help me be smart

Houndoc

Alright, found a truck that might be just what I need (of course convincing my wife of that may be another story), but want to make sure I look at all the right potential problems.

As you probably recall, it will not be a daily driver and will be used occasionally for towing 5-6k pounds.

Here is what it is: 83 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 "rebuilt", 4.10 gears, 7" lift and 35s. 151k miles or so. I have not yet called the seller, just gave a once over in a parking lot.

My questions....
1) Is that gearing going to work well with 35s?
2) What potential problems might there be with that large of lift?
3) Any other problems typical of age/model I need to look at before buying?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Houndoc said:
Alright, found a truck that might be just what I need (of course convincing my wife of that may be another story), but want to make sure I look at all the right potential problems.

As you probably recall, it will not be a daily driver and will be used occasionally for towing 5-6k pounds.

Here is what it is: 83 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 "rebuilt", 4.10 gears, 7" lift and 35s. 151k miles or so. I have not yet called the seller, just gave a once over in a parking lot.

My questions....
1) Is that gearing going to work well with 35s?
2) What potential problems might there be with that large of lift?
3) Any other problems typical of age/model I need to look at before buying?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would pass. Those things are POS's.

IMO

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
JMHO ;)

OK for towing a small boat, but not 5-6k. That is almost what it wieghs.

"rebuilt" means what? 151K is a lot for a 360. But they are pretty torquey motors. 7" lift is huge on a full sive waggy. I have done a couple....steering becomes a problem. Also most likely a amc 20 rear axle....though the best of the 20's still a 20....might be 44's both ends too, but both a 44 or a 20 are a little light for towing duty. Does it have hubs? some were quadratrac, but not sure of the years.... Also some have an oddbal front vacum disconect right at the dif....

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I think that they are originally spring under on the axles. With that much lift, I am guessing they have gone spring over. Not necessarily bad but people seem to go CHEAP on the steering after doing that. Weird drag links, etc.

That is the first thing I would look at. If so RUN AWAY, it they went cheap on that there is more surprises on the way...

4:10s and 35s isn't bad with a V8- 4:56s would be better,

good luck,

Last edited:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I think their ok , you can get a v8 and dana 44's for pretty cheap in that package. Almost all auto's have quadratrac transfercases w an offset rear axle I prefer the 74-79 years you get dana 44s w flat top knuckles and v8 and The only downside is the duadratrac, which is hard to get parts for I heard, but mabnuals didn't come with the quadtrac.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Shawn said:
I would pass. Those things are POS's.

IMO
Let me rephrase,

The 83 came with a 360 that is a over heating gas hungry boat anchor. I have yet to see/hear one run that doen't sound like it won't make it to the next light.

The TF727 is the tranny and is a good case. This case will work with out any adapter to the Dana 300.

The front 44 is offset to the driverside and is vac operated.

The rear is a meteric 20 and is ok...

As marc mentioned, the rear springs are 54" is lenth and come SOA. 7" of lift is guna be real scary pulling 6K lbs (if the motor will let ya..)

There is a reason why there are some many of these in the scrap yard. I personally have scraped 6 of them and have never paid for one.

Houndoc

I have left a message for the seller and have not heard back yet, so the details of the rebuild, lift etc are unknown. As I get more details, shall post them.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've been where you are before and I agree with Shawn. The Wags are just kinda wheezers unless you do a fair amount of engine work (AMC 360s can run WELL, but $$$) and even then they are still a half ton tow rig at best.

I think an '87-91 Suburban would be a MUCH better choice for a tow rig SUV. OK power, parts are WAY cheap and abundant and they're pretty reliable. They're kinda big for serious off-road, but with 35" tires they're more capable than I ever expected. I've had a half ton before and it did OK, but the 3/4 ton is much better (which is a 'shameless' plug as I need to sell mine). I'm not a fan of the IFS ('92-newer), but I think they'd be OK also.

Nothing wrong with an ext. cab Ford from the middle '80s to middle '90s if that'll fit your needs. I've not got any expertise or experience with them, but they've caught my eye before. The things I don't like are the TTB front ends and that's a lot of truck for a 302 or 351. The things I like are the 460 (kinda rough on fuel) which is a good tow motor and the solid axles in the F350 (but then you'll need to find a crewcab and the price goes up a little).

Houndoc

Shawn said:
What is the sellers name? I know someone the has one that fits this discription.

Name is Ryan, truck in old yellow beast in Tooele. Sound like him? If so, give me any insight you can (I still have not heard from him).

As for the choice of vehicle, I don't want to go any thing as large as a 'burb for the off-road rig (might buy one next year for the family use and main tow vehicle).
Choice realy is between the Waggy (main advantage is 4 door) or Blazer (good deal on Bronco or Ramcharger would also work). Advantage I see for the Blazer is you can run larger tires with less added lift, which does make a better/safer truck for the limited towing it would do. Wouldn't run from the right deal on a Scout for that matter.

ALF

SURE!?
Blazer would be a cool on/offroad rig ;) its what i'm building. But I'm not sure I would want to tow 5-6k with one they are awful short and if built to flex won't be good for a tow rig. If you're planning on towing I agree with Bryson buy a Burb I've seen some killer offroad Burbs whove kept up with everything on the trails :eek:

Houndoc

ALF said:
Blazer would be a cool on/offroad rig ;) its what i'm building. But I'm not sure I would want to tow 5-6k with one they are awful short and if built to flex won't be good for a tow rig. If you're planning on towing I agree with Bryson buy a Burb I've seen some killer offroad Burbs whove kept up with everything on the trails :eek:

Am leaning more and more towards Blazer/Ramcharger etc than the Jeep. Asking some full-size jeep guys I have been surprised the ammount of lift and trimming it takes to even run 33s on a waggy.

Not sure of the Burb, simple due to turning radius as much as anything. And I would tow 1-2 times a year is all.

Guess I keep looking, thinking and saving my pennies.

Mr.Chevy

I think that the blazer is a good on/off road truck. I have one (that is for sale :greg: ) that only has 4in lift and has 33's. I have towed stuff with it befor and it did ok not the best but it did the job. I drive the thing to the trail and then drive it home. If you do go with the blazer look for a 87-91. They came with TBI and had the solid front axel in them. Parts are cheap and they are still easy to work on. :)

Crinco

IMHO....
Towing with a vehicle that has a soft suspension made for off-roading can be a dangerous thing. Especially when talking about towing equal weight or more weight. Tow vehicles need a firm suspension that will not let the item being towed control (push around) the vehicle doing the towing. Off-road susensions ( the good ones ) ane not firm! You only have to tow once to have a serious accident.
You might concider getting a "cheap" vehicle for off-roading and get ( buy, rent, steal, or barrow) a good tow vehicle for those "couple times a year" towing events.
If you really do want to combine both tasks into one vehicle, then consider that the longer and wider the tow rig the more stable it is towing.
Keep you and your family safe, then have fun doing it.
Chris R.

Houndoc

Crinco said:
IMHO....
You might concider getting a "cheap" vehicle for off-roading and get ( buy, rent, steal, or barrow) a good tow vehicle for those "couple times a year" towing events.
If you really do want to combine both tasks into one vehicle, then consider that the longer and wider the tow rig the more stable it is towing.
Keep you and your family safe, then have fun doing it.
Chris R.

The issue is, the towing/off-road will be same trip (hunting) thus two vehicle for seperate purposes does not work. For the rest of the towing over the year, a deferent vehicle will be used.....of course one option is to hunt out of a fairly new Suburban (what I plan to buy for most towing) but I doubt my wife will really go for that.

I do think a Blazer-type with modest (4") lift would be a safer tow choice than the waggy this thread started out about, so I will look more in that direction.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Houndoc said:

Didja call Russ at Amos Rents in Salt Lake? He's got a '80s Blazer with a lift he'd like to sell.

Here's the details
It's an '83.
350/4 speed/208
Runs real good
It has a 44 in front, with all new
bearings/seals/ujoints/ball studs
New Skyjacker Softride springs and shocks
New exhaust
Interior is in real good shape
Half-cab
Only thing wrong is a little rust, and flakey GM paint.
I have a tailgate with hardware and a real nice hood I would toss in.
We have been asking 2200, butt.....cash talks.
I can say it's a nice rig, he has owned it fer a long time. He has too many vehicles and is thinning the herd. I'll get you a phone number if you're interested.