How much weight can a swingout tire/gear carrier handle?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Any pics? Was it the spindle itself that failed or the bearings, hub? Not sure what you mean by it broke clean in half. Glad no one got hurt, I ask so I won't hurt anyone.
I had a trailer spindle broke clean in half on a bumper that was mounted with 10 grade 8 5/8 bolts (6 in the stock locations and 2 on each side going to the frame), the open end was secured with a grade 8 5/8 bolt through some 1/2 inch plate. It was snubbed up tightly against the rubber stops on the tailgate. Still broke.

Put a video camera facing out your back window pointed at your current configuration, drive down ............say Bangerter Hwy and just see how radically that tire is bouncing. It doesn't take an off road situation to cause cycling failures.

Glad it was bolted on the other end or that young girl in that little car following me would of probably at the least would of had the life scared out of her.

That spindle btw was welded on by not only a professionally certified welder but a NASCAR certified welder all the same so I know it was done right. That's the only part of the build I personally didn't want to screw with.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
No matter how the tire carrier is situated, the hinge is under full load. Doesn't matter if the tire carrier is open or closed. While driving down the road, it's bouncing back and forth as well as up and down.

Next time you're around a Jeeperman Swing Away, look at it very closely, from a design point of view. The way it was engineered is nothing short of a work of art. I don't want to get into it on open forum, but it's design distributes the weight on the carrier evenly through the hinge and the crossmember. No rattles. No failures. And without having anything between the tire and vehicle to help support it.

My Jeeperman Swing Away took a 40 mph rear end collision (lifted Toyota truck) at the spare tire, er wheel ;) It only bent the wheel mounting surface on the tire carrier. No ill effect to the hinge, latch, etc. Still opens easily and is rattle free.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Next time you're around a Jeeperman Swing Away, look at it very closely, from a design point of view. The way it was engineered is nothing short of a work of art. I don't want to get into it on open forum, but it's design distributes the weight on the carrier evenly through the hinge and the crossmember. No rattles. No failures. And without having anything between the tire and vehicle to help support it.

Good thing there's no pictures we could look at onli... oh, wait. :rofl:

heh :D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Good thing there's no pictures we could look at onli... oh, wait. :rofl:

heh :D

The pictures won't help... For one, they are two dimensional and two, you can't really see what I'm talking about in them. You've gotta be with the swing away and Jeep and see the whole 'picture'.

About the only thing you will get out of the pictures is the tire is leaning back at the top. It's part of it, but there is more to it than that. Even the companies that have copied the Jeeperman bumper havent figured it out. :greg:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Anyone have any pictures of the old "spare Dana 60 spindle/hub tire carrier"? :D Someone built one that used the lockout to hold it shut if I remember right.

jason (heinz on here) has a swing out made out of a hub and stuff. It is pretty cool. Have him snap a picture.