How to build a Taco?

Houndoc

I have looked at several 2nd Generation Tacoma on KSL that could fit well into what I want in a new rig.

I worry some with ones that are lifted enough to run 35s if the axles etc are really up to the task (the seller of a 3rd went back to 33s specifically because of wear to CV joints.)

So, what should I be looking for as far as build to ensure it has been done "right"?

Agility Customs

Vendor
I have looked at several 2nd Generation Tacoma on KSL that could fit well into what I want in a new rig.

I worry some with ones that are lifted enough to run 35s if the axles etc are really up to the task (the seller of a 3rd went back to 33s specifically because of wear to CV joints.)

So, what should I be looking for as far as build to ensure it has been done "right"?
Buy a stock one. Seriously. They are cheap/easy enough to mod yourself and then your not inheriting someone elses headache that they modded the cheapest way possible.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Rock sliders and drive it. E-locker preferred when purchasing.

I think stock tires are about 31" (265/75r16 or 265/70r17), 285 series don't require as much clearance and are friendlier to a stock setup. On my first gen I had to use some wheel adapters to space it out enough to clear the upper control arm.

This kind of goes into the whole discussion of what are you doing with it and are you building for the 1% of needs vs the 99%?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Also you can take the stock truck over to Geoff (the Toyota guy) at Agility and he can modify it as you see fit. Stock is best in the great majority of vehicle purchases.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My taco on 2.5-3" lift and 285/70 17's (metric 33) could go a LOT of places, and never felt big or top heavy. Slow? Yes, but very capable and pretty nimble.

I liked my ome setup for it's durability/versatility, but I pack pretty light and without some weight in back the ride was pretty rough. I went to a bilstein 6100 in front and some softer all pro springs in back and I preferred the ride and performance... Just as long as I didn't need to put a lot of stuff in back. Then it drove like a rollerskate.

I miss my Tacoma. I wish 2 kids, a 70# dog and camping gear could all fit in one.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Tacoma's don't like 35's, more specifically their Sheetmetal, steering racks, ball-joints, brakes, axle shafts, differentials and transmissions don't like 35's. All of those items can be modified and upgraded at a cost, but it's a big jump. They just work so well on a 2-3" suspension lift and 33" tires imo. We've built dozens of them for customers and Toyota themselves, we tell them all the same thing... it's ~$2k for a 2-3" lift capable of running 33" tires. It's an additional $5k to make them hold up to 35+" tires :D

@Houndoc - Should you end up in a Tacoma, we would love to help with any parts needs you may have. We stock Old Man Emu (Nitrocharger and BP-51 suspensions) as well as Dobinson's and Bilstein options for them. Best option will really depend on your build plans, bumpers, weights, trip usage, etc.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I followed a stock 3rd gen Tacoma running 265/70/16 tires and no lift down elephant hill on Saturday. People total under estimate what you can do with a stock truck. If you go to 33's make sure to add regearing to the budget. Even my V8 4runner suffered when I went to 285/70/17's.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I followed a stock 3rd gen Tacoma running 265/70/16 tires and no lift down elephant hill on Saturday. People total under estimate what you can do with a stock truck. If you go to 33's make sure to add regearing to the budget. Even my V8 4runner suffered when I went to 285/70/17's.
When jack added the 2” lift to the Tacoma he bought from @Tonkaman it had a small vibration that is caused by the needle bearings in the front diff. I am not sure if this is the kit he bought but the bushing kit that replaces the needle bearings fixed it.