Henry Mountains trail beta?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thinking about heading into the Henry Mountains to do some exploring and spend the night. I have never been up there, any suggestions on excellent camp sites, neat roads and amazing view points? Looking at the map, I'm thinking about starting on the East side, working my way West... probably by way of Bull Creek Pass.

Any other suggestions?

DAA

Greg, I think Bull Pass will "probably" be open, but it might still be snowed in. I haven't driven by there for over three weeks now, but the higher elevations were all still solid snow cap then.

If it's open all the way around, I'd just do the loop - go up Bull Creek and choose your direction at the fork, then keep going till you get back to where you started. Can easily be done in half a day. That's with plenty of stopping. Or head up Crescent Creek and do the same thing - choose your direction at the fork and keep going all the way around.

Campsites... Up high, where I like to be in the Henry's, good campsites are slim and grim. It's just so steep, not many flat places you can pull off. I like Nasty Flat on the west side of Mt. Ellen. By dropping down on any of the many side roads your camping opportunities open up substantially though - basically anywhere that suits you. On any of the sides. If you don't mind developed campgrounds (I mostly avoid them...), you have Lonesome Beaver not too far below Bull Creek Pass. Starr Springs is a long way from there, on the lower reaches of Mt. Hillers on the south side - I actually stayed there about two months ago (first time in a campground in as long as I can remember...), nice enough as developed campgrounds go, I guess. It's a lot lower than Lonesome Beaver though, and a lot further from Mt. Ellen, which is where I prefer to spend my time up there.

Go explore! See what you can see! :D

Worst case, you get snow blocked from the high country and have to circle around and do a lot of exploring in the lower elevations, but that's totally cool too, especially now, before it gets too hot.

- DAA

Greg

Admin
I appreciate your input Dave! Exploring is the plan, if the pass is still snowed in, no biggie! The La Sals have been open for a few weeks now, I would think they're the most comparable to the Henry's, so I'm hoping they're passable as well. We will see, you hit the nail on the head.... if we can't get over them, I have no problem going around. I just want to spend some time seeing whats over the next hill. ;)

I kind of figured the camping situation would be minimal up high, hopefully we can find something decent that has some nice elevation & views. I'd prefer undeveloped camping, but if it's nice and quiet and there aren't many other campers, it may work.

The weather will be ideal for that area, IMO. I'm hoping for a great trip.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
When we were in the area a few weeks back we camped at the Starr Ranch campground. It was nice and there was plenty of hiking in the area. Its down low if the upper camping spots are snowed in.

Greg

Admin
We just went through there a couple weeks ago and the snow was pretty high up, I bet you will be good with the exception of a few possible drifts.

Thanks for the updated info Tracy! I'll take the shovel, just in case.

Taking the GMC Greg? or the Runner

The 4Runner, the GMC still isn't quite trail-ready.

When we were in the area a few weeks back we camped at the Starr Ranch campground. It was nice and there was plenty of hiking in the area. Its down low if the upper camping spots are snowed in.

Great info Dave, thanks. We'll keep it in mind, I appreciate it.