Hunting Sidearm?

STAG

On my grind
While hunting, my dad always carries a (old, I think like 1960's) highway-patrol issue .357 magnum revolver that he inherited from his father. And it is purely awesome. His best buddy carries a .44 magnum revolver with a 12" barrel.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
When I'm in the woods I am carrying my glock 17 about 95% of the time. 9mm isn't the best, but I can shoot the gun very well and it will not malfunction!!!! With 3 times the ammo as most revolvers and premium ammo I feel comfortable. I can carry it on me without intruding and I can fire it fast. I shoot 10000 or so rounds from this gun each year so it's what I prefer. I load it with federal load p9hs1 which is the preferred load for most law inforcment. If I'm on my 4 wheeler I will usually have a rifle on the front rack. I'm not to worried about needing a gun for wildlife as I am walking the streets of Salt Lake City... That being said, it's always a good feeling to know you could at least try to fight off a bear. If that bear is within 30 yards tho good luck!!

Lots of debate out there on this subject, but to each his own.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I'm leaning strongly towards a Glock 20 10mm. It's well within my price range, very reliable, easy to handle(I've shot one before) and seems to be a fair compromise on power versus capacity. I'm still not totally sure though, I think the main driving factor is the price I can get it for on base.

Glock has a great military discount program, I'm jelous. I have always wanted a 10mm, maybe one day. The best advise I have ever been given when it comes to choosing a gun is to buy something you can afford to shoot and shoot it as often as you can. It doesn't matter what the gun is, if youre not proficent with it, it's not going to be proficient for you. And you can't go wrong with a glock, I used to be anti-glock in my younger days until I started shooting competitively. You cant fight a gun that always functions, the only other pistol I would like to have is a M&P... A guy in our gun club has a 9mm and it shoots so nice, just can see having to buy a gun, mags, holster ect.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
So after more research and advice from a good friend I went with the Glock 20 10mm LE version. The price and wait on base actually sucked so I went to Impact Guns and got the Glock military price which even after tax was $110 cheaper than on base and I only have to wait ten days instead of six weeks on base. Even then the one on base wasn't the LE version with the night sights.

I also get their free 30 days at their range and military discount on everything else I get from them. Pretty sweet deal in my eyes.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
So after more research and advice from a good friend I went with the Glock 20 10mm LE version. The price and wait on base actually sucked so I went to Impact Guns and got the Glock military price which even after tax was $110 cheaper than on base and I only have to wait ten days instead of six weeks on base. Even then the one on base wasn't the LE version with the night sights.

I also get their free 30 days at their range and military discount on everything else I get from them. Pretty sweet deal in my eyes.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I had one of those. Nice gun, not my style, but sweet gun.

Enjoy.