I need some tire suggestions

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
I've just got the stock 2000 4runner, and I want to get some tires that will be great in snow/mud/etc., but also not have such an aggressive tread that it really cuts down on my gas mileage. I use this vehicle for family vacations driving thousands of miles (well, maybe once a year a trip over 1000 miles), and so I need to still maintain reasonable mileage. Any recommendations?

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
a few to start you out looking at
all pretty decent tires

BFG All Terrain
Goodyear Duratrac
Nitto terra grappler
toyo open country a/t

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Bfg km2 they are on dd tacoma I love them I still get same mileage as my former bfg at , and they are just as quiet. I also hear you can get good mileage out of them

Last edited:

Coco

I have had a coupleset of km2s, and they perform great on and off the road.

try the goodyear duratrac, or the hankook dynapro RF10

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I'm on my second set of BFG AT KO's on my 3rd gen 4Runner. I had the 265/75/16's and now have the 285's.

They really are a great all around tire, good street/higway manners, decent in snow aired down and aggressive enough for rocks.

All of mine have always taken alot of weight to balance.

When I do it again I will get the 255/85/16 KM2's

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
BFG's are always nice. This fall I put a Kuhmo Mohave on my wifes '96 4runner and couldn't believe the difference in the ride (from a Big-O at). Pretty good priced from Discount Tire (No I don't work there just where I bought mine). Looks pretty tame in the pic but looks a lot better mounted. I have been very happy with the traction in the snow as well.

kumvl5ang.jpg

Corban_White

I ran Toyo open country A/T on my Tacoma for the first 75,000 miles I had it.

129_0504_04_z+4x4_truck_tires+toyo_open_country_at.jpg

I absolutely loved them but when the time came to replace them the $1200 price tag for 4 285/75/16 OTD was more than I could afford. Other than the price I have nothing bad to say about them. So I am now running Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 and have been very happy with them. EDIT: doing some checking it looks like the Hankooks have come up in price quite a bit since I got them ~18 months ago. Still cheaper than the Toyos tho.

hanvl2.ang.jpg

I have about 25,000 miles on them and they have done really well. The traction is good and they are wearing about as well as the Toyos.

On my wife's 4runner I put some Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 on last spring.

brirl4.ang.jpg

They only have about 15,000 miles on them so I can't really comment on the longevity (so far they still look new) but the traction and ride is excellent. I can recommend any of these tires based on my experiences with them. The Toyos I had were LT load range D, the Hankooks are LT load range E and the Bridgestones are P rated. Any of them would be an excellent tire on a 4runner but for your intended use I would recommend a P rated tire. All three of these are available with that designation. FWIW I got the Toyos from Les Schwab and the other two from Discount.

Last edited:

Cherokeester

The Big O at was the worst tire I have ever run on my truck. Do not waste your money on that one. I have used the BFG AT on all my DD and they are hard to beat. I got 60k miles on my last set and I tow all the time.

SICK99TJ

you will get more mileage out of a "light truck" tire than the "passenger" rated tire. if you overply the tire for thevehicle u will get more mileage out of them and not sacrifice much ride quality. Unlike some folks on here i have had great success with Big O at's i have the LT265/70/17 on my grand cherokee and love them in the snow. I do have a updated version of this tire that is made by Cooper Tire for Big O now so it has been great. Toyos are over priced imo and no experience with the bfg's. My 10cents

sixstringsteve

The newer Big O A/Ts are the best tires I've ever run for that application, especially in snow. I'm even thinking of putting them on my next rig because they did so well in the dirt too. not as well as my KM2's, but they're a little friendlier on the pavement.

Last edited:

Caleb

The Big O at was the worst tire I have ever run on my truck. Do not waste your money on that one. I have used the BFG AT on all my DD and they are hard to beat. I got 60k miles on my last set and I tow all the time.

This is my exact experience. For a DD, my Big O A/T were horrible. I'll never even consider another Big O tire as an option because of them.

Cherokeester

The newer Big O A/Ts are the best tires I've ever run for that application, especially in snow. I'm even thinking of putting them on my next rig because they did so well in the dirt too. not as well as my KM2's, but they're a little friendlier on the pavement.

Just curious Steve what kind of mileage you got out of that Big O. After 20k all four of mine were cupped and worn out. And what is considered the "newer"?

SICK99TJ

not trying to cut in here, but the newer ones are about 2 yrs old. Goodyear produced the the AT for Big O for a long time and yes they cupped and wore out faster than anticipated on mileage. This tire is a tread warranty of 50k. on my grand i have 56k, but i also put a 10ply tire on knowing that it would last me longer.

sixstringsteve

Just curious Steve what kind of mileage you got out of that Big O. After 20k all four of mine were cupped and worn out. And what is considered the "newer"?

There are what I consider the "new" a/t's.
http://www.bigo.com/item.asp?id=266

I only put 10k on mine, so I don't know how long they last. I do know that they didn't wear nearly as fast as my old coopers, and they stayed very balanced for me and had exceptional traction. I've yet to find another tire with the same dry and snow traction. I plan on running them again.

I'd give my left nut to get 60K from BFG AT's on mine. Maybe 30k, rotated every 5k, monitoring air pressure, no burnouts, good alignment, even wear, no cupping, etc. (2002 eXcursion 7.3)

Love the traction and handling, just not the wear. I'll be lucky to get through the winter on my current set, I think I'm about 25k and there's only 1/4" tread left. I've had to chain up to get to my cabin, which I typically don't have to do (pic is of the 315's I had on it, now I run 305's)

I put a set of the BigO AT on my last work truck (2006 F150supercrew), they seemed better than the Toyo AT's which are on my current truck (2008 F150supercrew).

The Toyo's pretty much such in the snow, but I did manage to get up to the cabin last weekend without chaining up...though the roads were blown and had a nice hard pack, rather than being slushy/soft.

The '06 is up in Idaho this winter, I'll have to check on the tires. I hope they are rotating them.

Attachments

• X snow 2.jpg
    X snow 2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 7