homemade on board air?

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
so i've been looking into kilby ent. stuff to convert my york compressor to tire filling duty. problem is i spend all my money on repairs and none left for upgrades is there a more economical or redneck way to do this conversion kilby looks like it'll be 150+ . i'd like to be free + or - a buck or two. any ideas?

muleskinner

I've run the old round Chevy style A/C pumps for years at a time without trouble. I just welded a fitting on the intake for a filter, and a 1/4 NPT fitting on the other end with a quick connect from an air hose. I did put a pressure regulator on it so I could always have my tank pressure @ 120 PSI. I would put a couple drops of Triflow in the intake occasionally for lube. (The freon usually lubes it)

cheapzuk

you could just hook it up to a tank with a blow off valve. then when you hear the valve open hurry and shut off the compressor. Just a thought. The yorks should have oil in the crank case of them but you wiil probably want an oil seperator after the compressor

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
darwin said:
so i've been looking into kilby ent. stuff to convert my york compressor to tire filling duty. problem is i spend all my money on repairs and none left for upgrades is there a more economical or redneck way to do this conversion kilby looks like it'll be 150+ . i'd like to be free + or - a buck or two. any ideas?

I can make you a great deal on the Kilby stuff...:D

But if you seriously want free or close to it.. Just pick up a York compressor out of the wrecking yard (there are tons of them out there), make a bracket, get some various fittings and hook it up. I think you should be able to find a York for about $20 or so....Total invested would probably end up around $100-150...Kilby's are expensive, but very nice - cosmetically and functionality.

reddevil

'93 Cherokee
waynehartwig said:
I can make you a great deal on the Kilby stuff...:D

But if you seriously want free or close to it.. Just pick up a York compressor out of the wrecking yard (there are tons of them out there), make a bracket, get some various fittings and hook it up. I think you should be able to find a York for about $20 or so....Total invested would probably end up around $100-150...Kilby's are expensive, but very nice - cosmetically and functionality.

Wayne, does kilby make a kit for a cherokee yet? I want a clean install for on board air, but I have to keep A/C.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
reddevil said:
Wayne, does kilby make a kit for a cherokee yet? I want a clean install for on board air, but I have to keep A/C.
To my knowledge, not yet. There is a guy on here with a white XJ that made his own OBA with a York. Nice clean setup, with factory air... I can't remember his name! It's been a while since I've seen him around... :-\

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I was into my setup ~100 bucks with air tank I purchased from Kilby and the bracket.. all the rest of the stuff I picked up at Home Depot. Getting your pressure switch just right sucks! I almost want to buy the Kilby pressure switch cuz mine still doesn't do what I want it to do. At least it works so I am not going to worry about it. for now..

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
well i got a 7 gallon air tank from wall mart for less than 20 bucks even has a gauge on it! now i need an intake air filter, a pressure switch and maybe a oil seperator. are you guys running that air brake line? can you get that stuff at evco?

bretto

Willytime
I put a york on my XJ. I had to move the battery to the other side. Mounted the pump off to the side of the stock ac pump with bracketry. I bought a pulley from kirby to run it off the alternator but everything else was home brew. Works great, I filled 7 tires to my friend one with his truck air electric pump the other day in Moab. Runs air tools pretty well to.
Brett

Darwin

GREASE MONKEY
did you put an oil seperator and pressure switch on your system, and what kind of fittings did you use on the compressor itself?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
bretto said:
I put a york on my XJ. I had to move the battery to the other side. Mounted the pump off to the side of the stock ac pump with bracketry. I bought a pulley from kirby to run it off the alternator but everything else was home brew. Works great, I filled 7 tires to my friend one with his truck air electric pump the other day in Moab. Runs air tools pretty well to.
Brett
Here is a setup for you to look at... Very clean and nicely done!!

gofastreggie

Iam in the refrigeration biz. and know that they make presure switchs in all different settings that just screw on with 1/4 inch flare fitting that would keep your tank at what ever presure you want , you could find them at johnstones supply off of 3rd west and about 30th so. slc.for not much$$

Last edited:

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I used an oil seperator and a pressure switch. I do get a little oil in my seperator but not a whole lot. I would just rather be safe than sorry. The hardest thing I had to find was a air filter. I got mine off an old lawnmower :D.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Granger will provide everything you need at a fraction of Kilby's prices. You will need a intake filter, check valve, and pressure switch. A oil removal filter is recomended but not an absolute must.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Darwin,

Hang on a couple weeks.......there will be a really comprehensive article in the next issue of the U4 Compass Magazine all about OBA!!

I will say that the author of the above mentioned article spend a lot more that $150. He bought the bracket from Kilby and a couple other things. Getting all the fittings is what will kill you (nickel and dime). I think I am into a CO2 set up for under $100 but I already had a head start with a bottle. And I didn't have to spend a whole weekend installing it. I admit the York is a bit sexier however.

EZ

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
bobdog said:
Granger will provide everything you need at a fraction of Kilby's prices. You will need a intake filter, check valve, and pressure switch. A oil removal filter is recomended but not an absolute must.
Does Granger carry the York? I know they carry all of the lines, fittings, filter/regulator, etc..etc... Bad thing about Granger (for most) is you must have a business to shop there, they won't sell to the general public. I get a pretty good discount there (because of my dad - he spends LOTS of money there every year with his farming biz back in Cali)....Anyway....So if you need something, we'll go party! :D

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
waynehartwig said:
Does Granger carry the York? I know they carry all of the lines, fittings, filter/regulator, etc..etc... Bad thing about Granger (for most) is you must have a business to shop there, they won't sell to the general public. I get a pretty good discount there (because of my dad - he spends LOTS of money there every year with his farming biz back in Cali)....Anyway....So if you need something, we'll go party! :D

From reading Darwins post I see that he already hass a York siting in his engine bay as a stock A/C compressor, so he only needs the other parts. As far as needing a business to buy from granger I have always been able to walk in say I work for a business that would have an account there and have them ring it up as a cash sale. Pick a huge company because they will probably get a better discount.("hint" Kennecott gets the maximum discount)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
bobdog said:
From reading Darwins post I see that he already hass a York siting in his engine bay as a stock A/C compressor, so he only needs the other parts. As far as needing a business to buy from granger I have always been able to walk in say I work for a business that would have an account there and have them ring it up as a cash sale. Pick a huge company because they will probably get a better discount.("hint" Kennecott gets the maximum discount)
:eek: :eek: thats being dishonest!

:rofl:

Zam Man

We're working on an on board system too. Can onybody give us a part number for a serpentine pulley style clutch for the York compressor? Kilby wants quite a bit of $$$ for one. I know it's available at NAPA if we just had a part #.
Thanks

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Zam Man said:
We're working on an on board system too. Can onybody give us a part number for a serpentine pulley style clutch for the York compressor? Kilby wants quite a bit of $$$ for one. I know it's available at NAPA if we just had a part #.
Thanks
I'll do it for $80 a clutch....Either 6, 8 or v groove....These are not from Kilby (to keep the MAP pricing hunters at bay:) )