Hunt's adventures in job searching

Hunt

I have had my resume out there for a while but the best way to describe it is inactively looking. Just keeping an ear out for an opportunity. Recently I moved into full on actively searching. LinkedIn and several head hunting firms that work with prior military folks have been my primary sources. I have interviewed with a ton of companies and turned down a couple of offers. They just didn't feel like the right one. I was very hesitant to start looking. All I kept hearing was how bad the economy is but there are a lot of jobs out there is what I am finding.

I am not in any hurry to leave my current position. I really do enjoy the people I work with and the type of work I do. It's just on the wrong side of the county.

I grew up in southern Arizona. My long time girl friend is originally form Colorado. Her brother is looking at taking a directors position in southern California so although Cali is not my ideal location we could make it work for the both of us. My girlfriend is a marine biologist so moving to a location that she can find work as well is important.

The most serious job I am considering is in Chatsworth, California. I have done two phone interviews, a Skype interview, an onsite working interview in Syracuse, NY and now I am prepping for a flight out to California next Thursday for the formal person to person interviews. 7 in one day next Friday.

I guess I am stressing over the idea of packing everything I own and leaving good friends to start all over. It is what we both want but its just the first step that is going to be tough.

Anyone know anything about the Chatsworth area?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Good to hear you may have something to get you out West Clayton! As for SoCal, it was NOT my cup of tea... too many people, too many rules/laws. Looks like Chatsworth is far enough out of LA that it would be a decent place.... but still close to the coast. Not much help here. Best of luck!

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
While I never really turned down too many job offers, I did interview for a lot of very good jobs and came in second place more times than I care to count. Linked In wasn't available when I retired from the Navy 12 years ago, but word of mouth was my best friend. My first job was gained off a simple phone call after lots of stress and a large stack of rejection cards. My second was another word of mouth. My third, well, wound up a bit outside my comfort zone, but led me to the position I have now, having been sniped from my last employer.

I'm not familiar with the Chatsworth area, but used to live in the San Diego area for a while. My only real concern with ANYWHERE in SoCal these days is traffic traffic traffic. I moved here from the Mojave desert and really loved the area and LACK of congestion. My property taxes here in Utah are only now half what I payed in Cali... During my unemployed period, I sought work outside California, which led to the edge of my comfort. But illegals were eligible for better benefits than I was. Once I realized I wasn't welcome in Cali, I found work in Nevada before transferring here, and then getting sniped.

(For the record, Cali was where I lived, not who I am. I like Utah just the way it is!)

Right now, the only way to get me back to Cali is more than double what I make here. I just can't stand the politics and DMV rules.

Good luck though with your interview! I hope its what you need and want.

Hunt

They made an official offer yesterday!
It all feels very surreal. I have been chasing this for such a long time and now that I have it I have to figure out what to do with it. Changing jobs locally is one thing. Friends, maybe family, support system and familiar things are in place if it does not work out. Change is never easy but uprooting life as I know it for a unknown future is freaking me out a little. I have done as much research on the company as I can and feel like I can mitigate that unknown. Finding new friends, a place to live, new shops and everything else that makes life run smooth is the adventure. Hell, just packing everything I own and getting to Cali is going to be a major undertaking.

I have a few days to think on it but it is looking pretty good that I am leaving NY soon.

Last edited:

smartass_kid

good for you! i did the same thing when i moved out to UT and it was worth it. since you don't have kids it should be easier than mine but before you move, PURGE. hard for guys to do; but if you don't need it and don't have a plan to use it with 6 months, sell it.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I understand the feeling...

College in Austin Texas, first job was in Maryland for 7 years, then North Texas for 7, then North Bay CA area for 5, then another 7 near Austin, now 2+ years here....
Next move will be after the house burns down with all the contents...

Hunt

I officially accepted the offer from the new job and tendered my resignation form my current position. I am going to stay on the job for 3 more weeks to finish out some projects. Then fly dad, who is retired, and my nephew, who is 13 and on summer break, out to NY and spend a week driving across the country. I start work July 29. I am overwhelmed and excited beyond words at the same time. Going to miss all my northeast friends but I am looking forward to making new ones. Hopefully I can start making some of the western events like Easter Jeep Safari next year.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Great to hear! I would be nervous and overwhelmed as well, that's a huge move! It's cool to hear you'll be in our neck of the desert more often. :D

Hunt

I recommend Penske BTW, nicer truck and great customer service.

Yeah, already booked the Penske truck. 26 footer, diesel, one way form $2200. Best deal I could find for a one way trip.

Great to hear! I would be nervous and overwhelmed as well, that's a huge move! It's cool to hear you'll be in our neck of the desert more often. :D

Huge is right. I am afraid to weigh all my crap once it's loaded. Should be around a 3000 mile trip.

Congrats on the new job and welcome to the left coast. Good luck on the transition.

Thanks. I am looking forward to meeting some of my imaginary internet friends.

smartass_kid

went back and checked my total from when i moved; 22-footer with car carrier from TN to UT $1300.00. mine was during january and 1500 miles so not too bad for bigger truck and twice the distance.

1adam12

THE BEAST
Check out ABF UPACK it may be a litlte more $ out the gate but it includes gas and ends up being cheaper in the end.

Caleb

Congrats on the new job and Welcome to the other side of the world :D I'd shoot myself before moving to Cali BUT...coming from NY, it will probably be a bit more relaxed :rofl: Should be a good move for you. When you're out this way on your journey across, if you need anything, post up I'm sure many guys would scramble to help you out.

Hunt

Check out ABF UPACK it may be a litlte more $ out the gate but it includes gas and ends up being cheaper in the end.

If you can get the man power http://www.movex.com/ moves household goods on a wholesale base/retail.

The household goods type of stuff is a pretty simple 2 bed room apartment. 80% of it is going in the trash. Most of the furniture I own was given to me when I was in the Navy and other people didn't want to move it.

It the shop/garage that is going to be the tough part. Most of the stuff in there, a standard moving company will not move. Torchmate table, mig, tig, finger brake, hydro bender, press about 20 feet of snapon tool boxes and storage, all the different compress gas cylinders, the list goes on and on. Everything I own that I want to keep is HEAVY! I have a solid plan to get it all moved. I will probably end up looking like the Beverly Hill Billies coming to Cali.

Congrats on the new job and Welcome to the other side of the world :D I'd shoot myself before moving to Cali BUT...coming from NY, it will probably be a bit more relaxed :rofl: Should be a good move for you. When you're out this way on your journey across, if you need anything, post up I'm sure many guys would scramble to help you out.

Thanks. It means a lot to have good make believe internet stranger-friends I can count on.

Rules and regulations wise I don't think my world is going to change much. Sure it would be nice to get to a less regulated state but I will settle for places to wheel, sun shine and no snow/salted roads. For now at least.

Hunt

I have made it to Arizona!. Everything I own is at least in the same county for the first time in 13 years. Some at my brother's place some at my parent's place. I'll be headed over to Cali tomorrow and starting my new job first thing Monday morning at 8am.