I Need a New Laptop

Taco4life

Just a few months ago I purchase a Dell Latitude E6400 from their refurbished program and have loved it! Dell also has a sweet next day guarantee, if your laptop has a problem you can call them and they will send you another one the next day. My uncle is an IT guy and has used this gurantee a few times. A year ago he spilled water on his keyboard and the next day he had a new laptop. In the end this was the seller for me, search their outlet on the website they have some good deals.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Shawn, search Dells offers, then when you have your computer built, right before you check out there's a box to enter a Coupon. Search the web for 'Dell Coupon', IIRC I got 20% off all 3 of my purchases.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
I have owned 2 or 3 HP's EVERY one of them ends up in a pile on my workbench at home.....including one of my parents.

devilbikerdude

i just replaced my broken less then 2year old HP with a new ASUS g50vt-x5, iv read nothing but good reviews on it, and i just bought it like 2 hours ago, and so far it kicks A$$!!! its made for gaming people, although i dont game at all. but its super fast and lots of space. check it out!!

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have a HP pavilion and the screen doesn't work but if you hook a monitor to it you can see fine... HP wants me to send it and a check for $300 and they will fix it... a fellow employee had one and they replaced the hard drive 5 times under warranty... I replaced my own hard drive with one I bought at EBC computers and it has been fine since..

But if I had to do it again I would not buy an HP... I carry a IBM thinkpad around (model t21.. yeah its old and only 900 mhz but works) as a tool for when I get into routers and switches for company work and I have never had a problem with it and I have had it for going on 9 yrs now... I think the new IBM thinkpads are great...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
You could always go visit Olly @ PC Laptops. I've been extremely please with my PC Laptop, its every bit as reliable as my Dell was, and 1/2 the price to boot. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Of course their commercials do bring the suck!

Which one does he work at??

Green Leader

I'm good at this, where are you saying to go? Dell?

Yup, just go on there website build up what you want online then call them will you have it up and haggle with them. A guy I work with talked them down $800 bucks on his laptop and it is a one of the nicest ones dell offers.

Caleb

I'll be the odd ball and say to avoid Dell. I have a Dell D820 for work and it's the biggest pile of crap. In the time I've been at my company (one year next month) I've replaced just about every user serviceable part on it, some more than once. Get this, it doesn't leave my desk. I don't ever take my laptop home, I use my Macs at home ( :rofl: ). I'm not that hard on equipment, but my Dell has been a piece. My company (fairly large ~1000-1500 employees) has recently switched from Dell laptops to Lenovos because we have had such poor luck with the Dells. Their Desktops and Displays are great, but I'd avoid their laptops.

Go talk with Olly, atleast you'll be supporting a local business that way :)

If I were to really voice my opinion I'd say get a Mac. :p

krazz1e

the question is how much are you willing to spend? with a laptop, the cheap ones are not built to last long.

macbook pro is built pretty well, but pricey. pc laptops are built well, but also pricey. Sounds like you are not very savvy (no offense) which means you might be better off with a laptop that you can get local support from.

therefore, pc laptop or macbook.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
the question is how much are you willing to spend? with a laptop, the cheap ones are not built to last long.

macbook pro is built pretty well, but pricey. pc laptops are built well, but also pricey. Sounds like you are not very savvy (no offense) which means you might be better off with a laptop that you can get local support from.

therefore, pc laptop or macbook.

I would rather stay in the 1K range and I have heard the "stay with the local" more times than you can imagine.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I would rather stay in the 1K range and I have heard the "stay with the local" more times than you can imagine.

:confused:

Hrrrrmmm... I bet I've got 20ish Dseries Dells in service for my friends and family and my old job. The only one I dont' like that much is the D820 but it's been fairly reliable (esp. compared to Caleb's).

At my current job, we standardize on the Dell D4xx series. They are SUPER portable, but not much of a desktop replacement like the 6xx series are. I'd estimate we have at least 4000-5000 in service around the world and the only real issues we have with those are hard drives that start running RE A L L Y slow.

Personally, I'd rather not deal with a "custom" built machine (I can "custom" build my Dells to my specs) with the various hardware flavors out there. For the few times I've had to ask for service on the Dell D6xx series, I'm quite happy with them and will continue to recommend them until they totally suck. They identify a problem over the phone, send me the replacement parts EXTREMELY fast (sometimes within 18 hours) and I replace the part and send the broken one back.

I've bought the refurbs (they ship faster than a custom machine that could take a few weeks to get to you) that were spec'd how I'd buy a machine and have only had an issue with one machine out of about 20 (which happens to be my wife's :rolleyes: ). I'd look at the Dell Outlet refurbs again. Sometimes there are some SCREAMING deals in there.

Oh, and I've tried to convert to the iReligion. It's fine and the hardware is SUPER nice, but it comes at a premium price and has a bit of a learning curve.

Last edited:

jpest

Anti-Social Networking
If you are a member at Costco they have a really good 90 day return policy and they extend the warranty antother year or two. I think you'd pay twice the price for a comparable machine at PC Laptops. Although the lifetime warrenty at PC laptops is hard to beat. In all actuallity if your laptop is more than a couple years old PC Laptops will try to push you to trade up for a new one rather than honor their warrenty.

I have been extremely happy with my HP from Costco. I bought one model just to see a new model come out about a month later that had a Blu-Ray drive. I just took it back and they took the return no questions asked.

I paid about $1300 for HP DV7-1023C

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Which one does he work at??

Good question, it changes on a weekly basis, you know Olly. He's been at the one on Redwood & 78th So, but is known to work in Orem, Las Vegas, Sandy, etc :D Give him a ring, if nothing else you get to see Olly in dress attire, something I still have a hard time imagining :rofl: (Olly's Cell: 5772606)

jdub

Scrambler
Mac is the best. Adobe suite for design is nice for me. I just love the user friendly attributes. The basic white macbook is on sale right now for $750. Lot of bang for your buck. I've owned this one for over 2 years and feel like it's just breaking in. My previous PC had a life span of only a year and a half. Mac is quality.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've owned this one for over 2 years and feel like it's just breaking in. My previous PC had a life span of only a year and a half. Mac is quality.

I swear I'm the only pc user with piles of computers around my house that all still work. I have no idea how you guys kill your hardware so fast... and I'm not nice to them either. :confused:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I have enjoyed the sweet Mac at my Manhattan hideaway, but... pricey.

I think I'm going to get a Dell next, this laptop is nearly dead and I want something with manufacturer support. PC Laptops is a close second because of the local issue, and the customization and all that... but they're kind of pricey too. We'll shake it out though.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I swear I'm the only pc user with piles of computers around my house that all still work. I have no idea how you guys kill your hardware so fast... and I'm not nice to them either. :confused:

This laptop had a hard life in my work truck for a couple years, and if it wasn't for the damage that did to the HD, I'd be keeping it and just upgrading the memory on it.... in fact, I'll probably get a new drive and keep it anyway. :D