I just opened a Roth IRA, and am ready to invest in the stock market

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I like that idea. I've been thinking about something for my kids, separate from our other investments (401k, Roth IRA, ESPP, 529's)

The idea is to put a few grand in now, grow it and then put it towards their first car or whatever. I guess need to put together a list of some stocks. Any input is appreciated!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
The idea is to put a few grand in now, grow it and then put it towards their first car or whatever. I guess need to put together a list of some stocks. Any input is appreciated!

For set-it-and-forget-it peace of mind, I would actually suggest putting money in an index fund (either S&P500 fund or total stock market fund) rather than individual stocks. While this would pay less in dividends, your child would never need to check on it--just ignore it and let it compound and grow over time.

I intentionally selected shares of AT&T for my niece because I wanted something that paid a high enough dividend for her to see measurable share growth right away. Indeed, AT&T's next dividend payout in February will buy her almost another tenth of a share at the current price. I am hoping this will encourage her to invest once she starts working.

Nate: probably the most important thing to decide--before you even choose any stocks--is what is the underlying goal for the investment account. Once you know that, you can choose stocks and/or funds accordingly.

N-Smooth

For set-it-and-forget-it peace of mind, I would actually suggest putting money in an index fund (either S&P500 fund or total stock market fund) rather than individual stocks. While this would pay less in dividends, your child would never need to check on it--just ignore it and let it compound and grow over time.

I intentionally selected shares of AT&T for my niece because I wanted something that paid a high enough dividend for her to see measurable share growth right away. Indeed, AT&T's next dividend payout in February will buy her almost another tenth of a share at the current price. I am hoping this will encourage her to invest once she starts working.

Nate: probably the most important thing to decide--before you even choose any stocks--is what is the underlying goal for the investment account. Once you know that, you can choose stocks and/or funds accordingly.

My kids are 8(in a couple weeks), 5 and 1. I think it’s just as much for an interesting learning experience for myself and them as it is for an actual return. If I can put in let’s say $1k per kid and have it be up a few grand each by the time they’re 16 that would be cool to offer it to them for buying a car or whatever they desire.
As far as the level of autonomy, I’m not looking for set it and forget it style investing but I also don’t want to be in such volatile markets that I feel the need to make trades more than once a quarter or something. While I’m sure I’ll check it every day I don’t want to have to do that. I like the dividend idea for the ability to reinvest and earlier today I was running some numbers based on AT&T in particular. That one has been on my watch list for years.

My wife gave me the good ol “I don’t care, do whatever” so I guess I’m going to have to figure this out sooner than later 😂😂😂

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
My kids are 8(in a couple weeks), 5 and 1. I think it’s just as much for an interesting learning experience for myself and them as it is for an actual return. If I can put in let’s say $1k per kid and have it be up a few grand each by the time they’re 16 that would be cool to offer it to them for buying a car or whatever they desire.

Okay, goal defined. Perfect.

As far as the level of autonomy, I’m not looking for set it and forget it style investing but I also don’t want to be in such volatile markets that I feel the need to make trades more than once a quarter or something. While I’m sure I’ll check it every day I don’t want to have to do that.

(Re-stating a gross simplification for conversation's sake) There are two primary ways to make money in the stock market: capital appreciation and dividends. The former follows the simple "buy low, sell high" mentality--you buy shares now, and hope that in the future when you want/need to sell them someone will pay you more for them than you did back in the day. During the time in between, your shares just sit there idle; you neither gain nor lose any money until the day you sell them. If you're going to follow the capital appreciation route, index funds are a great way to diversify and thus mitigate the risk of putting all your eggs in one basket.

If the company you own pays a dividend, then things change--every so often, the company shares some of its profits with you and thus your shares are actually doing something for your bottom line. In the case of my Roth IRA, my entire goal is to create a sustained 'passive income' from dividends. This forces me to keep an eye on all the holdings in my account--if one of them reduces or entirely cuts their dividend, I've lost income and I may need to make moves to restore it via purchasing other holdings. (My goal, of course, is to hold onto my companies for the long term... and so long as they don't reduce their dividends, that is precisely what I will do.)

The smart solution to this, of course, would be to only invest in extremely stable, mature companies whose profits are steady no matter what the current market condition (think JNJ, for example). Such stalwarts usually pay modest but extremely reliable dividends. For your kids, I think this would be great. Because I got such a late start in life, I need to make up for lost time by ramping up my aggression and investing in companies which pay higher dividends. I need to dig into corporate finances, consider balance sheets, debt load, income and free cash flows, and think about the future and where (I feel) the company is headed... and then invest accordingly. This is a lot more work.

(BTW: some index funds pay a small dividend--usually in the range of 0.5%-1.5% or so--and you can DRIP that just like with individual stock shares.)

You've said you don't want to go entirely to one end of the spectrum or the other... and there's no need to do so. You can 'mix it up' and blend these two extremes to whatever degree you like. Rather than invest each child's allotment into one specific stock, spread it out over a few holdings--some very conservative, some less so. Ignore the ol' reliables, and keep an eye on the more aggressive ones. Your choices are almost limitless. Develop a mix that suits your desires.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have 15 yrs to retirement ( :boom: )

Same here. Actually, had I known way back when what I know now and had I begun investing with my first job, I could probably be retired by now. Instead, I've got another 15 years to put myself where I want/need to be to leave the work force and be able to spend my time as I choose. I only hope that the family and friends I want to spend time with will still be alive then.

