How much weight can a swingout tire/gear carrier handle?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
How much weight can a swing out tire/gear carrier handle? I'm starting to gather my material for my swing out rear bumper for the cherokee. Ideally, I would like it to handle a 33 inch tire, 2 - 5 gallon scepter cans and maybe a high lift jack. I am worried about the weight the the spindle can handle with deflection. Am I over thinking it? I'm guessing everything will weigh 250 pounds max. I know the quality of the spindle could make ti or break it, any reasonable priced reccomendations

DAA

The swingout on my LJ is a Jeeperman, probably wouldn't be too hard to find out what kind of spindle they used to use? I've had a LOT of weight on mine, many, many times. A 35" spare that weighs about 100 lbs. Plus two jerry can carriers weighing 16 lbs each. Plus two jerry cans, when needed, weighing andother 10 lbs each empty, 42 pounds each full. Plus a trail rack, which with the brackets weighs probably 60 lbs. Plus at times, as much as 150+ lbs in dead coyotes on the trail rack.

So, just with the two jerry cans full, not counting any dead coyotes, call it 260 lbs, conservatively. Probably over 400 lbs, when it's been loaded heavy with dead coyotes. Been over thousands of miles of rough terrain loaded like that and is still tight and rattle free.

- DAA

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Summit Machine makes a beefcake tire carrier spindle. It'll handle your requirements with ease.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I had a standard spindle (I think I got it from RL years back) on my swing out with a 33 and 1 fuel can almost always on it.. occasionally I would put a second fuel can attached to the spare tire and saw minimal deflection.. I did always regret not making it a double swing out instead of a single swing out for a number of different reasons so you may want to look into that as well.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'd do a spring loaded pin like this one. It cuts down on rattles and fatigue since it rests on a rubber pad, or whatever material that is.. Possibly more a HDPE type material. Latches seem more likely to break with all of the forces involved, especially if there is enough room to cause rattling and wiggling.

DSC_0427.jpg

Heftyfab out of CO builds sweet bumpers for Land Cruisers, Broncos, and now Xterras.. They use a double heim style rather than a spindle.. Beefmaster.

X6.jpg

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The swingout on my LJ is a Jeeperman, probably wouldn't be too hard to find out what kind of spindle they used to use? I've had a LOT of weight on mine, many, many times. A 35" spare that weighs about 100 lbs. Plus two jerry can carriers weighing 16 lbs each. Plus two jerry cans, when needed, weighing andother 10 lbs each empty, 42 pounds each full. Plus a trail rack, which with the brackets weighs probably 60 lbs. Plus at times, as much as 150+ lbs in dead coyotes on the trail rack.

So, just with the two jerry cans full, not counting any dead coyotes, call it 260 lbs, conservatively. Probably over 400 lbs, when it's been loaded heavy with dead coyotes. Been over thousands of miles of rough terrain loaded like that and is still tight and rattle free.

- DAA

It's the same one we still use :cool:

Like he says, it's hell for stout and IMO the best hinge on the market. I have no issues selling you a complete setup
Hinge Pin
Hinge Hub
Bearing Preload Spacers/seal surface
Timken bearings
Timken Seals
Alum. cap and bolt

But you might not like the price... I have the pin, hub, preload spacers and alum cap custom made on CNC equipment and the fit/finish is awesome! ...But it's not cheap, even when I'm ordering enough for 250 bumpers at a time.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Any idea on which is better, using the oil impregnated brass versus using ones that use roller bearing?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Any idea on which is better, using the oil impregnated brass versus using ones that use roller bearing?

This is how I look at them:

One is cheap, easy to set up, works decently, and is easy to replace as it wears. (and wear means potential rattles)

One is more expensive, a bit harder to set up, but smoother and adjustable for preload. Shouldn't need to be replaced really.

lewis

Fight Till You Die

One is cheap, easy to set up, works decently, and is easy to replace as it wears. (and wear means potential rattles)

One is more expensive, a bit harder to set up, but smoother and adjustable for preload. Shouldn't need to be replaced really.
Somehow you always know how to put it so I can understand. Thanks

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I have a solution for ya Kiel, and the price will be right for you. :D
A few years ago I came up with a beefy spindle of my own and had some machined. I have a few extras left. You'll have to source a few things like bearings & races, a seal, etc. It uses bearings and races from a 3500 lb trailer axle so they are cheap and readily available (Hendersons). I was buying the seals at Autozone. Give me a call if you're interested.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

Just to add to it...
Brass doesn't like dirt. So good seals and constant lube to wash the dirt away will be necessary.

The bearing doesn't have that problem. Grease it, set it and forget it.

On my bumpers, the bearing preload is set by tightening a 5/8" bolt.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
So many options, I'm cheap but not cheap enough to redo stuff later. This is the one I have been looking at and it seems pretty popular.

http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=181

The old trailer spindle setups, don't seem to have the ease and reliability I want from the reviews I have seen. Wayne I will pm ya or give ya a call, yours does look beefy, and I do just want to buy a kit, so I don't have to mis and match

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I went with the huge chunk of round steel and brass bushings rather than the standard trailer spindle after reading about how many people have had trailer spindles fail, resulting in their spare wheel & tire bouncing down the road. That scared me, so I went with what I thought would be the stronger option. It may not be perfect, but I don't think I'll be picking up my spare tire after a swing-out breaks off the bumper.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That emsoffroad one (besides being out of stock) is just a trailer spindle also....as are most (or all) of the roller-bearing options. ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
So many options, I'm cheap but not cheap enough to redo stuff later. This is the one I have been looking at and it seems pretty popular.

http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=181

The old trailer spindle setups, don't seem to have the ease and reliability I want from the reviews I have seen. Wayne I will pm ya or give ya a call, yours does look beefy, and I do just want to buy a kit, so I don't have to mis and match

I went with the huge chunk of round steel and brass bushings rather than the standard trailer spindle after reading about how many people have had trailer spindles fail, resulting in their spare wheel & tire bouncing down the road. That scared me, so I went with what I thought would be the stronger option. It may not be perfect, but I won't be picking up my spare tire after a swing-out breaks off the bumper.

There are THOUSANDS of Jeeperman tire carriers out there and I've yet to hear of one hinge failure in what, 9 years?

May not be the cheapest but it works and looks good.
Jason has a bunch of pictures of the hinge portion here:
http://jeepin.net/fotos/installs/swingaway

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Wayne, I wasn't implying that they were Jeeperman parts that had failed, if that's the way you took it.

From what I saw when researching trailer spindles for swing outs, most of the broken spindles were DIY swing outs. Perhaps the way the swing out was supported (or not supported) on the other end fatigued the spindle until it broke. I don't know... but I do know I didn't want the same thing happen to me, so I bought the one I did, and I don't think I'll have the problem of my swing out breaking off. There were enough broken trailer spindles out there that I didn't feel comfortable using a standard trailer spindle for my swing out.