ho-lee jesus 18 kids murdered in elementary school massacre

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but in Utah one can ccw At public schools. I carry every day to UVU, as do a few of my classmates. I had one class last fall where there were at least three of us that carried. This semester, one of my teachers carried. We talked carry guns on a few occasions.

And I carry at every function we attend at my son's elementary school.

You may want to check on that last part about carrying in an elementary school before you get in deep poo, but yes, you can carry at most Utah universities.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You may want to check on that last part about carrying in an elementary school before you get in deep poo, but yes, you can carry at most Utah universities.

You should study up before giving more advice on this subject. With a Utah CFP, you can concealed carry and open carry at any state sponsored facilities except mental facilities, courts, and secured areas like airports. The only elementary school that could prevent you from this would be a privately owned school.
http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=99

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
This is definitely a tragedy, but what the result will be is more gun control laws/rules. Stories like this make me want to get a concealed even more, but in places like schools, you still cant have them in the premises, so it is useless. I personally think that teachers should be allowed to be able to have a concealed (if they go through the classes) in the classroom. They could possibly prevent or hinder tragedies like this.

I may have missed it, but I did not see a post correcting your statement about carrying in/around schools. Utah allows CFP holders to conceal carry, as well as openly carry a loaded firearm in/on school premises; UT CFP exempts the holder from the 'Gun Free School Zone'. The exception being with private schools, who have the right to ban firearms. I do believe that it is not illegal for you to carry at a private school that has banned firearms, but you will be asked to leave/comply, or have your membership to that school jeapardized (colleges/etc).

In Utah, you cannot carry in Federally owned buildings (USPS included), LDS buildings or worship and BYU property, court buildings State or Federal, or secured areas at airports.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
The more I read about the use of handguns vs bear mace in the back-country, I would think that bear mace would be very a effective tool for a teacher to have in situations like this. Bear mace has a wider path with instant results, and even if a student were close enough to the perpetrator to get sprayed in the process they would be fine after a few hours. A nervous woman(I say woman because the majority of teachers are women) holding a handgun has a very small margin of error when holding one to hit their target, thus increasing the chances of a stray bullet injuring a student. The bear mace would be a logical alternative. As for more/tighter "gun control", it will not help much because most of the guns used in school shootings were not attained legally in the first place.

Bad idea IMO, as everyone in the room would get hit with overspray/cloud of spray.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am not positive, but I did have a fairly decent source tell me that Utah has a law that prevents guns within a thousand feet of any public school. He said no ever gets in trouble for this law an it isn't really ever inforced because it is ridiculous. People that live next to schools or someone that has been hunting can't pick up there kids. He did say that while it is ignored it could get a teacher in trouble for carrying.

I would really like to know if this is true. I am afraid to ask at my district office because I don't want to be branded as "the fanatic". The official policy of many school districts is that it is out of the scope of employment. They leave that open to interpretation so they can review each situation individually.

So a teacher may or may not be able to legally carry at school. The teacher can be fired for doing so if it is "beyond the scope of employment". I wish I knew.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I am not positive, but I did have a fairly decent source tell me that Utah has a law that prevents guns within a thousand feet of any public school. He said no ever gets in trouble for this law an it isn't really ever inforced because it is ridiculous. People that live next to schools or someone that has been hunting can't pick up there kids. He did say that while it is ignored it could get a teacher in trouble for carrying.

I would really like to know if this is true. I am afraid to ask at my district office because I don't want to be branded as "the fanatic". The official policy of many school districts is that it is out of the scope of employment. They leave that open to interpretation so they can review each situation individually.

So a teacher may or may not be able to legally carry at school. The teacher can be fired for doing so if it is "beyond the scope of employment". I wish I knew.

I hope there isnt a 1000 foot radius as I live across the street from an Elm school...

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Obtaining a Utah CFP exempts you from the Gun Free School Zone... Are my posts invisible; wtf? Without the CFP, you are not allowed to have a firearm within 1,'000ft of a school. It is a ridiculous law, as I used to break the law by carrying my firearm from car to my home when I didn't have a CFP. You can carry in your car without need of a CFP, but once inside that 1,000ft radius you're now breaking the law even if you live inside that radius. It is a stupid law if you ask me, because it cannot be enforced. Someone looking to cause mayhem does not give two suits about the GFSZ laws.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I am not sure of the law but , i talked to another teacher today and he carries in school also. Plus he said that he is allowed to do so. Just repeating what iam told.

Interesting fact. In denver when the theater was attacked and all of those people were shot. There was between 20-30 people carring that night. Have a weapon on your person is no good if you are not willing to use it to save your life or the life of others around you.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Ogre Palowakski;882109 Huckabee says this happened because we removed god from our schools [URL said:
http://gawker.com/5968633/mike-huckabee-says-conn-shooting-happened-because-we-removed-god-from-our-schools[/URL]

:rolleyes:

That rubs me the wrong way big time. According to that logic, God let this happen because he wasn't "allowed" there. In what sane world would you worship a being that would "allow" that? Those people have their heads screwed on backwards. Nobody in their right mind would think that's true.

This had nothing to do with religion or guns. It had everything to do with mental illness.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
That rubs me the wrong way big time. According to that logic, God let this happen because he wasn't "allowed" there. In what sane world would you worship a being that would "allow" that? Those people have their heads screwed on backwards. Nobody in their right mind would think that's true.

This had nothing to do with religion or guns. It had everything to do with mental illness.

Right on Shane, I just wish the rest of the country was as wise.

KWight

I think Morgan Freeman has summed it up nicely...

x4 or whatever we are up to by now. Here is a post I wrote earlier on this same subject:

From the reports I read, this individual had a Personality Disorder, which consists of character traits that support flawed thinking. While the most recent media reports are showing he had Aspergers, individuals who have Aspergers are not likely to commit crimes such as this These individuals have a strong sense of right and wrong and are more awkward or withdrawn in social interactions due to this disorder. From what I can see he likely had a Antisocial and Narcissistic personality traits that lead him not only to take the life of his own family but innocent children around him.

I fear that the Media Assisted Suicides of the past have now morphed into a new phenomenon that could be called Media Assisted Homicides. As long as these incidents stay on the headlines there will be criminals out there with Antisocial and Narcissistic traits that will want to outdo the person who committed the last crime so they can make a bigger name for themselves.

I too offer my prayers for the survivors of this horrible disaster and those impacted by the crimes of the person that did this. The solace that can be gained from this for me is that other adults likely died trying to stop the killing of innocent children and other adults who survived were able to prevent the tragedy from being even worse than what it was. Hug your kids and hold them tight, you never know when they might be taken away.

QUOTE=Herzog;882003]Wow...
http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html?m=1

Scary, very much worth the read.[/QUOTE]

This same blog could have been written by me during my adolescence as I witnessed my brother's own decline with his mental health issues. In spite of this he still retained his rights to have weapons and had quite the cache of them. This all changed 3 years ago when he posted pictures of himself with his cache of weaponry on his my space account with threats of bringing justice to Utah County. After 3 months in jail he was released to the mental health courts and mandated to seek treatment for his condition. He is doing better now and my nightmares of him killing or seriously harming himself and others have not occurred since the time of his arrest.

Last edited:

Ogre Palowakski

156265_10152324110840117_2065468884_n.jpg