I have definitely ramped up my investments. I am now contributing 17% of my gross income to my 401(k), plus another ~10% to my Roth IRA, plus another ~5% to my HSA (which I am using solely as an IRA vehicle). Yes, that means I'm investing about 1/3 of my total income. As I said, I'm trying to make up for lost time.

If only I had started as a teen.

Tebbsjeep

So I've decided to learn from you guys, and get into the investment game. One of my family members makes quite a good living doing this professionally, and I finally asked him to help me set up a few accounts tomorrow. I should've asked for his help a long time ago.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
So I've decided to learn from you guys, and get into the investment game. One of my family members makes quite a good living doing this professionally, and I finally asked him to help me set up a few accounts tomorrow. I should've asked for his help a long time ago.

Wise move, and setting up investment accounts is pretty easy.

You may want to consider putting together a "system" that makes regular investments automatically happen. A lot of us tend to spend what's in our checking accounts. I made some changes to mine yesterday and further automated my investments. Direct deposit goes into a dedicated checking account at my local bank, and once a month, money is automatically transferred to Fidelity. For me its easier if that money never hits my primary checking account, because I tend to spend it on Bronco parts.

N-Smooth

So my 401k ended up with a 24% return thru 2020! Pretty happy about that and hoping 2021 is even better. I have 15 yrs to retirement ( :boom: ) and if I keep contributing $5k/yr with those kind of returns, I'll have a very healthy additional retirement fund.

I just checked and mine did 22.4% so I'm also excited. My current plan was to stop contributing over the company match and put that money into my ESPP but now I'm wondering... :rofl: but I have until July to decide since that's when the next ESPP enrollment period starts. I do think the ESPP is a better fit for me since I will be able to access those funds whenever I want. We'll see what happens between now and July.

I also got my robinhood account back up and running, now I'm waiting on my $3k for the kids to transfer over. It's going to take like 5 days so that's annoying.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
My current plan was to stop contributing over the company match and put that money into my ESPP but now I'm wondering... :rofl: but I have until July to decide since that's when the next ESPP enrollment period starts. I do think the ESPP is a better fit for me since I will be able to access those funds whenever I want. We'll see what happens between now and July.

Nate, check into Roth IRA's and even an after tax brokerage account.
You can always withdraw the original investment amount from a Roth IRA, without any penalties.

An after tax brokerage account is always 100% accessible but doesn't have the perks of other methods.

Also, if it comes down to it, and you wanted to pull from your 401k before the "standard age", you could look into a 72t. This isn't necessarily easy though.

Just wanted to mention that there are ways to access your investments if needed.

N-Smooth

Nate, check into Roth IRA's and even an after tax brokerage account.
You can always withdraw the original investment amount from a Roth IRA, without any penalties.

An after tax brokerage account is always 100% accessible but doesn't have the perks of other methods.

Also, if it comes down to it, and you wanted to pull from your 401k before the "standard age", you could look into a 72t. This isn't necessarily easy though.

Just wanted to mention that there are ways to access your investments if needed.
I can only do what my work offers but at least it's a Roth 401k. I know people that have been taking loans from their 401k's and IRA's to buy buggies but I'm not about that life. It stresses me out but it seems a lot of people do that.

Who knows, if I want to require bad enough maybe I'll just pay the fee for early withdrawal...? Either way I should probably not worry too much about it right now.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I can only do what my work offers but at least it's a Roth 401k. I know people that have been taking loans from their 401k's and IRA's to buy buggies but I'm not about that life. It stresses me out but it seems a lot of people do that.

Who knows, if I want to require bad enough maybe I'll just pay the fee for early withdrawal...? Either way I should probably not worry too much about it right now.

A Roth IRA and/or brokerage account is funded outside of your company, and is funded with after tax money. This is what I do. I use fidelity but any of the major players can set you up.

Oh, and don't pay the early withdrawl penalty. There are ways around it.

N-Smooth

A Roth IRA and/or brokerage account is funded outside of your company, and is funded with after tax money. This is what I do. I use fidelity but any of the major players can set you up.

Oh, and don't pay the early withdrawl penalty. There are ways around it.
My BIL is actually an expert so I certainly have access to some good info. He’s obsessed to the point that it’s annoying. He has a website, a podcast and a bunch of other stuff.

N-Smooth

Well, my $3k "kid fund" just appeared in my robinhood and I've invested it. It's amazing how much I feel like I'm sitting at a blackjack table :rofl: luckily it's a small amount.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Well, my $3k "kid fund" just appeared in my robinhood and I've invested it.

Yeah, I transfered my annual contribution limit ($7k) into my Roth on January 1st, but because that was a business holiday my funds didn't actually appear until Tuesday the 5th. This may not have been a bad thing, as overall Monday was a down day for the market. Tuesday morning I followed my plan and bought full positions in six new holdings, plus I filled out two of my partial positions into full ones. Now my total portfolio consists of 19 full positions and two partial ones.

Thinking ahead, next year I'll add another 6 or 7 new full positions. The year after that, I think I will begin building up some of my current holdings to larger size.

N-Smooth

What's going to happen to the market in the next week? Any predictions? I'm transferring a little more $ into my robinhood just in case there are some good buys...

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I don’t think there is anything that will majorly shake the market unless the feds announce some major changes. I just got my December statements from my broker and they show a 60% gain over the last 12 months. Almost all of that was in a focused growth fund. I am happy with how he is managing everything.