HITR run this spring?

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
is there any one that is planning to run the HITR trail this spring that has not posted it in the upcoming trips yet? me and wife want to run this with some people that know the area.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
HOTR? Perhaps HITR?

Assuming HITR, a group from ExpeditionUtah are doing the HITR in April but I'm pretty sure the trail leaders group limit is full and there is a waiting list? Alternatively you might be able to get on the trip for the Easter Jeep Safari led run? I'd assume it would be full at this point but not certain?

Caleb

I've thought about going down for a round two on my motorcycle, but I'm planning an in and out in one day on my bike. If that was even possible in a 4wd, that would make for a LONG day.

rholbrook

Depending on when this is, I may want to bring the WR and we will make Jaxon drive the support jeep, or, we can go in and out the same day. We could literally ride it in a few hours if we wanted.

I've thought about going down for a round two on my motorcycle, but I'm planning an in and out in one day on my bike. If that was even possible in a 4wd, that would make for a LONG day.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
HOTR? Perhaps HITR?

Assuming HITR, a group from ExpeditionUtah are doing the HITR in April but I'm pretty sure the trail leaders group limit is full and there is a waiting list? Alternatively you might be able to get on the trip for the Easter Jeep Safari led run? I'd assume it would be full at this point but not certain?

Yeah Hitr fixed the spelling

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We could literally ride it in a few hours if we wanted.

I have done in and out several times on bikes and to get to the end of the trail overlooking Cottonwood and back is a minimum of 6 hours unless you are deadheading in and out. Throw into that different experience and fitness levels of riders and it can easily approaach 8 hours.

I would be up for doing either a motorcycle or Jeep trip in.

sixstringsteve

I'm going with Kurt and Expedition Utah in April. Frenchie will be leading the way. I'm really looking forward to it.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd be interested in being a part of a trip, in the 4x4. I know the trail and would be willing to assist with leading. It should be a 3 day trip, so the group isn't rushed. Fri-Sun would be good.

We should set some guidelines, max number of vehicles (6 is plenty IMO), minimum tire size (33's, IMO), one locker is preferred, recovery equipment mandatory. Vehicle must be in good running shape and up on maintenance.

Another thing to consider is that the Ferry is down for repair until Late Spring, not sure what the exact date is that's open again.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
I'd be interested in being a part of a trip, in the 4x4. I know the trail and would be willing to assist with leading. It should be a 3 day trip, so the group isn't rushed. Fri-Sun would be good.

We should set some guidelines, max number of vehicles (6 is plenty IMO), minimum tire size (33's, IMO), one locker is preferred, recovery equipment mandatory. Vehicle must be in good running shape and up on maintenance.

Another thing to consider is that the Ferry is down for repair until Late Spring, not sure what the exact date is that's open again.

ok this is sounding good, i just got a titan with 285's and it has the rear locker. any body have any susgestions for dates?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
ok this is sounding good, i just got a titan with 285's and it has the rear locker. any body have any susgestions for dates?

I'd suggest rock sliders, too, especially if it's not very tall. There are a handful of steep dropoffs and ledges that will grab for any sheetmetal that's exposed.

I'd say April, since the ferry should be opened and running at that point, even if it's a little late. April is also getting into EJS, which the dates for that are April 16th - 24th, 2011. Lets find out when the Expedition Utah guys are running it and pick a different weekend.

I'm not super knowledgeable on the trail and history, but I've ran the trail before and feel comfortable with HELPING lead. I'd suggest that everyone that wants to go, do their own research on the trail, get a up to date GPS route and spend some time with the map figuring out where we'll be.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
I'd suggest rock sliders, too, especially if it's not very tall. There are a handful of steep dropoffs and ledges that will grab for any sheetmetal that's exposed.

I'd say April, since the ferry should be opened and running at that point, even if it's a little late. April is also getting into EJS, which the dates for that are April 16th - 24th, 2011. Lets find out when the Expedition Utah guys are running it and pick a different weekend.

I'm not super knowledgeable on the trail and history, but I've ran the trail before and feel comfortable with HELPING lead. I'd suggest that everyone that wants to go, do their own research on the trail, get a up to date GPS route and spend some time with the map figuring out where we'll be.

yeah i was thinking the same thing about sliders. the only thing that i know about the trail is what i have read on this sight, so i will be doing a lot of research. unfortunatly i dont a gps unit.

DAA

Chances are, I won't be able to make this. Too many irons in the fire for April already. So, don't reserve a spot for me. But, I'd like to! So, I'll keep an eye on it and if things work out to where I can swing it and there is a spot open?

- DAA

Caleb

Depending on when this is, I may want to bring the WR and we will make Jaxon drive the support jeep, or, we can go in and out the same day. We could literally ride it in a few hours if we wanted.
What I was thinking is drive a good distance in (maybe ~15 miles) in my truck with trailer in tow. Setup a base camp and then do an in and out in a day. That way I'd only be worried about gear for a days worth of riding. I haven't really thought about dates at all, or even if it will be this spring :D. This is just something I'd like to attempt again now that I've gotten better on the bike and I have a more appropriate bike :p

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
FYI. Hole-in-the-Rock is NOT being offered at the EJS this year. Only at the Labor Day event.

Hmmm, wonder if they didn't have enough interest to run it during EJS? I knew Frenchie wasn't leading it but I figured they had someone else lined up and I haven't really looked through the EJS Newspaper yet.

Fwiw the ExpeditionUtah.com trip is April 9-12th.

To wet your appetites in the meantime, there are some great books on the HITR that will really give you some insight of the San Juan Mission. Here are the ones I have enjoyed:

A Guide to Utah's Hole-In-The-Rock Trail - Stewart Aitchison
Hole in the Rock - David E. Miller
Incredible Passage: Through the Hole-in-the-Rock - Lee Reay
Pioneer (Magazine): The Incredible Saga of the Hole-In-The-Rock - 2004 Volume 51, Number 4
The Undaunted: The Miracle of the Hole-in-the-Rock Pioneers - Gerald Lund

Miller's 'Hole in the Rock' is the best resource imo but the others are great too. Keep in mind 'The Undaunted' is historical fiction, ie the author takes a rear situation, real lore and stories and fills in all the blanks. Many of the names and situations are real but the backstory and drama are 100% fictitious so while it will wet your appetite to head down there, it won't detail much in the way of facts for example.

As for route planning, EU member Alex put this together, its a phenomenal resource and has the updated map showing the new route:
http://www.expeditionutah.com/featured-trails/hole-in-the-rock-4x4-trail/

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I would really be interested in a later trip. Wouldn't be able to make the ExpeditionUtah.com trip anyway. I had actually never even read about HITR and it looks amazing.

The problem is I think I would have to choose between the RME BBQ or doing HITR since it would be a six or seven hour drive in the TJ. I really do want to get into some expedition wheeling.

If a later trip does come to fuition I would love to try and talk the wife into letting me take off for a few days.