Jeep Helping a friend with a 48 CJ

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I have a friend that is taking two 48 CJs and making one good one. He has both down to the frame and wanted some ideas on what to do with the axles. The axles that are in these are narrow and are of course drum brakes. He would like to get rid of the closed knuckle front axle and the easiest way I can see to take care of it would be to find a narrow track CJ front Dana 30. He is going to keep the stock motor and isn't going to lift it so going to beefier axles isn't necessary. Have any of you that have the old CJs done the swap ? Have any of you gone to beefier axles and happen to have your old CJ front axles laying around that you want to get rid of ? When he is done he will have lots of spare parts to trade or sell.
He would also like to get rid of the under the driver seat gas tank. I would think that a gas tank from a Jeepster would fit between the 29 inch wide frame behind the rear axle ?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have an 85 CJ7 that has the wide track axles I am in the process of moving up to wagoneer 44's. The cj has a dana 30 front and 44 in the rear currently. Not sure if this would work for your narrow track cj.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Just do what the samurai guys do and put some Toyota axles under it....

That ought to get the jeep purists going 😄
The moderators on a certain Willys page will no longer approve anything I post because it is so far from original...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I will be taking some CJ axles out soonish, it's true. Lemme know if you want to talk about that haha

My pal Dwayne had some Toyota axles under his CJ, worked pretty well and was pretty happy with them over the years. And like Carl said, it did make the Jeep AND Toyota guys mad :rofl:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I will be taking some CJ axles out soonish, it's true. Lemme know if you want to talk about that haha

My pal Dwayne had some Toyota axles under his CJ, worked pretty well and was pretty happy with them over the years. And like Carl said, it did make the Jeep AND Toyota guys mad :rofl:
What year of CJ ? narrow track or wide track ?