I just opened a Roth IRA, and am ready to invest in the stock market

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think that billboard might be a response to ads that were playing on csnbc saying that melvin had gotten rid of all their short positions. Last I saw shorts were still at like 112% of available stocks.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I haven't been able to access the WSB subreddit, but apparently Silver is the next thing to get boosted.

This will be interesting personally as my dad is heavily leveraged in silver and silver related industrial stocks. I’m curious what his sell point will be (if he’ll sell?). He went in VERY heavy with silver at about $30-35 per share probably about 10 years ago.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I haven't been able to access the WSB subreddit, but apparently Silver is the next thing to get boosted.

WSB says silver is fake news and propaganda from the hedgies trying to get people to abandon GME. Any and all of the threads on WSB warn against going into silver. They say that citadel has a huge interest in silver and thats why they, and their bots, are pushing it. Also, by moving interest from GME the price will drop and they'll be able to get out of their short positions without as big of losses.

On your drives to work today keep an eye out for the blip billboards that change ads. There are supposedly several across the valley that will be showing GME solidarity like what was posted earlier in NY.

Not sure why you can't access the sub. www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets should get you there.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
One more thing before I stop spamming this thread.

For those who are seeing all this chatter about shorting and being long and blah blah blah that don't understand what any of the lingo means. If you are interested in learning more about stocks and trading but are (rightfully) anxious about putting skin in the game, look into "paper trading." This is essentially making a game out of trading with pretend money. The paper trading platforms are build right on top of "real" trading platforms and use the same data, same companies, and same everything else, except when you execute a buy or sell you are using pretend money. You learn about limit transactions and other mechanisms available. Then, if and when you decide you start with cheeseburger money and go from there.

I understand there are many platforms out there to do this paper trading. The one I stumbled upon is from Webull. I don't know if one is better than another but kind of expect it to just be differences in the dashboard but its worth checking out if you are interested and want to do some pretend trading as you learn the ropes.

My mom has a bit of silver, so I will be watching with interest, but personally, I doubt that silver can be manipulated in quite the way that GME was. There is a reason silver and gold behave the way they do and it isn't necessarily as simple as a stock.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My mom has a bit of silver, so I will be watching with interest, but personally, I doubt that silver can be manipulated in quite the way that GME was. There is a reason silver and gold behave the way they do and it isn't necessarily as simple as a stock.

Silver and gold have been traded for centuries. I'm not sure if 3 million Reddit users COULD make a significant trade into precious metals? Maybe with their latest earnings they could swing the market? I think the GameStop market is smallish and more easily manipulated? The silver or gold markets are maybe the biggest things out there?

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
One more thing before I stop spamming this thread.

For those who are seeing all this chatter about shorting and being long and blah blah blah that don't understand what any of the lingo means. If you are interested in learning more about stocks and trading but are (rightfully) anxious about putting skin in the game, look into "paper trading." This is essentially making a game out of trading with pretend money. The paper trading platforms are build right on top of "real" trading platforms and use the same data, same companies, and same everything else, except when you execute a buy or sell you are using pretend money. You learn about limit transactions and other mechanisms available. Then, if and when you decide you start with cheeseburger money and go from there.

I understand there are many platforms out there to do this paper trading. The one I stumbled upon is from Webull. I don't know if one is better than another but kind of expect it to just be differences in the dashboard but its worth checking out if you are interested and want to do some pretend trading as you learn the ropes.
I just wish I wasn't on RH so I could buy more! Honestly the morning dips have been very predictable and there's a decent chunk of money to be made on buying the dip and selling 1 hour later... don't tell any WSB peeps I said that :rofl:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I had a RH account from like 4 years ago when they first opened and were invite only. I noodled around a bit but never bought anything and eventually tranferred the money I had there back out. I opened a fidelity account on like Thursday but didn't move any money in. Last night I decided to do that and deposited a check for a couple hundred via the fidelity mobile app. This morning it said those funds were available to use so I ended up buying AMC at like 16.50, right before it went down to the low 14s where its been holding since.

Last week I did pull some money from a rollover IRA I had moved to vanguard after I left that job and bought some different things. We'll see what happens but I'm low quantity trading. Nothing thats going to pay off my house regardless of how well they do.

I see it as just an opportunity to learn some more about how trading and stocks and EFTs and all that stuff work. I had to look up the amount I rolled over from the previous job to understand what my returns had been. Since summer 2014 I had doubled it with just a super simple target retirement account set for 2045. I know there are plenty of people that could have gotten a lot better returns, but for a simple smooth brained gorilla like me that is good enough. Generally speaking.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Yeah I just opened a TD Ameritrade account. It took like 10 minutes and I already bought more GME. I think I have a problem... 🚀🚀🚀🚀