How much weight can a swingout tire/gear carrier handle?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Wayne, I wasn't implying that they were Jeeperman parts that had failed, if that's the way you took it.

From what I saw when researching trailer spindles for swing outs, most of the broken spindles were DIY swing outs. Perhaps the way the swing out was supported (or not supported) on the other end fatigued the spindle until it broke. I don't know... but I do know I didn't want the same thing happen to me, so I bought the one I did, and I don't think I'll have the problem of my swing out breaking off. There were enough broken trailer spindles out there that I didn't feel comfortable using a standard trailer spindle for my swing out.

No, I knew you weren't implying that. I was quoting yours for effect and reason for not buying the spindle type :D

Rubicon Express quit making rear bumpers/tire carriers because of failures (or I assume it's the reason). I remember watching one fail on the freeway when I lived in Sacramento....

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Perhaps the way the swing out was supported (or not supported) on the other end fatigued the spindle until it broke.

I think that's exactly what happens to those.

I always made sure the swingout gate pressed against tailgate bumpers when closed, to eliminate any front to back wiggling/fatiguing also. Plus, that also eliminates noises and rattles.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Anyone have any pictures of the old "spare Dana 60 spindle/hub tire carrier"? :D Someone built one that used the lockout to hold it shut if I remember right.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Anyone have any pictures of the old "spare Dana 60 spindle/hub tire carrier"? :D Someone built one that used the lockout to hold it shut if I remember right.

IMO the 60 hub/lockout method is a pretty good way to go. I think that you'd still want some sort of a clamp to hold it shut, as the lockout alone might allow some rattles.

I used to use the de-sta-co pull action clamps. McMaster Carr sells them for about $18.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think the spare hub deal is only to hold it open, not closed...but having never done it, I wouldn't testify in court about it.

Chevycrew

Could you machine a solid spindle to match a dana 44, then use a 44 hub and lockout to hold open?

Or simply add heavy wall DOM to the inside of the spindle?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think the spare hub deal is only to hold it open, not closed...but having never done it, I wouldn't testify in court about it.

Would be neat to have it work either way. Lock it closed, lock it open... I suppose you'd need a stub in there and you'd have to be ok with 12 or 10.29* increments on the opening. :D Hmmm. I'm gonna have to talk to Jimmy I think. :D

Could you machine a solid spindle to match a dana 44, then use a 44 hub and lockout to hold open?

Or simply add heavy wall DOM to the inside of the spindle?

Why? The spindle can handle a couple thousand pounds in its normal orientation.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Would be neat to have it work either way. Lock it closed, lock it open... I suppose you'd need a stub in there and you'd have to be ok with 12 or 10.29* increments on the opening. :D Hmmm. I'm gonna have to talk to Jimmy I think. :D

[Ed McMahon] YOU sir, are correct! [Ed McMahon]

the stub would have to be fixed as as well. I think you'd have a rough time making the closed position work out though. :-\

lewis

Fight Till You Die
The leverage shouldn't make much difference since the force that the spindle will see is just the amount of weight multiplied by the distance from the spindle. In the case of supporting a spare tire, this force will still be way less than the weight it would see in its normal orientation.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Consider the way a tire carrier spindle is loaded versus that of a axle spindle, the moment is quite different and this is why you can and do see broken tire carrier spindles but its rare to see a broken axle spindle even when they have a hollow design and often have 1/16" wall thickness.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I have to disagree.
A spindle on a rig is in a 'sheer' position, not leverage - unless you have wide tires with lots of backspacing.
A tire carrier hub is in a leverage position and not sheer. The leverage position also stretches the steel. Also, think about the fact you have ~400# over a ~40" length. On top of that, you have the rig bouncing down the road, loading and unloading the spindle, causing fatigue.
It would probably be ok, but to say it's the same or better situation than on the rig I have to disagree with.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I have a hard time seeing it, but when mounted to the bumper with the other end of the tire carrier fixed, I can't envision a moment until it swings. The only load I can see is a type of linear impact loading when the vehicle is on rough road. I can see why they would fail this way since the load would only be put on one of the bearings at a time in way that the bearing wasn't designed for.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I think you'd have a rough time making the closed position work out though. :-\

How so? Set it closed, and assume that it will open at least 95* so you can get say... a Blazer tailgate open. :D I am not seeing the
issue. :D

It's bulkyish, but I think an axle-spindle carrier with some appropriate latch end would hold up pretty well. I could see some forward/backward forces during braking etc, but that would load the spindle just like a wheel, so no big deal there. Time to bust out SketchUp hahha

Last edited:

DAA

It's the same one we still use :cool:

Sorry about that... :(.

FWIW though, I've put my Jeeperman rear bumper through more torture than most swing outs will ever see, as far as loading it TOO heavy and running rough terrain at speed. Absolutely NO complaints. It's held up very, very well.

- DAA

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The trailer spindle type mounts are plenty strong for a tire and couple cans. What kills them is vibration. No matter how strong you build your carrier, it's only as strong as the bumper it's mounted on and that is going to flex a bit. The cure for this, as Carl eluded to, is to add some type of bump stop between the tire itself and the vehicle.

For what it's worth, on my LJ I angled the spindle a few degrees away from the body. As the carrier opens, it also travels downward a couple inches. Makes for a nice (no hands) way to hold it open, no way it's going to travel uphill and slam against the back of your legs.

EB101

Wow there's a lot of good advice in this thread.

I used the comp4x4 spindles. I used the big one for my tire carrier, the smaller for my cooler/can carrier. My issue has always been so much leverage applied by my 35" mudzillas, that at the end of my Hansen bumper (it's a plate bumper) it should be boxed along with the brace I already have up into the frame. Now recently I added the cooler rack on the other side of the bumper and figured it'd be removable because I mounted it with a bolt pinning the spindle in. The biggest help was that I added was a square sleeve to the end of my tire carrier arm that ties both together and it nearly doubled the strength of the tire carrier. It stablized it so much I am thinking it will be permanent.

There are many stories about tires coming off with their mounts. One I know of specifically, the rig was on a trailer when it shook off (spindle broke) on the freeway. It made me be extra cautious and maybe overbuild. It's not too scientific but I'd say, go with the stoutest option you can, tie it in up high too if you can, then you won't have to worry about it.

BTW, my rack is made out of 2 inch square (1/4 wall I think) with the sleeve between from reciever tube. It holds the weight of my rig even when I rolled on it, it just crushed in my tailgate a ways with the flex.

Now, I'd like to find a latch I like to replace the spin-on nut.
-Steve

ZUKEYPR

I had a trailer spindle broke clean in half on a bumper that was mounted with 10 grade 8 5/8 bolts (6 in the stock locations and 2 on each side going to the frame), the open end was secured with a grade 8 5/8 bolt through some 1/2 inch plate. It was snubbed up tightly against the rubber stops on the tailgate. Still broke.

Put a video camera facing out your back window pointed at your current configuration, drive down ............say Bangerter Hwy and just see how radically that tire is bouncing. It doesn't take an off road situation to cause cycling failures.

Glad it was bolted on the other end or that young girl in that little car following me would of probably at the least would of had the life scared out of her.

That spindle btw was welded on by not only a professionally certified welder but a NASCAR certified welder all the same so I know it was done right. That's the only part of the build I personally didn't want to screw with.