How to: attach jeep to trailer?

You anti "X" guys are not making any sense to me. How would this cause the thing to bump off the trailer? If it can do it in the "X" pattern it could do it on the four-corner method as well.
In speaking of the front, it pulls the rig tight to the front and having the "X" it pulls inward from each side. I have strapped both ways with the nylon ratchets and the "X" keeps the rig in place better and tighter. The rear "X" pattern is basically the same as the front only pulling to the rear.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Zukimog said:
You anti "X" guys are not making any sense to me. How would this cause the thing to bump off the trailer? If it can do it in the "X" pattern it could do it on the four-corner method as well.
In speaking of the front, it pulls the rig tight to the front and having the "X" it pulls inward from each side. I have strapped both ways with the nylon ratchets and the "X" keeps the rig in place better and tighter. The rear "X" pattern is basically the same as the front only pulling to the rear.

I'm not anti-X, I'm just not sure what you gain from that. If each corner is securely tied down, however you do it (X or otherwise), the rig won't really go anywhere.

My preference is to use chains where possible and that'd be the only point I would differ.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
X-ing will give you better a side to side restraint along with good front to back restraint.

Maybe this will explain a bit:

Attachments

• tiedown.jpg
    tiedown.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 47

Caleb

Herzog said:
X-ing will give you better a side to side restraint along with good front to back restraint.

Maybe this will explain a bit:

I always do it like the second one over...corner of rig to corner of trailer...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
supergper said:
I always do it like the second one over...corner of rig to corner of trailer...
Everything Caleb has said in this thread is exactly how I strap mine down to the trailer. It is also the same method I use whe I hauled heavy equipment part time.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
mbryson said:
...Let's assume you didn't hit anything and could slow your rig down (assuming the same weights) in 180ft.....(I doubt that as that MUCHO weight) on just a fast stop without the 'assistance' of hitting anything.....

Here ya go

6000lb Vehicle
1000lb Trailer
85mph-0mph in 180ft

Vf^2=Vi^2 + 2a(x2-x1)

0Mph=85mph^2 + 2a(180ft)
a= -43.17 ft/s^2

F=ma
F=(7000lb)(43.17 ft/s^2)
F=9392.70151339 lbf*

So in this case the 10k straps would suffice. Plus I would imagine that the 10k rating is the "working load" not the "breaking strength" of the straps. I bet the can actually hold closer to 12-15k before breaking...

*(Assuming uniform deceleration, ignoring jerk/impulse)

Last edited: