I know I know- I need to talk through this again

jdub

Scrambler
If you have discussed this with me before you might just want to skip this thread.

I am in the dilemma of what to do next with my Scrambler(If you are saying to yourself, "O, not again." I'm sorry this is a big decision for me. The decision is whether to do chev tbi or new I258.

The facts:

The Jeep is still a Jeep inside. It has a Mopar FI kit that works very well. I do have to run 91 octane which is a downer. I want to pay for 85 again. I currently am at 210k miles and probably have had 100k since a rebuild.

I can do anything that I want to do in this thing except go fast up hill at freeway speeds. For example, the hill from Camp Williams to 5milePass is a 45 tops for me. A tbi chev would fix that. My wife can't drive this thing cause it is stick, Auto would be nice.

Things to consider w/ chev:
I want to keep my factory ac.
I will have to adapt my d300.
New radiator.
Motor mounts of course.
Drivelines would need to be made.
New exhaust.

What else am I missing? Should I just throw another jeep 4.2 in or jump up to a chev swap? Let me know your insight.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I wouldn't say a TBI 350 would necessarily fix your uphill problem, but it might help a little. :D As in, faster than 45.

I forget what trans you run, but let's address, point by point.

1. most TBI motors have AC compressors, if not I've got the pass. side bracket w/compressor mount. :D Adapt the fittings.
2. Yeah, you'll have adapt your 300. You COULD adapt your transmission though, or use a full GM drivetrain w/an SYE NP241.
3. Maybe. There were lots of people keeping their 6cyl radiators when v8 swaps were discussed on the various FSJ boards. I kept mine when I swapped to a 360 and didn't overheat. Summit (Racing, not Machine), has Al. radiators for about $180.
4. yes, but they're super easy-- literally make a plate w/double bolt patterns. Very common among M715 guys to adapt motors. And those use a Jeep 6cyl mounting location.
5. Drivelines could be modded at any of our local driveline shops.
6. yeah, new exhaust... crossover IN FRONT of the oil pan if you can, and single it from teh transmission back or so.

You also missed the wiring. ;) Several aftermarket harnesses available, or kitbash your own.

jdub

Scrambler
See, I trust both of you 100% but can see the merits for both.

I'm pricing out the whole kit for a tbi and will see if that price equals what someone at Hesco could make me a hopped up block for. Block swap and done.

And on your side Mesha, you are right. If it were a cj7 that would be a different story...

Tacoma, thanks. Very useful info. I'd need to change radiators only solely for the tranny cooler line for an auto that I wan't to run.

I have 4.10's in my scrambler and 3.73 in the cj7 w/ chev 350/th350. It has a good range. If I throw chevy auto in, will my 4.10's and 35's be ok for freeway?

I just need my RME support group to talk me through this.

jdub

Scrambler
It looks to be sixes when pricing out a rebuild at $2-2500 and buying a chev drivetrain and doing the mods to get it to fit. Less work on the keeping it stock but, worth it for the needed hp and the wanted auto tranny.

I also enjoy simple and like my current set up so buying a block from someone for ~$3-500 used and throwing it in seems easy too.

jdub

Scrambler
Oh, my other question is..

My cj7 has a cat and a smog pump and is legit for a motor swap because it is within a certain year. If I remember right '85 needs certain steps like taking it down to the county to get it tested. Will there be any other hang ups legally with a chevy swap in an 85?

LT.

Just my humble opinion but, swapping motors is more involved then most first think. I guess if it was me I would be looking into some way of getting more out of the stock motor. This would keep everything as it is now and may also help your performance going up hills. Over all you keep your Jeep more usable and keep the stock pieces in place. A chevy 350 is a fantastic motor and it may help your performance but, at more cost then you may first think. Wires, plumbing, accessories, adapters and the like just to name a few. How much work are you willing to do and how much time are you willing to spend on this project? Answer these two questions and you may have your answer.

LT.

jdub

Scrambler
Just my humble opinion but, swapping motors is more involved then most first think. I guess if it was me I would be looking into some way of getting more out of the stock motor. This would keep everything as it is now and may also help your performance going up hills. Over all you keep your Jeep more usable and keep the stock pieces in place. A chevy 350 is a fantastic motor and it may help your performance but, at more cost then you may first think. Wires, plumbing, accessories, adapters and the like just to name a few. How much work are you willing to do and how much time are you willing to spend on this project? Answer these two questions and you may have your answer.

LT.

^agreed. I'm pretty happy with my current set up. When this motor is out(needing a rebuild) I want to know well what I'm looking at for a replacement.
I can do a lot of the work but don't trust myself with wiring, I have friends that can but imo it's a big favor to ask, so I'd have to price that in, for a shop to do. Hmmm.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
1. You can buy a whole lot of 91 gas for the price of the engine swap.
2. All girls should learn to drive a stick. Is that a Utah thing or something?

If you go for the chevy swap, be sure to figure at least 25% higher in parts cost to cover the small items no one thinks of.

Jedisdead

Jed
what about doing the 4.0 head swap, or just swap the whole 4.0 in. that will get you around 75 extra h.p. From what i was seeing it is a pretty simple swap.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Now Jedisdead has the right answer to me... get ahold of I think its DaveB he has a 4.0 in his scrambler... and he can tell you all the ins and outs....pros and cons

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If it were the CJ7 then put whatever in there you want, but not the scrambler:( I will pay you to stick with the original motor. It wont be much, I think I will start a fund at zion bank or something. I think you can get more out of the motor you have and you should do that.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Personal opinion here, but I think engine swaps and such are for those able to weigh the pros and cons and are prepared for the difficulty of not just the swap, but maintaining the one-off setup.

Which is why my Runner still has a 22re. :D

Jedisdead

Jed
If I remember correctly the 4.0 will bolt right up and you only had to splice around ten wires to get everything to work. I was referring to the newer high output not just the 232c.i. just to make my previous post more clear.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I can't remember now. I just gave it to a prince from ghana and a king from nigeria. I will email them and see if they remember. I should be getting a rather large sum deposited from them soon. As soon as that comes through I will send some your way.

jsudar

Throwing in a chevy 350 seems far too common a solution for the not enough power problem.

Get some cool stuff from Hesco and build a wicked 4.7 liter I6. There is something kind of cool about trying to wring every last bit of performance out of a straight six. V8's are too cliche.

gertsch

go a complete 4.0 swap out of a 91 or new wrangler or cherokee if u go with the cherokee u can get the aw4 auto it has an overdrive :) or just get the motor at least dont do the chevy swap cause u can run into a problems with emissons with ur county possibly i'm not sure what year there tampering cut off laws r.