Help me find the happy medium....

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I need to find a rig for camping and family fun, as well as light wheeling (trails 5-6 and down) I have a family of 5 so if it replacece my DD it needs to seat 5+. I also want something more family friendly when needed. I am big on toyotas but not closed minded if everything else works. My wife is going back to school to get a masters degree. I would rather sell my buggy to offset the cost then have yet another monthly payment... (trying to be an adult)

My current thoughts are a rig with one locker minimum, 33's-35's hopefully low COG to make it easy to get in-out of. seats 5+. I am mechanically capable for regears/lockers/fab etc to help keeps costs reasonable.

I am looking for a cheap budget wheeler and keep my DD or replace my DD and have a solid weekend warrior. So budget is 3k$-8k$ depending on that.....

What do you see as a great option? My current thoughts

80's 4runner,can find them cheap, pretty cheap to build,simple to work on, compact interior.

FZJ80 seats 7, plenty of space,factory lockers, but is full size, problem on the trail? Not a fan of the 4.5l. 3fe a better engine?

FJ60 large in side, classic old school toyota, great expo/wheeling rig, again full size a problem?

03-09 4Runner, has optional 3rd row, nicer newer vehicle.

01-04 4door Tacoma, little small, but can fit 5 if needed, better size for trails. Still expensive for what you get...

What is your thoughts and experience? Would love some help and ideas. I feel like My mind is going in circles.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Not much input other than I'd never plan to haul 5 in a 1st gen Tacoma. I've had one and it's possible, but not fun. Also you'd never fit 5 people's things in the bed with you

gorillaxj

That is true on bed space. I have just always loved the 4door taco I didn't want to not mention it. There is no way 3 car seats would fit....

The 1st gen 4runner is only in the mix as I could do it cheap enough to not need it to replace my DD so it would only be a fun trip vehicle/light wheeling vehicle. And my DD could do camping/dirt road adventures with the family. It's a 2003 4door F150 with a lift, 33's with 4.56 gears. (I thought about a long travel IFS kit and an ARB for best of both worlds but idk about full sized rigs with 140" ish wheel base)

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
How old are your kids? Fitting 3 little ones in a back seat is hard with car seats, but it gets easier when they outgrow the car seats. But then it gets hard again when they hit the teen years and are basically adult sized.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Second generation Isuzu Trooper. Seats five, you can get a third row if you want. As or more capable than an 80-series Land Cruiser out of the box. Mostly AISIN components (same as a Toyota), so reliable as hell. Dirt cheap to buy and maintain. I've had mine for five and a half years, driven it hard, and still love it. Hands down the best rig you can get for the money.

Last edited:

gorillaxj

5yr old, 2yr old, 9 month old.

The 5 year old is just at the point to where camping/exploring is becoming interesting and easygoing. Which is why I am left feeling maybe 2 rigs are better (what are the chances I am taking my 9 month old or 2 year old....) but also unnecessary to have two vehicles if it's not a trailered crawler. Mainly want to go run some overland, some Moab, hole in the rock, rubicon, and the like.

I haven't thought about a trooper, I'll look a bit into them.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I haven't thought about a trooper, I'll look a bit into them.

Planet Isuzoo is the best resource for Trooper info on the web. As I said before, I've had mine for five and a half years, taken it on thousands of miles of dirt roads, trails in Moab from Hells Revenge on down the line. Never had an issue. The vehicle just works. They are very well built, they sold well to soccer moms in the 90's; so they are relatively plentiful out there. But they were never really recognized as off road vehicles, so few have been abused like comparable Toyota's.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I wouldn't rule out a 03-05 Lexus GX 470. You would have to put a locker in, and 35's are expensive to make fit, but 33's aren't a problem with an OME lift kit. I have enjoyed my GX and it will seat 8 (although the 3rd row is tight for large people). They can be had for around $8k.

Tonkaman

I wouldn't rule out a 03-05 Lexus GX 470. You would have to put a locker in, and 35's are expensive to make fit, but 33's aren't a problem with an OME lift kit. I have enjoyed my GX and it will seat 8 (although the 3rd row is tight for large people). They can be had for around $8k.

I love that rig^^^

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I was trying to make my buggy more comfy as an exploration rig to where I found myself turning my head when a nicely setup taco would mosey by.
( Bryson - take this out of context as much as you like :greg: )

Houndoc

1st gen durango or 4 door Dakota. Good motor options. Small enough for trails but still seat 5-7 people.

I would second that. Most any of the other rigs get very tight with car seats all having to fit on one row.

But if you want standard 5 seater, consider Montero Sport. 2" O.M.E. lift fits 33s (I found that out, even thought even on Montero Sport forum everyone said they didn't). After market locker options aren't abundant, but are out there. Make sure to get the 3.5L, however.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have been really happy with the FZJ80 I bought from you. :p The 1FZ-FE is underpowered, but I bet a 3FE would be even more of a turd. I have wanted to swap in a V8, but I'm pretty much resigned to keeping it the way it is (reliable) and adding fuel capacity instead.

That doesn't help you with your decision really though. :)

RogueJeepr

Here!
Dont overlook the 2nd gen liberty's (KK). Rides well and seats adults in the back.
Great exploration rig.
OR maybe the Durango for the 3rd row in the back.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
We LOVED the grand cherokee WJ we had (minus death wobble issues). Very capable, cheap, large enough for 5, very smooth on rough roads.

wj.jpgwj2.jpg

gorillaxj

Lots of good ideas!

I wouldn't rule out a 03-05 Lexus GX 470. You would have to put a locker in, and 35's are expensive to to make fit, but 33's aren't a problem with an OME lift kit. I have enjoyed my GX and it will seat 8 (although the 3rd row is tight for large people). They can be had for around $8k.

This is the wife's choice of vehicle. Maybe I need one and she can do somthing else lol I have seen and awesome one on 33's and loved it.

I was trying to make my buggy more comfy as an exploration rig to where I found myself turning my head when a nicely setup taco would mosey by.
( Bryson - take this out of context as much as you like :greg: )

That's exactly where I am at! :/ I also miss driving my modified rig on the road... I think I need 7-8 Vehicles in order to be happy lol.

I check out tacos driving by also no worries! ;)

I have been really happy with the FZJ80 I bought from you. :p The 1FZ-FE is underpowered, but I bet a 3FE would be even more of a turd. I have wanted to swap in a V8, but I'm pretty much resigned to keeping it the way it is (reliable) and adding fuel capacity instead.

That doesn't help you with your decision really though. :)

Haha I really regret that but glad it's working out for you! This is exactly why I bought it and then thought "I am not up for another project right now"

Should have waited a year lol

33's are if enough, 35's ideal if able to keep it low enough (unlikely) IFS is ok as well. I would love to try a long travel kit (if reasonably priced but reliability is #1

Last edited: