Help Repeal Vehicle Safety Inspections in Utah

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
At $40 a stop, do you not think there aren't cops assigned to do this very task?

No LEO wants the paperwork if they can avoid it.

I think I'd take a rejection over a ticket. The hassle will still be there, since you have to go through the emission test. And the emission test is a federal mandate that will never go away, no matter how much we may wish it. If we ditch the emission testing, the state will lose all federal funding. Once we see an end to the "Yellow" and Red" air quality days, then we would stand a chance of getting rid of it. I don't see that ever happening in this valley.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
And the emission test is a federal mandate that will never go away, no matter how much we may wish it. If we ditch the emission testing, the state will lose all federal funding. Once we see an end to the "Yellow" and Red" air quality days, then we would stand a chance of getting rid of it. I don't see that ever happening in this valley.

Its not Federally mandated. Its county by county in Utah. In some states I understand its city by city.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm torn. I think its fair to say that those of us who actively participate in fixing, modifying and repairing our vehicles as a 'hobby' are far more in tune with their vehicles and safe operation than the other 95% of cars on the road. I've had customers swing by to buy tie rod ends after they failed the safety, or knuckle bearing kits... their vehicles were in fact unsafe and it did take the failure notice to fix that. While those scenario's are again unlikely amongst hobby auto users such as ourselves, I'd bet you find them far more common for the masses of people that just drive their car and don't do preventative maintenance until they are forced too in the safety process. That said, its likely impossible to determine how any of these safety issues result in actual accidents with factual numbers.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It's my understanding the Colorado, Idaho and Wyoming also don't require safety inspection.

Edit: apparently Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona don't either. None of our neighboring states do.

gahi

^^ yup, no safety inspection in CO. Where I lived there were no emissions so you just sent in your registration by mail, and new tags came a week later. Super easy.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
It's my understanding the Colorado, Idaho and Wyoming also don't require safety inspection.

Edit: apparently Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona don't either. None of our neighboring states do.

Only 18 states and DC require them:

Delaware
District of Colombia
Hawaii
Louisiana
Maine
Massachusetts
Mississippi
Missouri
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You might want to research the clean air act of 1970. It's mandated by the EPA, and in Utah's non-atainment areas it's administered by the counties.

Its not Federally mandated. Its county by county in Utah. In some states I understand its city by city.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
You might want to research the clean air act of 1970. It's mandated by the EPA, and in Utah's non-atainment areas it's administered by the counties.

The EPA maintains a standard that the states are expected to meet. Its up to the states to figure out how to get there. I believe that the 10th Amendment would prevent the EPA from trying to force the states to enforce a Federal testing regime. But thats just my naive speculation.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
The EPA maintains a standard that the states are expected to meet. Its up to the states to figure out how to get there. I believe that the 10th Amendment would prevent the EPA from trying to force the states to enforce a Federal testing regime. But thats just my naive speculation.

Dude, I can't believe you evoked the 10th Amendment.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
first off, i didnt read every word of this enture thread. but here's my stance: i'm far less concerned about the cars on the road than i am about the people driving them. I get cut off or run off the road on an almost daily basis. These cars arent rusted out rats nests that are doing it; theyre vehicles that are perfectly safe and reliable cars. They dont have a massive crack in the windshield, and the door handles probably all work. But its being driven by a soccer mom who's on the phone, yelling at her 19 kids, and painting her fingernails, while she obliviously drifts from one lane to another. And then she flips me the bird when i honk at her to remind her that shes driving a 2 ton wrecking ball down the 15. Safety inspections didnt keep her off the road. Neither do imissions.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
I don't mind somebody making sure my brakes work and my wheels aren't about to fall off. I strongly object to being rejected for a hairline crack in the side of my blinker lens, or for tires that stick out a millimeter too far, or for having "wheel spacers" that aren't wheel spacers, or for a rock chip that I didn't even notice until Pimpleface McHormone got out his magnifying glass.

Screw safety inspections.

Or, your speedometer is "bouncing" (fluctuating +/- 2 or 3 mph I STILL KNOW IF I'M SPEEDING), or "need mudflaps" on a stock height, stock wheelsize vehicle that was not supplied with them from the factory, or turn signal switch not self canceling, I could go on and on.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
first off, i didnt read every word of this enture thread. but here's my stance: i'm far less concerned about the cars on the road than i am about the people driving them. I get cut off or run off the road on an almost daily basis. These cars arent rusted out rats nests that are doing it; theyre vehicles that are perfectly safe and reliable cars. They dont have a massive crack in the windshield, and the door handles probably all work. But its being driven by a soccer mom who's on the phone, yelling at her 19 kids, and painting her fingernails, while she obliviously drifts from one lane to another. And then she flips me the bird when i honk at her to remind her that shes driving a 2 ton wrecking ball down the 15. Safety inspections didnt keep her off the road. Neither do imissions.

This has more to do with unchecked CA immigration. Stop the madness.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
No that has more to do with self centered little "princess'" that feel priveled enough to own the damn road and can't believe you feel entitled to it too. And buttheads in big gay trucks that never see dirt feeling good about their substitute manhood and flexing it your face. The unchecked immigration is a very tiny part of it