help me brainstorm what to get for my next vehicle

Bart

I don't mind the DMV and usually go to the Provo office. With anything that is tricky and 4x4 related I'll go to the Point of the Mountain.

sixstringsteve

I love the dmv in Draper. I think I worry that I'll end up in a situation like Nate, where you've got a title that's ruined because the employee didn't know the regs. That almost happened to me when I converted my dirt bike to a street bike. I've sold enough vehicles to know what's needed, and I always come prepared, but I get nervous I may run into someone who gets confused and sends me away to get more paperwork that I don't need. I think Kiel nailed it when he said it's because they're the only ones who can grant what we need and we're at their mercy 100%. And trying to get things fixed once they've been messed up is a major pain. That being said, 90% of my DMV experiences have been pleasant. I just hope I don't hit one of those 10% days.

airmanwilliams

Taking my paperwork in a couple months ago to the provo dmv to get the sidekick reregistered caused me ALOT of anxiety. registration was up August of 2013 but since the motor was bad I didnt get to reregister it and let it run out, upon going in and reregistering it after the motor was put in they said it wasnt up in august but october and then that it had 2 dates in the computer and started acting like I was running a chop shop and was scamming them. UGH. I am to the point of almost giving my father the title and registering it and our POS Neon with their home in Oregon so I dont need to deal with these money sucking Utah polititions anymore with our vehicles.

rholbrook

I find the best thing when going to the DMV to have is the same thing to have when you get pulled over by the cops and thats a good attitude. I go in with a good attitude and ask how their hectic day has been dealing with the public and after a little chit chat I am out of there in no time. I have zero issues in Davis County.

D

Deleted member 12904

I find the best thing when going to the DMV to have is the same thing to have when you get pulled over by the cops and thats a good attitude. I go in with a good attitude and ask how their hectic day has been dealing with the public and after a little chit chat I am out of there in no time. I have zero issues in Davis County.

We actually have somewhat of the same approach. I act the same as when I get pulled over by the cops. I hand them the paperwork they are required to see by law. Keep my answers short, one word if possible and say as little as possible and usually not even that.

sixstringsteve

I usually try to chat with them and start a conversation, but I think your approach is better. I don't think these guys picked their job because they're the sociable, outgoing type. I probably just annoy them.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The comparison to a LEO is pretty funny. They both have the ability to absolutely screw you over and it all depends on the level of knowledge and attitude they have at that moment.

sixstringsteve

They both have the ability to absolutely screw you over and it all depends on the level of knowledge and attitude they have at that moment.

I'll add that it can also depend on the knowledge and attitude you have when you go in. Fortunately I knew the process better than the employee there so I felt comfortable pushing back and saying "No, i know I've got all the required paperwork."

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'll add that it can also depend on the knowledge and attitude you have when you go in. Fortunately I knew the process better than the employee there so I felt comfortable pushing back and saying "No, i know I've got all the required paperwork."

Unless the process changes like it did for me. I went in with all the paperwork to change my title like they have in the past. Not one employee understood the process so they went along with it. Then the supervisor got back from lunch and told them "oh, we're not supposed to do it that way anymore."
Unfortunately I've been in their shoes before, having not been empowered and given all the tools to be successful... Still a terrible situation though.