Home made gear

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
When I was a kid, I was really into back packing. We were broke so I never could afford nice camping gear. My best friend was a literal genius and he convinced me to sign up for sewing class in Jr. High. Not a bad way to spend a class when we were the only dudes in it. What do these things have in common? Well I learned to sew and started making my own gear. I made fleece beanies, a sleeping bag liner, mittens a small daypack and several small "ditty bags". I really enjoyed making my own stuff and then using it.

For the last year I have been down a couple rabbit holes. A. reading all about people making ultra light weight gear for ADV riding and motorcycle camping. B. there is a dude on Youtube that built his own Go Fast Camper, including sewing the tent portion.

I screwed up my wife's Christmas present for me by buying it a couple weeks before Christmas so she grudge bought me a sewing machine for Christmas :rofl:

I have spent the last few days fully engulfed in tutorials on building gear duffels and motorcycle bags. Still pretty rusty at the sewing part but I'm practicing and should have some examples to share here soon. There are some cool high tech fabrics out there now that are super light weight, waterproof and pretty indestructible.

Anyone else make their own gear? Post up some pictures.

Tonkaman

When I was a kid, I was really into back packing. We were broke so I never could afford nice camping gear. My best friend was a literal genius and he convinced me to sign up for sewing class in Jr. High. Not a bad way to spend a class when we were the only dudes in it. What do these things have in common? Well I learned to sew and started making my own gear. I made fleece beanies, a sleeping bag liner, mittens a small daypack and several small "ditty bags". I really enjoyed making my own stuff and then using it.

For the last year I have been down a couple rabbit holes. A. reading all about people making ultra light weight gear for ADV riding and motorcycle camping. B. there is a dude on Youtube that built his own Go Fast Camper, including sewing the tent portion.

I screwed up my wife's Christmas present for me by buying it a couple weeks before Christmas so she grudge bought me a sewing machine for Christmas :rofl:

I have spent the last few days fully engulfed in tutorials on building gear duffels and motorcycle bags. Still pretty rusty at the sewing part but I'm practicing and should have some examples to share here soon. There are some cool high tech fabrics out there now that are super light weight, waterproof and pretty indestructible.

Anyone else make their own gear? Post up some pictures.
That’s awesome! Im excited to see what problem solvers you create

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Benchtop thread injectors are rad. I mess around with making my own stuff. I've made a couple different little bags for the mountain bike, and I'm currently rocking a backpacking quilt, a hammock, and the cover on my RTT that are all home brew. I haven't made a backpack yet but I need something for my snowshoes and I can't find one on the market that I like so I'm thinking about it.

DAA

My best friend was a literal genius and he convinced me to sign up for sewing class in Jr. High. Not a bad way to spend a class when we were the only dudes in it.

I took typing and home ec in high school for the same reason. I wasn't the only dude, but I had the longest hair by far and was the only dude known for getting in fights on a regular basis :rofl: . Worked out pretty well.

- DAA

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I haven’t made any backpacking gear but I do own a bad ass walking foot sewing machine with servo motor upgrade. It will do canvas, leather upholstery tow straps or whatever pretty effortlessly. I love this sewing machine.
View attachment 167834
That's a sweet machine. Dyneema webbing for tie downs is another cool sewing project I've seen.
Id like a big square bag to set over the hottub to keep the sun off. Will you make that for me??
A cover for my smoker is on the list. It will be good practice and a display of what quality you can expect. You might change your mind. 🤣

Made a few test bags with some scavenged material and zippers. I put the red pull tabs in the wrong way on the grey bag. They are pretty rough but not bad for my first pieces.

1000120049.jpg

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I always admire the fine stitch work and even looked at the more industrial type sewing machines on KSL. Definitely will follow along this thread

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That panel is awesome @J-mobzz. I've sewed here and there. Mostly using ripped out pants. I made a bag for my hot dog roasters and pie irons. A few zippered pouches for tool bags and whatnot. My MIL gave my wife and her sister sewing machines for Christmas one year. I used it more than my wife and then she lent it to a co-worker and it came back broke. My mom (and my MIL was) is a big quilter so she was always sewing. I mostly learned from her but I never got very proficient.

What type of machine did you get @glockman? I looked at getting a machine like Jacob has a while back but like a lot of things my interest waned. I hadn't ever thought about making a grill/smoker cover but that is a great idea. The one for my yoder is like $140 and mine has ripped.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Jake, your quite the renaissance man. That panel is super cool.

@nnnnnate Mine is a Singer Patchwork 7285. It has a walking foot but It is not a heavy duty machine like Jake's. There are quite a few old heavy duty Singer machines on KSL right now for around $150-200.

Checking if RockyMountainSewers.com is available.... buying...

J-mobzz

I’ve posted this before but this was a fun one too. Custom cushion covers and quilt for the hobo hipster sedan.

Also I don’t use that machine much so I’d say most of you are welcome to borrow it for a week or two if you have projects you want to tackle.

IMG_7610.jpegIMG_7609.jpeg
IMG_7608.jpeg

Here is a little folding van stool that broke so I redid with leather recently.

IMG_8090.jpeg

1969honda

Supporting Member
I don't have any pictures, but for Christmas a few years ago I made (with the help of my Mom and her walking foot machine) all of my boys knock off versions of the Kifaru gun bearer. I used a multi-cam print cordura headliner with 1/8" closed cell foam bonded to it off of Ebay. The webbing, tri glides and quick cam buckles were all from Rockywoods. They've worked awesome on a couple big game hunts, hold the rifles well enough to hike to the top of Prater Hollow and Mt. Naomi while leaving my hands free. Tripod folds up and fits in one pretty well for spotting and summer hikes too.

This year I used the rest of the headliner and made my 15 year old a roll up, padded 30" x 72" shooting matt. There was just enough material left we were able to do a couple 15" wide x 18" tall fold out wings set back 8" from one end. It rolls up to about 6" in diameter and provides a 1/4" cushion that he can use for shooting, camping, road side emergencies, etc...

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I don't have any pictures, but for Christmas a few years ago I made (with the help of my Mom and her walking foot machine) all of my boys knock off versions of the Kifaru gun bearer. I used a multi-cam print cordura headliner with 1/8" closed cell foam bonded to it off of Ebay. The webbing, tri glides and quick cam buckles were all from Rockywoods. They've worked awesome on a couple big game hunts, hold the rifles well enough to hike to the top of Prater Hollow and Mt. Naomi while leaving my hands free. Tripod folds up and fits in one pretty well for spotting and summer hikes too.

This year I used the rest of the headliner and made my 15 year old a roll up, padded 30" x 72" shooting matt. There was just enough material left we were able to do a couple 15" wide x 18" tall fold out wings set back 8" from one end. It rolls up to about 6" in diameter and provides a 1/4" cushion that he can use for shooting, camping, road side emergencies, etc...
That's awesome. Good idea on the shooting matt. I'll add that to my list.