How thick for a skid plate?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
supergper said:
and the lack of movement come from when guys have rubber motor mounts and poly tranny mounts, if the mounts are the same or softer in the south end then there shouldn;t be any problems...
That's the theory, but it ain't worth a tranny case IMHO. I have heard of them breaking with poly at the motor too, the same tube bushing type.

Caleb

Hickey said:
That's the theory, but it ain't worth a tranny case IMHO. I have heard of them breaking with poly at the motor too, the same tube bushing type.

T350s are cheap and easy to find:D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
From what I can tell there are two ways that aluminum transmission cases break because of the mount. One is if the mount is too stiff, and is mounted directly to the transmission. This is how mine Broke. I don't think the same forces apply, since the mount is mounted to the t-case adapters, and not to the transmission itself. The other way they break is because there is too much weight hanging off the end of them that is not supported. This is how Carl's broke, the t-case was not mounted. I think both problems will be solved with Caleb's mount. As you said, we will see.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
supergper said:
That is just it,,, where do you find one when it snaps on upper proving grounds.

My comments were in no way bashing on a mounting system, as stated I have yet to see this type.

Caleb

Shawn said:
That is just it,,, where do you find one when it snaps on upper proving grounds.

I understand that, hey...atleast I got a winch now:p really I may just do what you suggested, that would be super easy to add to the existing setup...

Shawn said:
My comments were in no way bashing on a mounting system, as stated I have yet to see this type.

I'm not taking it as a bash by any means...I hope everyone realizes by now that it takes more than the internet to offend me;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
I'm glad that you don't, there are many that do ;)
Are you referring to me?!?!? what is your problem?! Why can't you just leave me alone?! You are such an E-jerk!! :rofl: :rofl: :hickey:

everything in this post is intended to be taken in a sarcastic manner.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
supergper said:

Sounds like fun....replacing your TH350 after every wheelin trip...

I too question the crossmember design? But maybe yours will be different as your Xmember supports trans/adapter in 4 places

cyberduke

Hairy Bagel
Hickey said:
Personally I would not run that type of crossmember. I have heard of quite a few people cracking tranny cases and/or bellhousings because of the lack of movement at the south end of the drivetrain.

I believe that the R & D of said tranny mount was the result of expirience. :D

-Earl

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Hickey said:
You are such an E-jerk!!]

lol, that was the pg-13 version of what I meant. I didn't want to become part of "the band" ;D

Cody

I have no technical advice to lend to this topic. I just recently had my very first skidplate installed.

harkinoff

something to do...
Is it too much movement or not enough movement that breaks the tranny's? I have went through one tranny also,and also run this same setup... I think it was two much movement that caused my breakage, since I was using halves of spring bushings for the t-case mounts, yes it was a soft mount and caused alot of movement.. Now I run thin body bushings, alot stiffer, and so far no breakage...And I have put the skinny pedal test to it a couple of times now...

Caleb

harkinoff said:
Is it too much movement or not enough movement that breaks the tranny's? I have went through one tranny also,and also run this same setup... I think it was two much movement that caused my breakage, since I was using halves of spring bushings for the t-case mounts, yes it was a soft mount and caused alot of movement.. Now I run thin body bushings, alot stiffer, and so far no breakage...And I have put the skinny pedal test to it a couple of times now...

yes and no...its the difference between the engine and tranny mounts stifness that causes breakage...this is why guys hard mount their engines and use poly tranny mounts, or poly engine mounts and rubber tranny mounts...or liek the factory setup, both rubber...

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i am running a similar setup to yours caleb. when i was designing mine i was at rl and saw yours and thought dang that is a cool idea and simple too. so mine is quite similar.

i think it is a cool design personally, but maybe that is because i am using it... :D

Caleb

xj_punk said:
i am running a similar setup to yours caleb. when i was designing mine i was at rl and saw yours and thought dang that is a cool idea and simple too. so mine is quite similar.

i think it is a cool design personally, but maybe that is because i am using it... :D

crap, if you're running it its gonna suck for sure:rofl:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
supergper said:
crap, if you're running it its gonna suck for sure:rofl:

well i was hoping it would be SUPER because you are running it too :rolleyes:

we should join forces since we have the same type of xmember and all... i am sick of being your arch-nemesis -_-

Caleb

xj_punk said:
well i was hoping it would be SUPER because you are running it too :rolleyes:

we should join forces since we have the same type of xmember and all... i am sick of being your arch-nemesis -_-

:rofl: so if we join forces are we gonna have to have rotating shifts-_-

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
supergper said:
yes and no...its the difference between the engine and tranny mounts stifness that causes breakage...this is why guys hard mount their engines and use poly tranny mounts, or poly engine mounts and rubber tranny mounts...or liek the factory setup, both rubber...

I have heard people debate about that mounting set-up before and I think you are right about the softness of the mounts comparatively. I think there is one thing that people don't take into account that may be just as much if not more of an issue.

How far away from the center line the mounts are.

If the engine mounts are say 6" inches from the center line when the whole drivetrain rocks say 5 degrees under power it will move the engine mounts x far up on one side and x far down on the other (sorry not going to break out the calculator and figure this one out). Now if your tranny mounts are say 12 inches away from the center line they will move up and down twice as far as the engine mounts will when the engine rocks under torque. Since there is not enough movement in the tranny mounts when set-up like yours assuming twice the distance to the tranny mounts (not necessarily what yours is just using it as an example) the entire torque of the whole drivetrain is then only restrained by the tranny mounts. This then causes housings to break. They can't handle all the torque.

To keep the torque between the engine and tranny mounts closer to even (most of the torque should probably be taken up by the engine mounts really) you have to make sure the mounts for the tranny are closer to center line than engine mounts are. Then if you use poly engine and rubber tranny mounts you should be fine.

Just something I thought of when thinking about it that you may want to consider if you have problems or someone else may want to try due to problems they are having.

:)