I may need some help...

addifan

Replacing some bearinging. Has anyone done this before on a WJ? I am sure it is the same for most Jeeps. Anyway, this would be my first time doing this so it would actually be you teaching me more then helping me. Here is what needs to be done:

1. jack up front end
2. remove front tire
3. remove brake caliper (two 19mm bolts)
4. remove manual hub (allen head screws)
5. remove spindle nuts (2 of them, same as D44 nut wrench)
6. Pull off rotor and hub assembly
7. Remove bearings.
8. Install bearings and put back together.

Thanks!

Kevin

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
You've got it about right. There's probably some c-clips inside the hub you'll need to remove. C-clip pliers are nice, but you can do it with screwdrivers and needlenose. Have lots of rags on hand, 'cause it's greasy. Be sure to pack the bearings with fresh grease, and torque the axle nuts to proper specifications. If you get it too tight, you could roast the bearings, and too loose isn't good either.

Caleb

does the WJ have actual bearings or does it have the unibearing still? I thought it had the unibearing because I thought you can swap the knuckles onto other D30s...if its regular wheel bearings then you have it...if its unibearings then you just take it down to the unibearing and then undo the three 12pt bolts holding it on on the back...

But then again, dont you have custom axles? If so then I dot think it matters if its on a WJ, you have it right...

addifan

supergper said:
does the WJ have actual bearings or does it have the unibearing still? I thought it had the unibearing because I thought you can swap the knuckles onto other D30s...if its regular wheel bearings then you have it...if its unibearings then you just take it down to the unibearing and then undo the three 12pt bolts holding it on on the back...

But then again, dont you have custom axles? If so then I dot think it matters if its on a WJ, you have it right...

Yes, I have a Tera 50 in the front. My rig has a normal spindle and hub assembly and not a unitbearing design.

I have never done anything like this at all that's why I was seeking help. I may just have a 4x4 shop do the work.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
suv said:
You've got it about right. There's probably some c-clips inside the hub you'll need to remove. C-clip pliers are nice, but you can do it with screwdrivers and needlenose. Have lots of rags on hand, 'cause it's greasy. Be sure to pack the bearings with fresh grease, and torque the axle nuts to proper specifications. If you get it too tight, you could roast the bearings, and too loose isn't good either.

My bad! I gave him those instructions really quick in an email and I forgot to mention the clips ;)

There's one large ring clip that hugs the inside diameter of the hub and there's one c-clip on the end of the stub shaft.

FYI - This is for a custom front axle assembly that uses the Warn 5x5.5 manual hub conversion kit. (Very similar to D44)

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
You will need to remove the c-clips to get the inside part of the hub out. Otherwise, you couldn't get to the axle nuts. There is a clip holding the 2 parts of the inner hub together...you don't need to remove it. Just take out the 2 mentioned earlier and yank out the inner hub.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
How soon are you needing this done? I'm swamped this weekend, but I might be able to lend a hand next weekend if ya need.

addifan

It looks like I won't be fixing this, this weekend. It will be at the dealer since it's throwing a code and it is not drivable right now. :(

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
addifan said:
It looks like I won't be fixing this, this weekend. It will be at the dealer since it's throwing a code and it is not drivable right now. :(

Dude, that sucks :(

What kind of codes? It's not driving at all?