Hunting Sidearm?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
So sunday night I was walking back to the ATV's after dark and it dawned on me that I should really have a sidearm on my while I'm hunting. I know I've seen big cat tracks in South Dakota while hunting and don't feel like my rifle is fast enough for protection.

I really don't know where to start since I don't know jack about pistols. I know a 10mm seems to be a fair compromise between good knockdown power and being able to put out a lot of rounds. .44 Mag is always a winner for knockdown power. I'm not opposed to a revolver at all in fact I really enjoy revolvers.

I'm not really looking for something to have for concealed carry although I might on occasion. Also this will not be a hunting pistol just a dangerous animal self defense weapon. And I am aware that I need to get my CCW before I can carry while hunting.

What are your thoughts?

Bucking Bronco

I would go with a revolver for situations where 1 or 2 rounds is usually all you will ever need.

A revolver will always go BANG!

I am a big fan of Auto's but I recently had to use mine after a few days of being out in the buggy and sure enough it worked the first time but would not feed the second round. I trust this weapon with my life when clean and it is my carry weapon. However it won't get carried on a trail ever again.

Some auto's work better then others but they will never out preform a revolver for reliability.

The only down side to a revolver is you are limited to 5 or 6 shots.

rholbrook

I personally like a 40. I carry a Glock 40. I understand what Steve is saying on the revolver but have never had it happen to me. The question to ask yourself I guess is can I afford to have more than one pistol. If you can, you can get a revolver for carrying up hunting and have something smaller for carrying around out of the dirt and dust.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Ok just re-read the wording for Utah and South Dakota and anything over .24 cal and 500 lbs at the muzzle is good for deer. So that's good, I think last year south dakota had some funny wording.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
My problem with the .40 and the .45 is from what I've read anyway they just aren't enough for large predator animals, other than humans of course.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
357 or 44 mag revolver for your hunting protection.. find something else that fits the bill for personal protection - 40 or 45 :)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
My problem with the .40 and the .45 is from what I've read anyway they just aren't enough for large predator animals, other than humans of course.

Look up S&W Mountain gun, I believe they come in .44 mag or .45 long colt

easy to carry, enough to stop what you need.

if you need more than that, Ruger makes a .454 alaskan that is pretty packable...

if you need more than that you had better just take a slow friend, you don't have to out run the bear, just your buddy... :D

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I am a big fan of Auto's but I recently had to use mine after a few days of being out in the buggy and sure enough it worked the first time but would not feed the second round. I trust this weapon with my life when clean and it is my carry weapon. However it won't get carried on a trail ever again.

Whoa :eek: what's the story there???

LT.

At work I carry a Glock .40 with more than enough ammo to take care of business. I am a huge fan of the Glock and cannot imagine carrying anything else that I might need to depend on. If you are going to spend a large amount of time shooting then I would recommend a .45 Glock. The .45 is a low pressure, sub sonic round that is easier on the end user and fire arm. The .40 is just the opposite. High pressure, super sonic round that is more of a jump than the subtle push of the .45. I think that the Glock is just as reliable as any revolver in most situations and you can carry more ammo in the weapon. Remember that your shooting will drop an average of 40% in high stress situations. If you were a 90% shooter before add some stress and you just dropped to a 50% shooter. Not good odds there.

LT.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I'm not really looking for something to have for concealed carry although I might on occasion. Also this will not be a hunting pistol just a dangerous animal self defense weapon. And I am aware that I need to get my CCW before I can carry while hunting.

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that you are required to obtain a CFP in order to carry a sidearm while hunting.

76-10-504
Nothing in subsection (1) or (2) shall prohibit a person engaged in the lawful taking of protected or unprotected wildlife as defined in title 23, wildlife resource code of Utah, from carrying a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm with a barrel length of four inches or greater as long as the taking of wildlife does not occur:
(a) within the limits of a municipality in violation of that municipality's ordinances; or
(b) upon the highways of the state defined in section 41-6a-102

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that you are required to obtain a CFP in order to carry a sidearm while hunting.

76-10-504
Nothing in subsection (1) or (2) shall prohibit a person engaged in the lawful taking of protected or unprotected wildlife as defined in title 23, wildlife resource code of Utah, from carrying a concealed weapon or a concealed firearm with a barrel length of four inches or greater as long as the taking of wildlife does not occur:
(a) within the limits of a municipality in violation of that municipality's ordinances; or
(b) upon the highways of the state defined in section 41-6a-102

I think I was mis-reading the archery section, where it says you aren't allowed to carry a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloader while in the field for an archery hunt, then it goes on to say that it does not apply to someone who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon. I guess the wording just tricked me a little but you are right it does not say I can't carry a pistol while archery hunting.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'm leaning strongly towards a Glock 20 10mm. It's well within my price range, very reliable, easy to handle(I've shot one before) and seems to be a fair compromise on power versus capacity. I'm still not totally sure though, I think the main driving factor is the price I can get it for on base.