us ?

Last edited: