Home made gear

DAA

Okay, not home made gear. But home made repair and my first time ever using a sewing machine.

thumbnail_IMG_1384.jpg

The zipper went bad on my Sitka coat (again). Actually, every zipper on every piece of Sitka gear I've owned has gone bad. They use really lightweight plastic waterproof fancy zippers that have all failed me eventually. In the past, they have replaced the items, so, all good. This time, they wanted $340 to replace the zipper!

So... Cindy asked for a sewing machine like five years ago and hasn't ever touched it. So I unboxed it, read the manual, spent a few hours with a youtube tutorial and went for it. Heavy duty YKK #10 for $8 from Amazon - that weighs over half of the rest of the coat - but ought to last. And $5 for a seam ripper and spool of thread from Walmart. Up close, it's not pretty, looks like Ray Charles sewed it with his feet. But it's on there solid and totally functional and I'm pleased with my booger stitch repair job.

- DAA

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Okay, not home made gear. But home made repair and my first time ever using a sewing machine.

View attachment 169519

The zipper went bad on my Sitka coat (again). Actually, every zipper on every piece of Sitka gear I've owned has gone bad. They use really lightweight plastic waterproof fancy zippers that have all failed me eventually. In the past, they have replaced the items, so, all good. This time, they wanted $340 to replace the zipper!

So... Cindy asked for a sewing machine like five years ago and hasn't ever touched it. So I unboxed it, read the manual, spent a few hours with a youtube tutorial and went for it. Heavy duty YKK #10 for $8 from Amazon - that weighs over half of the rest of the coat - but ought to last. And $5 for a seam ripper and spool of thread from Walmart. Up close, it's not pretty, looks like Ray Charles sewed it with his feet. But it's on there solid and totally functional and I'm pleased with my booger stitch repair job.

- DAA
One thing that has motivated me to learn most of the things I know how to do is the ridiculous price of shitty quality on some items. Even I can often do better work for free than some business can do for $$$. Professional homeowner stuff right there.