help me decide which camera to buy

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
The 60D has the same sensor as the t3i virtually same image quality. The 60d is more rugged, and also has a much longer shutter life count, 60d also had a display on top of the camera for quick settings adjustment.

If your interested In learning more on how to really utilize that t3i I am now starting to teach photography one on one. If that interests you I'd be glad to help.

801-425-8437

Fell free to text!

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Was that the image stabilized version ?
I thought about it when I bought mine, but just couldn't get myself to spend and additional $1000 to get it...

The is version of the 70-200 plus the 2.8 II.

Unless your using a tripod getting a sharp images when zoomed In at 200 is practically insane hard when handholding... If your braced, or using a tripod you don't need the IS. I think the 70-200mm 2.8 IS II L is one of the most gorgeously image producing lenses on the planet!! But that 2200-2500 price tag is hefty!!

I've owned several lenses, but right now I own a16-35 2.8 2.8 II L as I shoot landscape for the most part! I love wide and sharp!!

I have access to quite a few high end lenses, my brother in law is a fantastic wedding photographer, so I borrow lenses often. Also, for most RSL games I rent a 70-200 from Pixels in sandy.

sixstringsteve

Ok, I've had my T3i for almost 3 months. It's great for my still photo needs. I'm still learning how to use it, and I really like the creative auto settings where I change the apeture and shutter speed and it takes care of the rest. I'm not talented enough to do it all manually.

That being said, I'm starting to get more into videography. My little GoPro is great, but I'd like to get into it a bit more. So, does anyone have any recommendations on which camera will be best for video? My T3i takes 1080p digital video, and it looks great, but the continual AF is a bit lacking. It's slow, and it blurs the image as it searches to focus. I'm willing to spend a bit more for something that I can film with. I'm a total noob now, but I'd like to get to the point where my equipment isn't limiting me.

sixstringsteve

Maybe if I'm trying to use AF on a DSLR, then I'm missing the point of a DSLR. I just have a tough time knowing if the image is in focus. I'd hate to film a shoot and go home to find that it was all out of focus.

sixstringsteve

as I read, it sounds like I need to learn to do MF to get good DSLR videos. It sounds like my current camera will do the trick 'till I actually get good at filming.

DAA

Most of the cheap(er) Canon lenses have a really short MF throw, with too freely moving rings, which makes them hard to MF smoothly (small movements = large focus adjustments). Also, most still photo zoom lenses don't maintain focus across the zoom range either, which further complicates matters. There are only a very few Canon lenses that maintain focus while changing focal length and they are pretty expensive. Not saying a good smooth MF can't be done with the kit lens, but it will take far more skill than it would with a lens meant for such work. Which, actually, pretty much no SLR lenses were actually "meant" for video. But the better (more expensive) lenses have MUCH smoother MF than the cheap ones.

I haven't ever bothered trying to do anything more than super crude fast and dirty video clips with my 60D. Never even bothered trying to MF it for video. But I use MF all the time trying to photograph wildlife. My 18-135 kit lens and my 55-250 EFS are both a total PITA to MF with. But my Sigma 150-500 (which was still cheap by Canon standards at about 1 kilobuck...) seems butter smooth and easy by comparison. It just has a longer throw (less adjustment per roation of the ring) and a way smoother feel to the MF ring.

- DAA

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I really like the free part...

There are a few free things that I like so much I donate. (hence the gear by my user name)
I have not tried this one yet.