Hope this wasn't someone from here.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
On our trip to Moab Thursday for our annual family Jeep trip there were two rollovers that we saw on the way down. One was a pickup just outside of Moab and the other was a fellow off-roader just outside of Helper. The rig that rolled near Helper was a triple rig, they had an Expedition pulling a car hauler with a jacked up green 4 Runner on it and in back of the car hauler they had a big house trailer. Somehow they lost control and rolled the house trailer and lost the 4 Runner off of the hauler. The trailer was a mess and the 4 Runner was rubber side up and looked like it had rolled several times. They were in a fairly flat area so I don't know how they lost control of the rig.
So if you are headed down that way be carefull.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Kinda scary someone would be pulling doubles with an Expedition. Hope everyone is ok.

Are you still in Moab? I am heading down today and want to hit a trail.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Kinda scary someone would be pulling doubles with an Expedition. Hope everyone is ok.

Are you still in Moab? I am heading down today and want to hit a trail.

Yeah I hope no one was hurt. We had planned to be in Moab till late Saturday however life took an unpleasant turn this week. My brother (and embabe's dad) had been battling cancer and was looking forward to going down for one last jeep trip. We rented a house and had lined up all of the things he would need but he passed away on Tuesday. We struggled with whether or not we should even go down but we decided that the last thing he would want is for us to give up on a family tradition because of him. We had a very pleasant but somber trip and spent Thursday evening talking about his life and all of the great times we had together. We came back Friday for the viewing and funeral today. I wish we were still down there riding the trails with him instead. We were able to do several trails, Hell's Revenge, Fins and things, and some of Behind the rocks.

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I think I passed you about 7AM on I-15 at 10000

We had a group of six jeeps my son's red Comanche, my brother's orange Rubicon, my late brothers yellow Rubicon, my son in laws white XJ, my nephews white XJ and my niece's black Grand Cherokee. We would have been there about that time.

Mug

PHORmerly
On our trip to Moab Thursday for our annual family Jeep trip there were two rollovers that we saw on the way down.

Has anyone heard if everyone made it out ok?
Is double hauling from the bumper illegal in Utah(aside from sometimes being unsafe)?

Meat_

Banned
...They were in a fairly flat area so I don't know how they lost control of the rig.
So if you are headed down that way be carefull.

Because instead of pulling one trailer with a rig that shouldn't be pulling it, they were pulling TWO trailers that shouldn't be behind that vehicle.

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
coming back from Moab last night we saw a a wreck at Willard bay. A red Dodge truck pulling a boat went off the road and rolled HARD! It was raining really hard and he looked like he just was hydro-planeing

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Because instead of pulling one trailer with a rig that shouldn't be pulling it, they were pulling TWO trailers that shouldn't be behind that vehicle.

I agree they shouldn't have been towing what they were. My son in law had seen them at the Tucker rest stop and was worried. I found it odd that they made it all the way through Spanish Fork Canyon but lost it in a flat, straight mellow area.

Kirk

I passed that excursion double pulling - it looked like a 16 ft car hauler with the 4 runner, then about a 19 ft double axle travel trailer. I passed them at about 7:30 am Thursday as they pulled into the rest stop at the bottom of Soldiers Summit. I about went off the road looking at their set up. I told my wife I couldn't believe they dared do that. Too bad.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I passed that excursion double pulling - it looked like a 16 ft car hauler with the 4 runner, then about a 19 ft double axle travel trailer. I passed them at about 7:30 am Thursday as they pulled into the rest stop at the bottom of Soldiers Summit. I about went off the road looking at their set up. I told my wife I couldn't believe they dared do that. Too bad.

So it was an Excursion .... I guess I don't know my Fords very well. When we went by I paid most of my attention to the rolled trailer and 4Runner. The emergency crews were in the way of my view of the SUV.